Tubeless repair kits any recommended?

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited March 2019 in MTB buying advice
What tubeless repair kits do you guys have?

Unfortunately this morning on a ride to work I got a piece of metal stuck in my mtb rear tyre, brand new too and not sure the sealant is going to seal it.

Spun tyre a few times seems to be ok but not wanting to hope it'll hold on ride back, got a tube in my bag just in case.

I have a repair kit already but its not great and want something that's easy to use on the go.

Its the 2nd time this has happened, annoying but could have been worse.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Dynoplug. I have the Dynoplug Racer in my back pocket. Looks great on YouTube not used it in anger yet.
  • swod1
    Dynoplug. I have the Dynoplug Racer in my back pocket. Looks great on YouTube not used it in anger yet.

I've got the weldtite one but the thing that holds the rubber plugs is rubbish last time I tried it the plug kept falling inside the tyre.

Just annoying, in worst case if its not sealed I'll have to inner tube it home. I do have in extreme case the inside tyre patches if necessary at home to make a permanent repair.
  • Yes Wedtite didnt work for me. Every time I put the anchovie in and pumped up the tyre it didn’t seal. Hoping the Dynoplug is better.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I've never had a hole big enough to need a plug. Good job really as I don't carry a plug kit in my pack. What I do have is some self adhesive tyre patches for the inside.

By the way, the adhesive on tube patches and tyre patches does not last for ever. I needed to use a tube patch last year and the adhesive looked like brown sugar and was just as useful! So go check your patches now. :shock:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I've never had a hole big enough to need a plug. Good job really as I don't carry a plug kit in my pack. What I do have is some self adhesive tyre patches for the inside.

By the way, the adhesive on tube patches and tyre patches does not last for ever. I needed to use a tube patch last year and the adhesive looked like brown sugar and was just as useful! So go check your patches now. :shock:
    The problem with tyre patches is that you need to unseat the tyre to apply them. Good luck getting it seated again without putting a tube in if all you have is a mini pump. That problem admittedly goes away if you carry CO2.

I have a couple of plug sets, but I've not yet had to use them while out - I carry them more as a protection against sod's law. The Dynaplug Racer mentioned above is very nice, and is the one I carry when racing, but it is expensive and can only carry 2 plugs. Lezyne have a very nicely packaged one which carries about 5 plugs and screws together into a nice aluminium carrying case. It's also a lot cheaper than the Dynaplug. On the road bike, when I have a saddle bag, I carry a Maxalami one, but it's less of a nice solution than the Lezyne one.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The various tests I've read about plugs these seem to come out top, http://sahmurai-sword.uk/
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    I got a cut from a bit of glass that the sealant couldn't cope with! fitted a tube then patched the tire at home!
    Think that is the best.
  • swod1
    Thanks for the links, I’ll look at them and decide what to get.

It’s weird this tubeless, last night had to keep stopping to put air in my tyre as it wouldn’t seal and didn’t fancy a 7mile walk.

Once got home took the wheel off bike and shook it about like a mad man and then left it overnight, tyre is still up and doesn’t seem to be letting air out.

What’s that all about? I’m using uberbike race matrix sealant.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    whyamihere wrote:
    The problem with tyre patches is that you need to unseat the tyre to apply them. Good luck getting it seated again without putting a tube in if all you have is a mini pump. That problem admittedly goes away if you carry CO2.

I would use the tyre patches to stop the spare inner tube that I carry from being forced through the hole. No problem seating the tyre or using the mini-pump.
    Until recently I had no idea that tyre plugs for bikes existed. I like the look of the Sahmurai-Sword kit. :)
  • swod1
    whyamihere wrote:

I would use the tyre patches to stop the spare inner tube that I carry from being forced through the hole. No problem seating the tyre or using the mini-pump.
    Until recently I had no idea that tyre plugs for bikes existed. I like the look of the Sahmurai-Sword kit. :)

I'm definitely going to have to get a better kit, set off for work this morning got 10 minutes away and tyre went, sealant definitely wont seal this not sure it a hole until I look at it, might be a small slash or cut.

Looking likely it'll need patching on the inside, well annoyed as its a brand new tyre only had a few miles on it.