Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I've had numerous punctures with these Hutchinson's, more so than I did last winter running GP4Ks with latex tubes.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but they're not for me. Have tried all different pressures as well as different sealants.

Admittedly I didn't try Stans Race in these, but one shouldn't have to with road tyres.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    One shouldn't with road tyres anyway you cant inject it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    Why can't you inject the Stan's Race sealant Malcolm? Too thick? I've just got some and was planning to inject it through the valve with the core removed this evening!
  • cycleclinic
    It will clog the injector or the valve when forced through as narrow opening. The the hose pops off and sealant goes everywhere. If you try it in the kitchen your partner will no doubt throw you and your kit out in the the garden then lock the door. It can be just about drained through under gravity but that does not worked in a seated tyre. I have tried and gave up. I never sold it because i know what would happen.

I bought that race sealant and tried injecting it.....
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    It does pass through a value core, but due to its makeup, it isn't easy with the fibreglass type materials.

I would only use it by removing the bead of the tyre, and that's why it isn't ideal for road usage.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I've been using 30mm Mavic Elite Allroad tyres that came with my Mavic wheels on the Borg45 wheels Malcolm made for me throughout winter until on the last day of Festive500 picked up a sizeable puncture right in the middle of the tyre. The sealant did half a job and stopped the tyre going completely flat but as soon as I put any pressure in the tyre and added weight then the hole would give way. I attempted to repair it using a big worm when I got home but I wasn't convinced the worm and sealant would do their job whilst out on the bike so I've decided to replace the tyre with a Specialized Roubaix Pro which seem a bargain at £27.

Upto that point I had been reasonably impressed with the Mavic tyres although the wear rate when used on tarmac was high.
  • PaulMon wrote:

Upto that point I had been reasonably impressed with the Mavic tyres although the wear rate when used on tarmac was VERY high.

FTFY
    left the forum March 2023
  • paulmon
    The Spesh Roubaix Pro was a dream to get on and inflated. Not only did it go on the rim with little fuss but when I inflated it with the blast pump it pinged into place reassuringly and has sat there all day with 80psi in it. This is by far the best tyre I have put on the Borg rims. I have had 4 other tyres on there and all 4 presented their own little problems, either impossible to inflate and seal or requiring sealant to seal around the bead. I just hope the tyre is as impressive on the road as it was to fit. I'll put some sealant in tonight and report back.
  • I have had exactly the same issues as ryan w with Hutchinson performance tyres. The front has been fine for over 1000 miles but the first rear lasted 3 rides before a 6mm split on the top of the tread and wouldn’t seal and the second tyre for a 4 mm split which wouldn’t seal after only 2 rides ( I managed to achovie this one successfully ) but no longer trust these tyres. Got a reasonable deal on GP 5000 Tl but this has been an expensive switch over and I’m not convinced it is worth it ove tubes.
  • Back from ride today, front tyre deflating and oozing sealant about 40 psi. Pin hole size puncture and no chance of getting a worm in despite some persistence, probably pushed in whatever caused the hole. Re-inflated tyre and now sealed.

Dafuq
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    If your using the GI plug kit I'm not surprised you found insertion difficult. At least it's fixed now.

Also try adding fresh sealant, that sometimes works.
  • Back from ride today, front tyre deflating and oozing sealant about 40 psi. Pin hole size puncture and no chance of getting a worm in despite some persistence, probably pushed in whatever caused the hole. Re-inflated tyre and now sealed.

Dafuq

Sometimes the offending flint will remain embedded in the tyre and it stops the sealant coming out and doing its job but it still allows a bit of air to get past and so the pressure drops. Usually seals if you pick out the flint and let the sealant spurt out at the bottom.
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    Back from ride today, front tyre deflating and oozing sealant about 40 psi. Pin hole size puncture and no chance of getting a worm in despite some persistence, probably pushed in whatever caused the hole. Re-inflated tyre and now sealed.

Dafuq

What tyre/sealant combo was that? I still swear by IRC tyres/Effetto Mariposa sealant. Bombproof through winter so far.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • Arsey wrote:
    Back from ride today, front tyre deflating and oozing sealant about 40 psi. Pin hole size puncture and no chance of getting a worm in despite some persistence, probably pushed in whatever caused the hole. Re-inflated tyre and now sealed.

Dafuq

What tyre/sealant combo was that? I still swear by IRC tyres/Effetto Mariposa sealant. Bombproof through winter so far.

Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex, Maxxis Padrone
  • If your using the GI plug kit I'm not surprised you found insertion difficult. At least it's fixed now.

Also try adding fresh sealant, that sometimes works.

