dura ace 9000 hub turned to fixed gear!

philbar72
philbar72 Posts: 2,229
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Yesterday at the back end of my ride and fortunately on the way home, my freehub decided to not freewheel any more. it had been sounding rough for a few days but, when it went in to fixed mode it was a bit of a surprise.

I had the thing disassembled the day before and regreased everything that I could sse but I fear it may be irreparably damaged.

it has done 30000 km rain or shine so I think it might just pay to replace it as the spares cost more than a decent hub....

any views on what I need to do?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    sounds like freewheel is done. Have a look at prices of new ones or just buy some Obermayers

then get the broken one, smash it with a hammer, set fire to it and lob it in next door's garden.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72
    sounds like freewheel is done. Have a look at prices of new ones or just buy some Obermayers

then get the broken one, smash it with a hammer, set fire to it and lob it in next door's garden.

my thoughts exactly. except perhaps i'll just get a hope hub and fit it in place of the dead dura ace hub, and get replacement spokes etc. maybe...

any views on hope vs Dura ace vs whatever else is out there on the market place?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,434
    Is it 11 speed? 'Cos then Campag is compatible with it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Shimano freehubs are completely enclosed, so there is not much service you can do. If it's done 30K, it owes you nothing. Just get a new freehub. The old one might be a bit of a pig to unscrew, as these things are torqued as if they were car engine components... maybe ask Sigma to do it. Being a titanium freehub, I suspect it won't be a cheap spare part
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pinno wrote:
    Is it 11 speed? 'Cos then Campag is compatible with it.

How so? They don't even have the same mounting system... one slides on the axle and the other screws on the hub body

Fulcrum-Campagnolo-Freehub-Body-Hub-Spares-Silver-Grey-RF2107178.jpg

9751.jpg
  • philbar72
    Shimano freehubs are completely enclosed, so there is not much service you can do. If it's done 30K, it owes you nothing. Just get a new freehub. The old one might be a bit of a pig to unscrew, as these things are torqued as if they were car engine components... maybe ask Sigma to do it. Being a titanium freehub, I suspect it won't be a cheap spare part

the way I see it, is its a full hub replacement. I took the user serviceable section apart again yesterday and it looks as though its died. the non user parts were sounding very rough and its pretty clear it had seized....

i'll replace with a hope or similar hub when I get paid. (this was the zipp wheel you rebuilt for me). as you say, its done its time!
  • philbar72 wrote:
    Shimano freehubs are completely enclosed, so there is not much service you can do. If it's done 30K, it owes you nothing. Just get a new freehub. The old one might be a bit of a pig to unscrew, as these things are torqued as if they were car engine components... maybe ask Sigma to do it. Being a titanium freehub, I suspect it won't be a cheap spare part

the way I see it, is its a full hub replacement. I took the user serviceable section apart again yesterday and it looks as though its died. the non user parts were sounding very rough and its pretty clear it had seized....

i'll replace with a hope or similar hub when I get paid. (this was the zipp wheel you rebuilt for me). as you say, its done its time!

Remind the builder there are oval washers on the nipples. If you don't find anyone who wants to do it for less than a million in London, send it to the Midlands and I should be able to do it for a couple of pints of Purity Lawless :D

Paolo
  • philbar72

Remind the builder there are oval washers on the nipples. If you don't find anyone who wants to do it for less than a million in London, send it to the Midlands and I should be able to do it for a couple of pints of Purity Lawless :D

Paolo

wise words mate. ta.
  • the freehubs for Dura ace are seriously expensive, it's a pain they cant be serviced. Mind you if youve let the rest of it get completly trashed you probably wouldnt have dont the free hub in time either :)

if the rim has 30k miles on it, is it really worth rebuilding with and expensive hub?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    check the rim please before paying £140 for a new freehub.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • left the forum March 2023

• :lol: jolly good ugo :)
  • philbar72
    the freehubs for Dura ace are seriously expensive, it's a pain they cant be serviced. Mind you if youve let the rest of it get completly trashed you probably wouldnt have dont the free hub in time either :)

if the rim has 30k miles on it, is it really worth rebuilding with and expensive hub?

they were serviced every quarter to the best of my limited ability. also because one part isn't user serviceable it was only a matter of time.... still when it gave out it was pretty spectacular....

as for the rim, it is fine. both front and rear are sound. though yes I get what you and cycle clinic are saying. I don't brake much :D
  • philbar72 wrote:
    I don't brake much :D

Hence the need to freewheel a lot... :lol:
  • philbar72
    true, a definite conundrum. the 303's are very very strong wheels though.

of interest, are there any mechanical properties I should look out for, I know of obvious patches of glazing or where the brake surface appears glazed (remember these rims predate any form of impregnated materiel into the build). I think i'll have another look at the rim and double check, just in case!
  • philbar72 wrote:
    true, a definite conundrum. the 303's are very very strong wheels though.

of interest, are there any mechanical properties I should look out for, I know of obvious patches of glazing or where the brake surface appears glazed (remember these rims predate any form of impregnated materiel into the build). I think i'll have another look at the rim and double check, just in case!

Just check rim thickness against the front one, if you've got over 1 mm, then you are good... there are gauges to do so