Jussie Smollett

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
This is a shitstorm going on in America at the moment, one of my news subscriptions is Fox News (don’t have a go, I think it’s important to know what the people you disagree with are thinking!) and they have been going to town on this story,.

Basically Jussie Smollett is an actor famous for a role in ‘Empire’ which I have never seen or heard of, who was reportedly attacked by two men who shouted racist and homophobic slurs and were wearing MAGA caps. It’s fair to say that the liberal media (CNN, MNSBC etc) reports gave great credence to the racial and homophobic and the MAGA aspects of the story.

However within a few days the story began to unravel and it has seemingly been reported that the attackers were known to Smollett and he paid them to stage the attack, he has now been arrested and the Chief of Chicago police has given Smollett an absolute savaging in a press conference

It’s been an enlightening experience watching the commentators from both the right and left trying to put their spin on the events but I think it’s fair to say that Smollett’s career is firmly in the toilet

Comments

• crispybug2 wrote:
    This is a shitstorm going on in America at the moment, one of my news subscriptions is Fox News (don’t have a go, I think it’s important to know what the people you disagree with are thinking!) and they have been going to town on this story,.

Basically Jussie Smollett is an actor famous for a role in ‘Empire’ which I have never seen or heard of, who was reportedly attacked by two men who shouted racist and homophobic slurs and were wearing MAGA caps. It’s fair to say that the liberal media (CNN, MNSBC etc) reports gave great credence to the racial and homophobic and the MAGA aspects of the story.

However within a few days the story began to unravel and it has seemingly been reported that the attackers were known to Smollett and he paid them to stage the attack, he has now been arrested and the Chief of Chicago police has given Smollett an absolute savaging in a press conference

It’s been an enlightening experience watching the commentators from both the right and left trying to put their spin on the events but I think it’s fair to say that Smollett’s career is firmly in the toilet

Could you confirm his race and sexuality
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Trevor Noah said it best. He said people used to hate Smollett because he was black and gay - now they hate him because he's an asshole. At least the're now judging him on the content of his character rather than the colour of his skin/sexual orientation - which is progress...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    crispybug2 wrote:

Could you confirm his race and sexuality

What, do you want Crispy to shag him? :?
  • Sorry to appear ignorant, but what is a MAGA?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Make A Gammon Annoyed
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Sorry to appear ignorant, but what is a MAGA?

‘Make America Great Again’

The central premise of his story was that he was attacked by Donald Trump supporters
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

You've heard of Donald Trump, right?
  • crispybug2 wrote:

The central premise of his story was that he was attacked by Donald Trump supporters

Thanks for the explanation, must admit have stopped watching / listening to the news of late.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So a story about someone you don't know in a show you haven't seen in America ? Good job Britain is calm eh - nothing going on.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    crispybug2 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, must admit have stopped watching / listening to the news of late.

America is apparently a large continent t'other side of a large body of water called 'The Atlantic'. I have no idea why.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Robert88 wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

America is apparently a large continent t'other side of a large body of water called 'The Atlantic'. I have no idea why.

It's called The Atlantic after a brand of ale brewed near its eastern coastline in Cornwall.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    This thread is already *so* ripe for an Adam Curtis hot take.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    This thread is already *so* ripe for an Adam Curtis hot take.

A what now?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition