Going from 27 to a 30 cassette

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Currently riding 10 speed Veloce on my Bianchi,with a 27-11 on the back.
Just wondering if I fitted a 12 - 30 would I need to add a longer chain. Not planning on changing the deurallier at all.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Try it and see ? With a new block you'd probably want to replace the chain anyway ?

Have you checked your rear mech can handle it ?
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    cougie wrote:
    Try it and see ? With a new block you'd probably want to replace the chain anyway ?

Apparently it's the biggest I can go without replacing rear mech, was going to replace chain anyhow but this is my first chain replacement so wondered if I could just go off the length of the original chain.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    We don't know what length of chain you have in there now.
  • stoveman wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Apparently it's the biggest I can go without replacing rear mech, was going to replace chain anyhow but this is my first chain replacement so wondered if I could just go off the length of the original chain.

Dont bother counting links or any of that bollocks. If youve got the right mech and cassette, put the chain on so its just under pressure in small small (small ring at front and rear) and the mech will take care of the rest. its what the mech is designed to do.

Some people reccomend big big but then what happens if you put a bigger cassette on? (assuming there is a bigger one that the mech will work with)

In any case just offer it up and cut then join. Daunting at first given the price of chains but actually most people find it a piece of p iss and another skill is in the bag.