Bib Shorts With Thermal Base Layer or Full Length Bib Tights?

User2024
User2024 Posts: 16
edited March 2019 in Road beginners
Just want your recommendation on cycle clothing, was thinking of getting another pair of B'Twin shorts or full length bib tights, currently I own only 1 pair of Bib Shorts and no full length tights.

I don't cycle in winter but went on a few rides over weekend I just had my Bib Shorts over a thermal base layer that I got from Sports Direct kept me comfortable tbh.

Do the full length bib tights have any advantages (with the exception of keeping me warm and dry) ?

Currently debating between these two products.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/road-c-900- ... 87203.html
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-500-wint ... 02381.html

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,458
    If you don't need to be any warmer, then stick with the shorts. I find full length tights to be less comfortable to ride in than shorts unless it's freezing.

Or get some 3/4 length and split the difference.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if you get a cold chest you will still need to wear a thermal base with long bib shorts as your chest is exposed.

if you get cold legs crack on with longs.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Bib tights till it gets to double figures, the leg warmers till it’s in the mid teens.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    Bib tights till it gets to double figures, the leg warmers till it’s in the mid teens.

nah.

leg warmers when you want leg warmers, full bibs when you want full bibs, shorts when you want shorts.

telling someone what clothes to wear because it is x degrees is silly, wrong and so clubbie.

#don'tdoit.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    Webboo wrote:

nah.

leg warmers when you want leg warmers, full bibs when you want full bibs, shorts when you want shorts.

telling someone what clothes to wear because it is x degrees is silly, wrong and so clubbie.

#don'tdoit.
    I was merely saying what I do. Maybe it’s a bit more tropical down there in Wales.
  • Matthewfalle
    just sayin' that people run at diffetent temperatures.

and yes - Wales, God's own country and the beaters of England currently have the hottest temperatures on record in the British Isles

#99cone

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    just sayin' that people run at diffetent temperatures.

and yes - Wales, God's own country and the beaters of England currently have the hottest temperatures on record in the British Isles

#99cone
    Clearly you are as deluded as milemuncher as Gods own country is Yorkshire, where tomorrow I will be wearing my red Assos bib tights.
  • Matthewfalle
    God thought that He may take Yorkshire as his own country but then realised Edwyn's Emporioum and Bazar was across t'border so He departed.

Red? Nice. What colour bi-cycle? Please say lime green Cannondale. Please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    God thought that He may take Yorkshire as his own country but then realised Edwyn's Emporioum and Bazar was across t'border so He departed.

Red? Nice. What colour bi-cycle? Please say lime green Cannondale. Please.
    Tomorrow’s bike will be a white and green Orbea.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I prefer thermal bib shorts and Roubaix leg warmers in winter over bib tights. That way you are not limited on leg length for a good fit. Also, it makes them more versatile because you can wear them without the leg warmers during spring/ autumn when the temperature is not too cold, but not warm enough for a full summer short.

I also ripped the knee open on a pair of longs when I had an off. Would have been cheaper to replace a leg warmer rather than a full set of tights...

PP
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Bib wise Im with Pete, gives you options, I have some waterproof roubaix bibs an leg warmers which have served me well for a fair while.

Chest wise you you get cold I would recommend the B-Twin windproof base layer, I got one and it was brilliant, meant I didnt need a jacket just a jersey an my nanoflex arm wamers.