Fully deflated tyre, butchered it to get a plug in. Gave up and pumped back up and it sealed itself.

Like magic.
  • cycleclinic
    always with tubeless use a plug at the roadside if you need to but at home try the free stuff first.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • always with tubeless use a plug at the roadside if you need to but at home try the free stuff first.

A dollop of superglue would have probably done it
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    rieko wrote:
    Just purchased a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11-storm. Reviews seem to rate them highly, so I'll see how they compare to my stock Giant Gavia's which after 5000 miles have finally given upon me.

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.
  • Really basic question this but what does sealant look like when it's filled a hole?

After a post ride bike clean I check the tyres to hook out any bits of flint and glass that are embedded to stop the punctures that haven't happened yet. I've only had tubeless for a month or so and when checking I spotted hard bit in cuts in the tyres and was going to hook out the bits but wonder if they're actually congealed sealant. They're brown and slightly shiny so not unlike a bit of gravel but don't come out easily and I don't want to try too hard in case it's all normal. I used Mavic sealant if that makes any difference.
  • arsey
    zefs wrote:
    rieko wrote:

It's a racing tire that cuts easily, should be used in good conditions/roads in my opinion.

Agreed, you'll be buying new tyres in about 1000km.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Arsey wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    rieko wrote:

Mine lasted 3000 and I had swapped front/back I think but I am riding on good conditions only and get 1-2 punctures per year.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    Arsey wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    rieko wrote:

Marvelous :lol:
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Looking for a 30mm tyre that sizes up to, but not over 30mm. My G-One Speeds were OK in this respect, but after they wore out I fitted the WTB Exposure in 30mm, fine to start with but the size increased to 32mm after a couple of weeks and I lost my admittedly tight tyre clearance. These are to be fitted to a rim with 20mm internal width.
    I found good prices on the Mavic Yksion Elite Allroad 30mm, any ideas on these?
  • paulmon
    tincaman wrote:
    Looking for a 30mm tyre that sizes up to, but not over 30mm. My G-One Speeds were OK in this respect, but after they wore out I fitted the WTB Exposure in 30mm, fine to start with but the size increased to 32mm after a couple of weeks and I lost my admittedly tight tyre clearance. These are to be fitted to a rim with 20mm internal width.
    I found good prices on the Mavic Yksion Elite Allroad 30mm, any ideas on these?
    PaulMon wrote:
    I've been using 30mm Mavic Elite Allroad tyres that came with my Mavic wheels on the Borg45 wheels Malcolm made for me throughout winter until on the last day of Festive500 picked up a sizeable puncture right in the middle of the tyre. The sealant did half a job and stopped the tyre going completely flat but as soon as I put any pressure in the tyre and added weight then the hole would give way. I attempted to repair it using a big worm when I got home but I wasn't convinced the worm and sealant would do their job whilst out on the bike so I've decided to replace the tyre with a Specialized Roubaix Pro which seem a bargain at £27.

Upto that point I had been reasonably impressed with the Mavic tyres although the wear rate when used on tarmac was high.

Have a look a Maxxis Padrone 28mm they are more like 29/30 so could be just what you are looking for. I have them on my summer bike.
  • Really basic question this but what does sealant look like when it's filled a hole?

After a post ride bike clean I check the tyres to hook out any bits of flint and glass that are embedded to stop the punctures that haven't happened yet. I've only had tubeless for a month or so and when checking I spotted hard bit in cuts in the tyres and was going to hook out the bits but wonder if they're actually congealed sealant. They're brown and slightly shiny so not unlike a bit of gravel but don't come out easily and I don't want to try too hard in case it's all normal. I used Mavic sealant if that makes any difference.

Usually sealed from the inside so you just either see a brownish lump or remnants of a hole
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    So far I've been very happy with the Pirelli Cinturato. The 26mm comes up at 28mm so a 28mm might be 30mm. I can't say it's perceptibly slower then the Hutchinson F5 All-Season 11storm it replaced but it's definitely more puncture resistant.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Pirell ... -Tyre/J0ZE

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Can people please share any feedback they have on the Panaracer Gravelking in 35mm or 38mm. I'm looking for a slick tyre for with a real world width of at least 35mm for road use. I weight 75kg and the rims have a 19mm internal width.
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    I've been waiting for the slick gravelkings in 35mm (available from importer, but not at any shops yet, as far as i can tell). Sigma Sports say they can order them in, but will cost £39.99 vs £28 for all the other sizes which they already stock which seems punitive.
  • arsey
    Found this this morning in my tyre. Good feeling when you know you've avoided a puncture :D

IMG-20190313-075438.jpg
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc