Shimano Rs80 C24 Wheel Carbon Delamination

edrogers26
edrogers26 Posts: 4
edited February 2019 in Workshop
I bought a pair of second hand Shimano Rs80 c24 wheels which have been superb as an upgrade on my road bike.

Upon doing a full bike tune up, I noticed the rear wheel has some delamination around the carbon laminate near the valve as per the photo below. Will this affect the structural integrity of the wheels or is the laminate just to assist aerodynamics. If it is the latter any advice on fixing it?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9QWw797NNHkVb9kw5
9QWw797NNHkVb9kw5

That was question one :wink: .I also noticed the freewheel has started making some nasty noises. Does anyone have any advice for attempting to service one? Can get a replacement online for just over twenty quid if not.

Should also say the rims have plenty of life in them with the wear indicators still very visible.

Cheers

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The laminate is not there to assist aerodynamics, because C24s are not a particularly 'aero' wheel in terms of profile. The laminate is there to add strength to the alu underneath, so it's quite possible that the wheel may be compromised. Some more pics would help. Having said that, failure on the rear wheel is less of an issue than failure on the front, so keep an eye on it..
  • More photos! https://photos.app.goo.gl/cfhvUPDGMsz9hi7g6

Ah not the news I was hoping for. Just had a look the front is in perfect nic but the back has that spot by the valve and another small area elsewhere on the same side.
  • i have exactly the same thing on a Duraace rear. Theyre going back, its not uncommon which is a shame cause the first version the 1385 were truly awesome and have no defects like this over ten years and 40,000 miles after i got them It shows i dont brake much because the breaking surface is very very thin :).

Otherwise ace wheels

Re the freehub body. once thats gone you have to decide if its worth replacing the non consumer repairable body at well over £100. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It shows i dont brake much because the breaking surface is very very thin :).

The braking surface is no thinner than any other rim - it's the rest of the rim profile which is thinner, hence the carbon laminate over it to add strength/rigidity..
  • Imposter wrote:
    It shows i dont brake much because the breaking surface is very very thin :).

The braking surface is no thinner than any other rim - it's the rest of the rim profile which is thinner, hence the carbon laminate over it to add strength/rigidity..

Its thin now......
  • i have exactly the same thing on a Duraace rear. Theyre going back, its not uncommon which is a shame cause the first version the 1385 were truly awesome and have no defects like this over ten years and 40,000 miles after i got them It shows i dont brake much because the breaking surface is very very thin :).

Otherwise ace wheels

Re the freehub body. once thats gone you have to decide if its worth replacing the non consumer repairable body at well over £100. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for the reply! Forgive my naivety but is it not a case of swapping and changing the hub body with a new one? https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-whrs10-cassette-freehub-body-y4dv98110/
  • edrogers26 wrote:
    i have exactly the same thing on a Duraace rear. Theyre going back, its not uncommon which is a shame cause the first version the 1385 were truly awesome and have no defects like this over ten years and 40,000 miles after i got them It shows i dont brake much because the breaking surface is very very thin :).

Otherwise ace wheels

Thanks for the reply! Forgive my naivety but is it not a case of swapping and changing the hub body with a new one? https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-whrs10-cassette-freehub-body-y4dv98110/

Ahhh it might be. The one that fits my hub is a hundred notes plus, I thought they were all the same.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the carbon section of the rims are prone to delaminating due to almost standard wear and tear. my old da9000 c24s were like that after 18 months. depends where and how they are stored as well. damp places don't help.
  • they shouldnt be prone to delaminating though, its a structural part of a wheel that costs north of a thousand pounds. the previous edition (the ten speed ones ) suffer no such issues. Im going to send mine back
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    mine were stored in a damp garage, and at one point the paint bubbled slightly. that was just before the rim went below tolerance so I binned them.