Rapha Classic Mitts - any good?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/classic ... CLM06XXNVY

Are these any good or worth a punt? Seem to have no padding!

I have some Rapha gloves I use in winter and they are quiet good.

Does anyone have some and can anyone recommend these?

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Can't say for those but I have a pair of Caratti ones which are similar and they are great in summer, only issues is on sunny days you end up with fun tan marks.

http://www.caratti.cc/cycle-clothing/ca ... chet-glove
  • Yep they are good, at that price. But don't expect padding.

I preferred similar Sealkinz ones I bought after the Rapha ones wore out and there was no Rapha sale, with padding, but they tended to not last and were about £30. Then there are some Giro ones which are more expensive, which one person I know raves about. If that is specifically the retro look you are after.

I think they all were Kangaroo leather, but I am sure buckskin will be just as good if you are not of the Veggie/Vegan brigade.
  • I find my hands have excellent padding, not so good at wiping snot and sweat away though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I have some Rapha PT ones, they’re starting to fall apart after three summers. Last autumn I bought some Rapha Brevet mitts from the archive store, so far so good, better than the PT ones IMO.
  • I've got two pairs of the GT mitts which have the same palm as the crotchet ones you're looking at. I like the GTs a lot. Once they stretch to fit they’re fantastically comfortable. If you’re fit to your road bike properly there’s really no need for padding IMO, not even on very long rides. Maybe for MTB and off-road riding, but not for road.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Mine fell apart after a few weeks, I guess I need to return them. last time i returned gloves to Rapha they got lost and I never got them back, perhaps it was the Australian post.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,610
    For unpadded mitts the Giro Zero 2s are superb.
  • its just more expensive tatt. dont wear gloves unless its less than 6 degrees. HTFU
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,431
    All well and good til u come off and rip ur palms up
  • All well and good til u come off and rip ur palms up
    Do you wear knee pads and elbow pads?
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,431
    No but after making a mess of my knee in July I did get asked too :lol: Most people tend to put their hands down as a natural reaction when falling rather than knees and elbows. You tend to use hands for lots of other stuff too, things u don't use knees and elbows for.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Finally bought the Caratti mitts from Rutland for £4.50! A lot less than the Rapha ones!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    All well and good til u come off and rip ur palms up
    Do you wear knee pads and elbow pads?

It's really hard doing a lot of things with no skin on your hands. Knees and elbows aren't an issue.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I wore these gloves last summer. Really liked them. No padding but that’s what I like. I’d recommend getting a size that feels tight st first because they stretch a little with time. I’ve heard a few people say they’ve fallen apart too easy but mine have been fine.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift