Fines for tossers

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited February 2019 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peloton ... dons-away/

It's about time race organizers did something about pros throwing wrappers and bottles. It may be a small thing and i know that fans pick up many of the bottles, but it never looks good and i sure there are plenty of new viewers who are shocked at this behavior.

Comments

• Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    inseine wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peloton-faces-higher-fines-for-tossing-empty-bidons-away/

It's about time race organizers did something about pros throwing wrappers and bottles. It may be a small thing and i know that fans pick up many of the bottles, but it never looks good and i sure there are plenty of new viewers who are shocked at this behaviour.

And causes the occasional mishap or pileup with riders swerving to avoid the bottles as they bounce off of a car and back in to the pack.... :roll:

I like the idea of having places to dump them every x KM rather than just tossing them into a random hedgerow... Of course.. if they are obviously going to be picked up by members of the public so if they want to do that... by all means... but nobody is going to pick up your manky sweaty energy bar wrapper :lol:
  • inseine wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peloton-faces-higher-fines-for-tossing-empty-bidons-away/

It's about time race organizers did something about pros throwing wrappers and bottles. It may be a small thing and i know that fans pick up many of the bottles, but it never looks good and i sure there are plenty of new viewers who are shocked at this behavior.

Ah this is a massive bugbear of mine, recently many "good enough to be pro's" have taken up cycling and it seems tossing gel wrappers to the floor is acceptable behaviour and part of the pack behaviour. As for the real pros, many even quite large races have zones for dumping rubbish with fines being dished out for transgressors which i for one think is an eminently sensible thing, certainly no hassle for the riders and doesnt interfere with the race. And if it does interfere it interferes evenly.

The bottles issue is more challenging because the riders need fluids and they're not readily available. There is def an issue replenishing riders if bottles also have to be collected and returned as well.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    Having so many cars driving during a cycling race is a much bigger pet peeve of mine.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Having so many cars driving during a cycling race is a much bigger pet peeve of mine.

And the busses running the whole time when parked. I thought this would come out, but small steps are important too.
  • inseine wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

And the busses running the whole time when parked. I thought this would come out, but small steps are important too.

Air con, and showers / power innit. Plus they might need a quick getaway if someone comes to check jiffy bags etc
  • Are there not people employed on pro stages to pick up all the circus litter?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Doubt it. It's a long walk with those litter picker uppers and a plastic bag. I'd not want that job.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    inseine wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Wasn't aware this was the case. That is pretty terrible.
  • m.r.m.
    Are there not people employed on pro stages to pick up all the circus litter?
    Isn't that how triathlon was invented? :wink::mrgreen:
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Dunno about what happens in France, Italy, Spain etc, but I thought that in the UK the organisers typically have to pay for the route to be cleaned up afterwards. Now whether that means each gel wrapper is picked up over a 150-200km route is unlikely .............
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It might be a good idea to provide some sort of rubbish van to drive near the commissaires car for the riders to dump their rubbish rather than going all the way back to their cars.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Isn't that how triathlon was invented? :wink::mrgreen:

Tri is ahead of cycling here. One pro was disqualified from a win - his cap blew off his head as he ran down the finishing chute. He was disqualified for littering !