Winter tyre choice?

janwal
janwal Posts: 489
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Being retired I like to ride as much as possible over winter,usually 2-3 times a week. Mixture of road,track and some gravel canal paths. Have had 30 Schwalbe g ones on which have been brilliant. Sadly the rear has flattened off fairly quickly and two punctures in a week mean it has been binned. Would like something a bit longer lasting. So some opinions on the following non tubeless tyres to fit under mudguards. The LGG’s look best price wise but any info on easy of fitting etc on any of them would be much appreciated.
Clement Strada LGG,28c. £20
GP 4 seasons 28c £32.50
Panaracer gravel king 28c £24
Strada Bianca. 30c £29

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    janwal wrote:
    Being retired I like to ride as much as possible over winter,usually 2-3 times a week. Mixture of road,track and some gravel canal paths. Have had 30 Schwalbe g ones on which have been brilliant. Sadly the rear has flattened off fairly quickly and two punctures in a week mean it has been binned. Would like something a bit longer lasting. So some opinions on the following non tubeless tyres to fit under mudguards. The LGG’s look best price wise but any info on easy of fitting etc on any of them would be much appreciated.
    Clement Strada LGG,28c. £20
    GP 4 seasons 28c £32.50
    Panaracer gravel king 28c £24
    Strada Bianca. 30c £29

I can get conti 4 season 28 on without levers if thats any help? Good mixture of grip/weight/puncture protection/rolling resistance. Sometimes Halfords have good deals and if you know anyone with staff discount that helps.
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Worth also considering Specialized Roubaix Pros. I have the 30/32 size on my winter bike.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Conti square of as qucikly as schwalbles so dont bother.

The challange strada bianca tyre can do alot of miles without squaring off too badly. The version i used is the open tubular.

The only tyres that last for me are IRC tubeless tyres but I doubt your using tubeless tyres.

with tyres you do get what you pay for.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • meursault

The challange strada bianca tyre can do alot of miles without squaring off too badly. The version i used is the open tubular.

The only tyres that last for me are IRC tubeless tyres but I doubt your using tubeless tyres.

What does square off mean? and how quickly?

Voltaire
  • I would have recommended gator skins until this week. They have been bullet proof for me for the last 9 months. I've got them in my three bikes and not one puncture and done dirt tracks and paths and gravel and alot of road on all bikes.

But got thrown off at a corner luckily at low speed when abit wet. Puncture. Protection has so far been faultless but I have now got one bike currently getting a service and continental season 4 getting out on to try them out. Hopefully the puncture protection in them is as good .
  • meursault wrote:

Square off means when the curved profile of a tyre is flattened so you end up with a flat centre profile on the tyre with two shoulders.

How soon square off happens will depend on rubber compound and tyre width. On 25mm Contis with a more longitudinal contact patch I've had it happen after 1,500-2,000 miles with the tyre worn through after 2,500 miles. With a wider tyre the contact patch is rounder and so more of the overall rubber is in contact with the road so it can last longer. The 28mm Pirelli P Zero I have on the rear of my road bike has done over 5,000 miles and still has a round profile.

I know people talk a lot about the benefits of wider tyres being grip and/or comfort but I've realised it can also offer value for money in terms of longer life out of a race grippy tyre.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

Square off means when the curved profile of a tyre is flattened so you end up with a flat centre profile on the tyre with two shoulders.

How soon square off happens will depend on rubber compound and tyre width. On 25mm Contis with a more longitudinal contact patch I've had it happen after 1,500-2,000 miles with the tyre worn through after 2,500 miles. With a wider tyre the contact patch is rounder and so more of the overall rubber is in contact with the road so it can last longer. The 28mm Pirelli P Zero I have on the rear of my road bike has done over 5,000 miles and still has a round profile.

I know people talk a lot about the benefits of wider tyres being grip and/or comfort but I've realised it can also offer value for money in terms of longer life out of a race grippy tyre.

TYVM, seems logical.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Bongofish wrote:
    I would have recommended gator skins until this week. They have been bullet proof for me for the last 9 months. I've got them in my three bikes and not one puncture and done dirt tracks and paths and gravel and alot of road on all bikes.

But got thrown off at a corner luckily at low speed when abit wet. Puncture. Protection has so far been faultless but I have now got one bike currently getting a service and continental season 4 getting out on to try them out. Hopefully the puncture protection in them is as good .

You give up some puncture protection 4 season V Gatorskins, but it's well worth it for better rolling tyre and grip.

Voltaire
  • I used to use Gatorskins for the Winter. Agree with others re the grip issues. Not good at all unfortunately and gave up on them after an off.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I use Schwalbe Duranos winter and summer in 25 and 28. The occasional puncture but no unwanted slides and I get 5000 miles for less than £20. What more can I want.