Garmin mount - extender required

ariege_cyclist
ariege_cyclist Posts: 98
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

sorry if this has already been covered, I couldn't find anything on the forum before!

I have recently been bought a nice (but long!) Garmin 1030.
However my bars are a one piece stem and bar combo that comes with a mount suitable for a Garmin 810 but not the larger units. The supplier doesn't make a longer mount for my bars.

Does anyone know of a simple part that would clip in to the standard mount and thus provide another mount a couple of centimeters further forward? This would seem to be a simple part to solve this sort of problem, but I haven't found anything available.

My other option is 3d print a longer version of what I have (and I've asked for the CAD file from the supplier), but a simple extender piece would probably be stronger, even if it raises the unit up by a small amount.

Cheers.

Comments

• Would raising the garmin up a bit help?

https://fabric.cc/products/lights/lumar ... ont-light/

Possibly a slight aero penalty though lol
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Try raceware they 3d print custom mounts.

https://www.racewaredirect.co/
  • Thanks for the comments.
    I have emailed raceware - hopefully they can help.
    Unfortunately I would have to raise the unit up quite a bit to clear the bars, not sure the fabric light would be enough, but I'll check it as a possible solution. The extra wight would probably make it worth going back to a normal bar/stem combination though.
  • Fabric light weighs 32g on my kitchen scales.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Fabric light weighs 32g on my kitchen scales.
    its a good light as well. 32g is a "heavy" fart.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I’ve had to replace my Fabric Lumaray three times - the weight of my Garmin 1000, and now 1030 snaps the Fabric mount out of the top of the Lumaray when going over bumpy road surfaces. The mount is glued in plastic and obviously designed to fail before the body of the light, but I don’t think they have got the design right yet. In the end I mounted it below my K-Edge rather than between it and the Garmin.

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    I’ve had to replace my Fabric Lumaray three times - the weight of my Garmin 1000, and now 1030 snaps the Fabric mount out of the top of the Lumaray when going over bumpy road surfaces. The mount is glued in plastic and obviously designed to fail before the body of the light, but I don’t think they have got the design right yet. In the end I mounted it below my K-Edge rather than between it and the Garmin.

PP

Fair point, no such problems with my 520 but it’s probably half the weight.
    Do bike and ski stuff.