recommend tyres for 'town' riding

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
My 'town' bike is in need of new tyres and I'm not sure what to get.

I don't need crazy good performance but I occasionally use it for a 10 mile commute and its 5 miles into town so something that rolls quite well would be good. Puncture protection is a consideration, doesn't need to be bulletproof but it would be nice if they could shrug of some town debris.

Also, I don't have much money at the moment so cheaper is always good.

Anything ideas?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    what clearance does your town bike have...?
  • What size tyre are you looking for?

Planet X sell a load of different tyres at cheap and cheerful prices such as these Sport Contacts from £5 a pop:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCONSCII ... wired-tyre
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I have a On-One Pompino which I think has pretty big clearance, was thinking around the 28-32c sort of size, but need to double check the mudguard clearance.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have found Continental GP 4 Season to be a very good all round compromise. There are much cheaper tyres around and ones with better puncture protection but I've settled on these for my commuter.

Peter
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I have Vittoria Randonneur on my Pompino and very happy with them for short rides on roads and hard pack paths and general cruising around town. Usually pretty cheap from Planet X.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Randonneurs are a good cheap option. I have used them for years on my tourer in 28mm size and have never had a puncture with them over thousands of miles of laden camping tours in Europe. The main disadvantage is they are very stiff which makes them hard to get on and off.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    LifeLine Prime Armour (from Wiggle) - basically Gatorskins, but cheaper and less sketchy in the wet. I've been commuting on them for over two years (roughly 2500 miles) with no punctures, despite the glass-strewn cycle lanes I go through. They have a few slices where glass has gone through the rubber, but hasn't made it through the kevlar breaker. They're not even close to squaring off, either.