Comic Relief's white heroes and heroines...

Ben6899
Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
edited March 2019 in The cake stop
What's the collective thought on this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47400300
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Inevitably, British celebrities are going to be mostly white if they are reflective of the population as a whole. That seems like a bad reason to not get involved in Africa, but that's not to say that it shouldn't be done with some sensitivity to the point that Lammy makes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • showing a balanced view of Africa with an emphasis on the emerging middle classes will really tug at the heartstrings and get the donations flowing
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    not sure about that, but the other crew that are doing Kilamanjaro for comic relief.. WTF that's a holiday not something worthy of sponsorship
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    not sure about that, but the other crew that are doing Kilamanjaro for comic relief.. WTF that's a holiday not something worthy of sponsorship

Agreed. Comic relief seems to be a jolly for a certain group of celebrities (whatever they are).
    They might just as well host the show from Tree Tops, dressed in safari outfits and have 'locals' waiting on them hand and foot.

I also get cheesed off with Lenny Henry being wheeled out every year. He's not funny at all but I actually do like him as a serious actor.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    Mr Goo wrote:

Agreed. Comic relief seems to be a jolly for a certain group of celebrities (whatever they are).
    They might just as well host the show from Tree Tops, dressed in safari outfits and have 'locals' waiting on them hand and foot.

I also get cheesed off with Lenny Henry being wheeled out every year. He's not funny at all but I actually do like him as a serious actor.

TBF, he was one of the founders of CR, so difficult for him not to be involved.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    none of the MFs actually care about the article but just want to say that if anyone dares say anything bad about the divine Dooley, soon to be the new Mrs F, they will track them down and beat them senseless with rusy bits of steel bicycle frames. Probably the sharp bits.

you have been warned.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Whatever the rights and wrongs - fwiw, I'm certainly more in favour of economic development than aid - I'm at least grateful that Our Stace didn't do the normal thing and issue a grovelling apology. Her reply was a nice mix of faux-naive trolling and genuine exasperation at the nonsense of it all.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Without Comic Relief (a misnomer, as they broadcast any old shite), Sports Relief and Children in Need, how else would minor celebrities pat themselves on the back and the viewing public salve their conscience?
  • rjsterry
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Without Comic Relief (a misnomer, as they broadcast any old shite), Sports Relief and Children in Need, how else would minor celebrities pat themselves on the back and the viewing public salve their conscience?

You know you were whinging about what Cakestop had become...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Maybe Lammy could put his hand in his own pocket then. Oh wait, he's a politician... as you were
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    If Lammy had said Western rather than white it'd perhaps have been less problematical.

That's not to say there isn't a discussion to be had about colour as well as the form charity takes but would it be acceptable if these sort of shows carried on if only black celebs were chosen to visit Africa - I would suggest not. It opens up a debate though which isn't a bad thing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lammy is a racist, but that aside , we should have stopped handing money to african dictators to spend on jets and guns years ago.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Lammy’s point, with all its relative nuance, is pretty much bang on.

Delivery, less so.

He was more nuanced on This Morning and made an excellent argument.

It’s great people do stuff for charity but the format needs revamping to avoid the overtones he’s correctly articulated.

If it isn’t obvious why, look at the historical context.
  • rjsterry

Delivery, less so.

It’s great people do stuff for charity but the format needs revamping to avoid the overtones he’s correctly articulated.

So mostly it's yet another row brought about by two public figures not being particularly careful about how they express themselves on Twitter. Is there a medium of communication less well suited to debating complex issues? Perhaps semaphore or sky-writing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Delivery, less so.

So mostly it's yet another row brought about by two public figures not being particularly careful about how they express themselves on Twitter. Is there a medium of communication less well suited to debating complex issues? Perhaps semaphore or sky-writing.

It’s an amazing shift in the public debate from where it was 10 years ago. My wife couldn’t believe that all that stuff I was banging on about when we first met was actually being discussed on national (daytime) tv.

I’m honestly glad it’s being discussed. Fantastic.

On other mediums he’s been pretty good at teasing out what and why it’s bad and why it’s something Dooley has “run into” figuratively rather than anything quite so personal.
  • ballysmate
    I don't get the need for celebrities of whatever colour to be flown out there to make film clips. Surely CR or whoever's campaign it is can use local people and aid workers to make the films to get the message across. I don't get how using a celeb amplifies any message about suffering unless we have reached the sad state of affairs that people will only believe/will believe anything that a celebrity tells them.
    As I said earlier, for the most part I think CR etc is a vehicle for celebs to pat themselves on the back and for the general public to salve their conscience.
  • rick_chasey
    Omg Bally agrees with Lammy & me.
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry wrote:

Delivery, less so.

It’s an amazing shift in the public debate from where it was 10 years ago. My wife couldn’t believe that all that stuff I was banging on about when we first met was actually being discussed on national (daytime) tv.

