Seriously considering buying this.

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod172940

Any thoughts?

My main question would be can anyone tell me anymore about the tyres. Will they still actually be any good in the road being that wide?

Would like to use it. As a proper summer adventure bike fields and tracks and back into roads and then as a full blown winter road bike.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,584
    Are you pulling our peckers Bongo?

A week or two back you couldn't possibly afford to stretch your budget for your road bike beyond £700.

Then the other day you announced you were leaving this horrible forum never to return...
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Are you pulling our peckers Bongo?

A week or two back you couldn't possibly afford to stretch your budget for your road bike beyond £700.

Then the other day you announced you were leaving this horrible forum never to return...

Thought I would give it another try and see if it could work. Also my financial situation has changed.

Would love to just get replys to the actual question like I do on other peoples threads. Why can't people here just answer the questions and be curtiios?
  • Have you thought about an electric bike?

We need to be pushing electric bikes above electric cars, and I always will. The kg efficieny plays on my mind.
  • Have you thought about an electric bike?

We need to be pushing electric bikes above electric cars, and I always will. The kg efficieny plays on my mind.

I had one and the 15.5mph limit killed it for me. Just ended up cycling a heavy bike over the motor assistance nearly everywhere.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Have you thought about an electric bike?

Well Bongo I did not expect that you would get a serious answer and I don't think that you expected to either but the above drivel isn't funny ,it isn't even amusing.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah I'd not be calling Sean Yates names Mr oxoman.

Who cares if there's a battery. All bikes are good.
  • lesfirth wrote:

Well Bongo I did not expect that you would get a serious answer and I don't think that you expected to either but the above drivel isn't funny ,it isn't even amusing.

I'm honestly so confused. All I did was ask a question the the bikes buying advice section about a bike I may purchase. I honestly don't get what I'm doing so wrong and feel like I'm getting bullied....
  • So let me get this straight - looking at your posts you bought 2 x MTB, then you bought a gravel bike, then you bought a road bike, then you sent that road bike back and got another road bike, then you asked about 500 wheels, then you asked about a bike for your 'wife' and now you're off to buy a 1700 quid gravel bike - all in the space of a few months.

You're not being bullied milemuncher.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Take a look at the Ribble CGR range or Genesis Fugio - I think you can pick up some bargains for last years Fugio if you shop around. Ribble offer road friendly tyres with their 650B wheels on the CGR, so even if you go for the Vitus you can switch tyres to suit the season.
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

Having a Spitfire which is the same frame as the Tempest basically I can whole heartitly recommend it. In terms of VFM all the PX bikes beat the CRC one.

Gearing may be a little gappy but it will be liveable. You certainly wont be able to moan about hills with a 1:1 ratio on the big cog.
    Wheels you could save up an get a second narrower 27.5 set for dedicated road duties, being disc they are quick to swap a set of wheels anyway.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Know what you mean about the threads - I don't know if its intentional but it does seem that some posters take delight in a killing or derailing a thread early on seems if you can get past about 3 posts you're in the clear.

Don't know an awful lot about the bike in question - my only thoughts are where is the money going as I understand the Apex is quite low end.

I have been looking at more budget gravel bikes - and this seems like a good deal - though not as versatile as the one in you post - still you would have £1k left in the bank....

https://road.cc/content/review/251556-merlin-malt-g
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    Forgive me but I haven't read all your posts on this forum so I would like to know if this your first bike? If so, I wouldn't buy that bike even if your financial health has improved, why is that you scream? Because about 78% of all people that buy exercise equipment, including bikes, stop doing whatever the thing was they bought the stuff to do in about 3 to 6 months then you end up with expensive garage art. So if this is your first bicycle and first time at some sort of sport hobby and being religious about it, then I would stick to around a $400 bike, if after two years you're riding religiously then award yourself with a better bike, and two years would allow you to save a bit more money and get something you'll never want to replace anytime soon.
  • Nice bike, Apex is descent, I know the old stuff weighed similar to Ultegra with a 105 price.
    Ive used hydrailic 1 X Apex and it works great.

As for the tyres, a little more rolling resistance, nowhere near as aero as a road tyre but certainly not slow.
    I had a Cannondale Slate for a while, similar spec to this with similar tyres and it capable on and off road, felt like I was about 5% (roughly) slower than on a normal road bike.

As was shaown above there's a fair bit of competition in this area now. You are looking at a bike there that can do it all, on and off road.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Bongofish wrote:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-substance-crx-adventure-road-bike-apex-2019/rp-prod172940

Any thoughts?

My main question would be can anyone tell me anymore about the tyres. Will they still actually be any good in the road being that wide?

Would like to use it. As a proper summer adventure bike fields and tracks and back into roads and then as a full blown winter road bike.

Seriously, you are questioning the tyres when selecting a bike costing £1800?

Buy the bike and if the tyres aren't that great replace them.
  • Bongofish wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

I'm honestly so confused. All I did was ask a question the the bikes buying advice section about a bike I may purchase. I honestly don't get what I'm doing so wrong and feel like I'm getting bullied....

awwwwwwww bless. Youre not being bullied, youre just not being believed