GPS upgrade - any point?

lakesluddite
lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello all. I currently have adorning my stem a Garmin Edge 25, and have had so for some years. It has done me great service for years now, and I am quite happy with it.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/508489

Unfortunately, in the last few weeks it seems to have developed condensation underneath the screen, which not only leads to the screen fogging over (making the display difficult to read), but on a couple of occasions it turned itself off completely mid ride. When I turned it back on it had to re-calibrate the clock, and the ride up to then was lost.

So, the dilemma is - if it does give up the ghost completely, do I just go for another one, or would either of these options, which I can get for not much more (£30 or so more with BC discount at Halfords/Evans) be worth it? I don't really need that much from a unit - speed, distance, elevation, the ability to upload and follow a route, maybe connect to a HRM. One thing I would like is an increase in battery life - the Edge 25 gets me to work and back okay, but not much more than 4 or 5 hours these days (probably due to the age of the unit - I realise a new 25 probably would have a longer battery life).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/596828

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyclin ... e-computer

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Surely if you was even considering spending £150 on a Garmin 520 you would be thinking you maise well spend an extra £30 and get the wahoo elemnt bolt. It's meant to be worth the extra in a lot of ways.

These days there seems to be no comparison between Garmin and wahoo in there comparable price ranges.

I don't own either so what do I know....but I was thinking about getting the wahoo a week ago and did alot if research and always came out far ahead of the Garmin 520
  • New Garmin 25, £69 on Sports Pursuit

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/1711627

Just sayin.....
  • Re battery life

I've got an old 800 (2012?) and a 1000. The 800 battery is still good despite daily use, on audaxes I've just plugged in a small usb powerbank and this has kept me going for 300km (slowly!)

I know Garmin has lots of detractors but they've always worked flawlessly for me, I kind of understand my way around them and although I'm sure the Wahoo's are great I see no great advantages in them for me.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If I was in your position, I would try to get a used Garmin Edge 500 from eBay. I did just that last year and picked up a mint black one for £50 + £4 postage. When it turned up, the battery proved to be as good as new but I did have it in mind that I might need to fit a new one if that was not the case - it's an easy and low cost job if needed and I've already done it on another Edge 500 which is still in use in use and as good as when I first bought it 8 or 9 years ago. Reliability of both has always been spot on.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • You get maps with the 520 which makes it much easier to use for following routes, if you don't do that then there is little point in spending that kind of money. But the 520 is not a great unit, it has limited storage which means that you can't store a large area of maps and have to take care to upload the relevant map tiles for your route before setting off. I know a couple of 520 users who have had they units for some time and still get caught out. It's battery is too small too, so it only lasts about 5 hours if you're doing navigation.

The 520+is significantly better, but it's also significantly more expensive. As Bongofish has already recommended the Wahoo Bolt offers great functionality for a little more than the 520. Its storage will hold maps of most of the world and it has a battery life of about 5 hours when you're using the map.
  • If you are happy with the features of your 25 then just get another one! :-)

If you ever plan on using navigation or more sensors (eg: powermeter) then spend a little more now and get the Garmin 520 or Wahoo Bolt or even the Garmin 820, which has better mapping and a colour touch screen. I've used all three and I prefer the touch screen and menus of the 820, but it's obviously more expensive. The Bolt is a cracking piece of kit. Setting it up using your phone is ace, so simple. I wasn't a fan of the mapping and navigation though.

Bongofish wrote:
    I don't own either so what do I know....
    Not enough.
  • bongofish
    bongofish Posts: 123
    If you are happy with the features of your 25 then just get another one! :-)

If you ever plan on using navigation or more sensors (eg: powermeter) then spend a little more now and get the Garmin 520 or Wahoo Bolt or even the Garmin 820, which has better mapping and a colour touch screen. I've used all three and I prefer the touch screen and menus of the 820, but it's obviously more expensive. The Bolt is a cracking piece of kit. Setting it up using your phone is ace, so simple. I wasn't a fan of the mapping and navigation though.

Bongofish wrote:
    Not enough.

Edited by mod, homophobic slurs will get you banned. Play nice or leave.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I went from garmin 500 to bolt, and i am very happy. Is equal to 520+ but much cheaper. Thats my suggestion.

P.S. Dont even think to buy 820 and its crappy touch screen
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    As Bongofish has already recommended the Wahoo Bolt offers great functionality for a little more than the 520. Its storage will hold maps of most of the world and it has a battery life of about 5 hours when you're using the map.

Mine lasts a lot longer than that.

The main advantage of the Wahoo ELEMNT devices is the simplicity to set up compared to Garmin devices and I say that as someone that has had three Garmin Edge devices over the years. The ball ache is the need to use Ridewithgps or Komoot if you want proper turn by turn notifications. Some complain about the monochrome screen ignoring the benefits of it in bright or dull light that enables you to see it at all times.

One disadvantage is the inability to accurately pair with smart trainers other than the Wahoo Kickr series. Try re-riding a route from the device on your TACX, Elite etc smart trainer and you'll hit warp speed and no resistance. The Garmin Edge on the other hand will connect with a lot of other manufacturers trainers accurately.

You don't mention using it with a smart trainer, so as long as you're not bothered by the lack of a coloured screen and are prepared to use a free Ridewithgps account to create your routes, I'd go for the Wahoo ELEMNT. If you think you're going to be using it with a smart trainer in the future and it isn't a Kickr, I'd go for the 520 Plus.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • £98 gets you https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-co ... 46427.html and I've seen https://www.merlincycles.com/lezyne-meg ... 15033.html at £150 during several promos in the last few months.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Bongofish wrote:
    If you are happy with the features of your 25 then just get another one! :-)
    Bongofish wrote:
    Not enough.

Shut up you turd burglar
    Nope. Plus homophobic insults don't fly these days. Not on.

You stated you have ZERO experience with any of the devices, I've owned or used all of the ones mentioned so can offer actual advice based on usage and experience. So my statement rings true, you don't know enough.