Advice On A Tendon Issue

Zaidelle
Zaidelle Posts: 4
Hi Guys.

I was wondering if anybody could give any advice about a problem I've been having around my biceps fermerous tendon (bottom the the hamstring).

The problem started around June last year and has been getting progressively worse and I've had to have the last 2 months off work because being on my feet for more than 10 minutes gives me a great deal of pain that peaks over time and becomes completely intolerable, it's kind of a dull, heavy pain behind my knee and initially the physiotherapist diagnosed it as being tendinitis. But after 10 weeks of physio and 2 months off work the physio has recommended that i have an MRI (which hast been confirmed yet) to rule out a physical illness, and he also decided to that the problem was likely to be psychosomatic (my brain creating pain where there's no physical reason For there to be pain)

Although i can cycle without pain, walk up the stairs etc without feeling a thing, when i bend down and try to touch my toes, i feel an unhealthy kind of pulling exactly where the aforementioned tendon runs down. But when I stand or walk for 10 minutes or more the pain starts and gets worse until i sit down, and depending how long I've been stood up, the pain can take over a day to slowly go down completely.

So basically, i can put pressure on it by cycling or going up stairs but having an extended leg for a bit makes it hurts...(i dont know if this is making sense)

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before, because im incredibly concerned that i will be denied an MRI and have treatment for the psychosomatic pain when i can feel it stretching unhealthily and im almost certain there's a physical problem because of that. I'm just losing my marbles over it a little, because 2 months off work and 10 weeks of physio that started before my sick leave should be enough inactivity to fix tendinitis right?

Also, the doctor gave me some Naproxen which is an anti inflammatory painkiller which didn't touch it (this was back when i was working)

Just anything anybody could say would be greatly appreciated...

Kind Regards

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Was it an NHS physio ?

I know the qualification is the same - but a private physio might be worth a shot, I had a similar thing at the other end of the hamstring it went on for 3 years - I was lucky that I got to see a sports injury consultant on the NHS

Eventually the cure was cross frictional massage and dry needling - Both quite difficult treatments to get on the NHS (im) - it flared up again, this time I booked to see a private physio - who did the dry needling and massage 2 session and 2 weeks - sorted.

There is a big push in the NHS for relaxtion classes for pain - which could be where they are going with mind over matter stuff

Also look at some eccentric hamstring stretches....

pm if you want details of the consultant that helped me out - although I doubt you would get to see him on the NHS.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Was it an NHS physio ?

I know the qualification is the same - but a private physio might be worth a shot, I had a similar thing at the other end of the hamstring it went on for 3 years - I was lucky that I got to see a sports injury consultant on the NHS

Eventually the cure was cross frictional massage and dry needling - Both quite difficult treatments to get on the NHS (im) - it flared up again, this time I booked to see a private physio - who did the dry needling and massage 2 session and 2 weeks - sorted.

There is a big push in the NHS for relaxtion classes for pain - which could be where they are going with mind over matter stuff

pm if you want details of the consultant that helped me out - although I doubt you would get to see him on the NHS.

Hiya, thanks for reading and replying :)

It was an NHS physio yes, i found them to be quite underwhelming to be honest and have considered going private, which is something I'll likely do eventually.

Do you know what your issue actually was? and whether it would show up on an MRI at all?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Zaidelle wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Was it an NHS physio ?

It was an NHS physio yes, i found them to be quite underwhelming to be honest and have considered going private, which is something I'll likely do eventually.

Do you know what your issue actually was? and whether it would show up on an MRI at all?
    Just to I am say I am not a qualified medical person. But this is my experience/feeings

My problem was high hamstring tendonathapy - the other end of the hamstring to yourself. Unfortunately the scans didn't show it (probably because it was so long after the flare up) - so the HHT diagnosis was wrongly ruled out - It was only when I seen the sports injury consultant that he worked with a diagnosis of HHT - in spite of the scans not showing it.

I am a big fan of the NHS - but physio is one area where private is better IMO - If that hamstring needs heeling it might need a helping hand - which is where some dry needling might help. The NHS for orthopaedics is moving to non invasive treatments - the guidelines are supposedly coming from NICE - I am sceptical myself

Personally I wouldn't wait for the MRI - Even if it does show something there is no way of knowing if that is what causing the pain.

Phone a physio - give them your provisional diagnosis and see what they say IME - a good one will be able to say provisionally what they would be doing - any that aren't sure - well it will be obvious. A few private physio sessions shouldn't cost to much.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Zaidelle wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Was it an NHS physio ?

Just to I am say I am not a qualified medical person. But this is my experience/feeings

My problem was high hamstring tendonathapy - the other end of the hamstring to yourself. Unfortunately the scans didn't show it (probably because it was so long after the flare up) - so the HHT diagnosis was wrongly ruled out - It was only when I seen the sports injury consultant that he worked with a diagnosis of HHT - in spite of the scans not showing it.

I am a big fan of the NHS - but physio is one area where private is better IMO - If that hamstring needs heeling it might need a helping hand - which is where some dry needling might help. The NHS for orthopaedics is moving to non invasive treatments - the guidelines are supposedly coming from NICE - I am sceptical myself

Personally I wouldn't wait for the MRI - Even if it does show something there is no way of knowing if that is what causing the pain.

Phone a physio - give them your provisional diagnosis and see what they say IME - a good one will be able to say provisionally what they would be doing - any that aren't sure - well it will be obvious. A few private physio sessions shouldn't cost to much.

Thank you very much for replying in such depth, it is truly appreciated.

I will look at costs for private and see if i can work something out whilst I've got some time off work still.

Again, thank you so much!