I’m honestly glad it’s being discussed. Fantastic.

On other mediums he’s been pretty good at teasing out what and why it’s bad and why it’s something Dooley has “run into” figuratively rather than anything quite so personal.

Rick, I bet that was a remarkable first date. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah not *literally* when we met
  • ballysmate
    Omg Bally agrees with Lammy & me.

Perhaps I have converted you to my way of thinking. It's taken a while but I don't regard anyone as being beyond redemption, even you, Rick.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    There's a chap in my town who runs a second hand record store. He's ex navy and has all his memorabilia on the walls. He gets extremely vexed and animated when he talks about TV charity, especially Live Aid and the honorary knighthood bestowed upon Geldoff. Mainly because of his experience of seeing the rotting and decayed grain sat in warehouses on the East African coast. This because rather than Live Aid purchase and provide the lorries to transport the much needed life saving food. In their infinite wisdom the money was given to the government to source their own equipment...... Probably still accruing a nice rate of return in Swiss bank accounts for the old corrupt officials that appropriated the dosh.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Ben6899
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I don't get the need for celebrities of whatever colour to be flown out there to make film clips. Surely CR or whoever's campaign it is can use local people and aid workers to make the films to get the message across. I don't get how using a celeb amplifies any message about suffering unless we have reached the sad state of affairs that people will only believe/will believe anything that a celebrity tells them.
    As I said earlier, for the most part I think CR etc is a vehicle for celebs to pat themselves on the back and for the general public to salve their conscience.

I don't wholly disagree, Bally.

However it's the only way some people really understand the poverty and desperate situations that other people find themselves in. Whether it's drought and famine in Africa or homelessness over here, some people are simply blinkered to it and wouldn't dream of trying to make a difference.

If some sh1te "comedy" makes someone dig out a tenner, then I back it all the way.

(I still don't watch it)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    Mr Goo wrote:
    There's a chap in my town who runs a second hand record store. He's ex navy and has all his memorabilia on the walls. He gets extremely vexed and animated when he talks about TV charity, especially Live Aid and the honorary knighthood bestowed upon Geldoff. Mainly because of his experience of seeing the rotting and decayed grain sat in warehouses on the East African coast. This because rather than Live Aid purchase and provide the lorries to transport the much needed life saving food. In their infinite wisdom the money was given to the government to source their own equipment...... Probably still accruing a nice rate of return in Swiss bank accounts for the old corrupt officials that appropriated the dosh.

I think [second hand] record stores are making a bit of a comeback! Nice.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:

However it's the only way some people really understand the poverty and desperate situations that other people find themselves in. L

You know that’s one of the main thrusts of his argument?

That a lot of people only really understand Africa through the lens of Europeans turning up, saying how awful it all is and only you, the European, has the power to save them.

That’s what he’d like to get away from.
  • orraloon
    Ben6899 wrote:

However it's the only way some people really understand the poverty and desperate situations that other people find themselves in. L

That a lot of people only really understand Africa through the lens of Europeans turning up, saying how awful it all is and only you, the European, has the power to save them.

What alternative approach has he proposed, an actual thought through one not a standard politico-speak wishy washy? Genuine q, not trolling, but cannot be arrised trawling through loads of back commentary.
  • rick_chasey
    orraloon wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

What alternative approach has he proposed, an actual thought through one not a standard politico-speak wishy washy? Genuine q, not trolling, but cannot be arrised trawling through loads of back commentary.

He has proposed a using any of the myriad of local African celebs, farmers, film producers etc and working with them on a more constructive, modern approach.
  • orraloon
    Fair enough. Would that get as much dosh out of the UK resident TV watching population as current, or indeed a mix of the 2 approaches?
  • Ben6899

I understand this. But at the end of the day, the current method generates great financial aid.
    orraloon wrote:
    Fair enough. Would that get as much dosh out of the UK resident TV watching population as current, or indeed a mix of the 2 approaches?

It saddens me, but his proposals won't work as well as the status quo.
    Ben

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    orraloon wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

He has proposed a using any of the myriad of local African celebs, farmers, film producers etc and working with them on a more constructive, modern approach.

No, David Lammy is a campaigning racist with dual standards. He and his party are quite happy to promote the Palestinian cause and pedal antisematic dogma. He’s playing the black card, saying black is different and yet.... demanding colourblind equality when it suits.

All the other arguments are undone by the reality behind them. And yet like all good Labour Party trots he’s been the recipient of the very best education and opportunity that the West offers.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    No, David Lammy is a campaigning racist with dual standards. He and his party are quite happy to promote the Palestinian cause and pedal antisematic dogma.

Is that the new Pinarello, maybe Sky are getting one for Moscon to ride ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]