10 speed to 11 speed cassette change

prcody
prcody Posts: 67
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Just curious as to how hard it is to change from a 105 10 speed cassette to an 11 speed Ultegra cassette I have about the place. I am looking at a 2014 cyclocross bike in good condition and it has 10 speed. How hard is it to change it to an 11 speed? Would I have to get a new chain due to cog width, free-hub and what else would I need.

I want the bike as a winter bike and to try cyclocross racing on and ideally want to have 11 speed as my current bike is 11 speed. If its too much hassle I would leave it as it is.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your rear wheel will take the 11 speed cassette then you'd need an 11 speed chain, an 11 speed RH shifter, and an 11 speed rear mech. If you want matching shifters you'd need a new LH one too

So probably not worth it for the uses you describe.

(I'm stuck with 10 speed because my wheelsets won't take 11 speed cassettes)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nick is back...
  • keef66
    The ten speed rear mech shouldn’t need changing, it’s just a dumb slave unit, the magic happens in the brifter.

Unless it happens to be a Tiagra 4700 mech it will need changing. Shimano changed the cable pull when they moved to 11 speed, and annoyingly 10 speed Tiagra 4700.

And since it's a 2014 bike and 4700 was launched in 2015, I think it will need a new rear mech.

Unless the OP really does have magic shifters that is...
  • keef66
    Imposter wrote:
    Nick is back...

AAAArgh!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The ten speed rear mech shouldn’t need changing, it’s just a dumb slave unit, the magic happens in the brifter.

ignore this. the man is an imbecile.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    My mistake. Quite right, SRAM didn’t change the ratios between 10 -11 speed, but Shimano did.

With only 4 posts currently, Nick is still in the 'contrite' stage of his forum lifecycle. Once he gets to around 20+ posts (if he ever gets there) he usually replies with abuse and smug superiority, rather than contrition. It's fascinating watching him - like one of those flies on nature programmes, with the really short lifespan...
  • The ten speed rear mech shouldn’t need changing, it’s just a dumb slave unit, the magic happens in the brifter.

Granted, I forgot that Shimano changed pull ratios when they went to 11 speed.

You only need a singlespeed 55 x11 anyway, given your enormous torque which is necessary for carrying your 35kg backpack
  • Matthewfalle

Granted, I forgot that Shimano changed pull ratios when they went to 11 speed.

You only need a singlespeed 55 x11 anyway, given your enormous torque which is necessary for carrying your 55kg backpack
    ftfy :D

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Many a true word spoken in jest. And I love a good SS / fixie, 55x11 is a massive gear though. With a 700c wheel, that’s going to be over 131 inches

This post is the actual definition of 'delusional'...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    keef66 wrote:

Unless it happens to be a Tiagra 4700 mech it will need changing. Shimano changed the cable pull when they moved to 11 speed, and annoyingly 10 speed Tiagra 4700.

And since it's a 2014 bike and 4700 was launched in 2015, I think it will need a new rear mech.

My mistake. Quite right, SRAM didn’t change the ratios between 10 -11 speed, but Shimano did.

SRAM has never changed their ratios. You're Nick and I claim my £10.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I know SRAM haven’t ever changed the ratios, that’s what I said, your point is?

that everything you post is either:

wrong
    disrespectful
    rude
    gibberish

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    or all four...
  • keef66
    philthy3 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I know SRAM haven’t ever changed the ratios, that’s what I said, your point is?

Why did you introduce SRAM into the thread?? The OP mentions a 10 speed 105 and an 11 speed Ultegra cassette...
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Correct and we all agree so why can we not simply ignore him.

Instead we have pages of bickering. It is what the sad ba+tard wants.

It is killing this forum.
  • if you add him to enemy list you cant see him. But then his propaganda can spread unhindered by the facts.

It is our duty to defend fellow forumites from duff and dangerous information!
  • Matthewfalle
    lesfirth wrote:

agree that its doing the forum's head in.

the problem is that someone who doesn't know him will believe whatever shyte he has posted and will end hurting themselves/breaking their bike/wasting money/joining a club and this cannot be allowed.

can josh just ban him again please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

the problem is that someone who doesn't know him will believe whatever shyte he has posted and will end hurting themselves/breaking their bike/wasting money/joining a club and this cannot be allowed.

can josh just ban him again please.

Agree with this (apart from the club bit). It's impossible to ignore Nick's persistent trolling and incredible, repetitive bullshit for that reason.
  • keef66
    + 8

I don't bother unless I think he's giving duff advice to somebody who might act on it. Then I think it only fair to point it out to the OP.
  • Matthewfalle
    keef66 wrote:
    + 8

I don't bother unless I think he's giving duff advice to somebody who might act on it. Then I think it only fair to point it out to the OP.

so thats all the time then?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 wrote:
    + 8

so thats all the time then?

Pretty much :(
  • lesfirth wrote:

I quite like him. It's sport of a sort.
  • imposter2.0
    lesfirth wrote:

I quite like him. It's sport of a sort.

Join cyclechat then, so you can spend more time with him. His bullshit goes largely unchallenged over there...
  • imposter2.0

Someone ( quite rightly ) made a point of saying that the thing that causes the issues with any forum, is people talking about others in a way other than which they would if they were talking to them in an office or a pub. I guarantee you that you wouldn’t talk to me like that in an office / pub / whatever ( not more than once anyway ).

Why is that Nick - what would you do?
    No, what’s killing the forum is a ( very few ) posters, trying to be the ‘big man’ all the time, and in doing so, actually breaking a load of forum rules and conditions ( particularly the ones about attacking other posters). Not much ever seems to get done about it though, which means that any new posters, soon decide they don’t want to be a part of a small, rude, cliquey, childish, treehouse / playground, and look for answers elsewhere.

Says the guy who has been banned 10 times previously, and whose current forum name relates to one of the USA's sickest and most notorious/perverted serial killers. You seem to have a thing for serial killers, given some of your previous usernames and avatars have also paid homage to other notorious/sick mass murderers.

As for the bit in bold - if only you would take your own advice and stop polluting these forums.
  • Tedbundy’sUndys wrote:

Someone ( quite rightly ) made a point of saying that the thing that causes the issues with any forum, is people talking about others in a way other than which they would if they were talking to them in an office or a pub. I guarantee you that you wouldn’t talk to me like that in an office / pub / whatever ( not more than once anyway ).

BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • imposter2.0
    I think Nick has inadvertently posted the most ironic comment yet seen on these forums. Which in itself is also ironic, given his extensive/excessive use of the spiderman 'irony' meme earlier
  • Matthewfalle
    Tedbundy’sUndys wrote:

BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

i'd tell you if you were being silly and so would everyone else I'm currently looking at here.

and yes, it would only be the once because you would fully understand what we were saying so there would be no need to discuss it

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.