My brand new 2010!!! S-Works Enduro . What's it worth?

northernnick
northernnick Posts: 11
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi there.
I have a 2010 Specialized S-Works Enduro in Large. I rode it a handful of times before I moved back to the UK from France. It's literally like new!
I kept the bike thinking that I'd get back on it at some stage but my wife kept producing babies and......it hasn't happened.

Finally.....I've decided to sell it. But....I have no idea whet to ask for it.

Hers's the spec:-
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/specializ ... arbon-2010

The bike was vandalised, only the frame and levers were damaged. The frame was replaced with the same Fact-10 carbon frame in black, but without the S-Works decals. The brakes were replaced with Hope V4 brakes.

Any ideas? Any thoughts much appreciated.
Cheers.

Comments

• Difficult to put a value on it - it’s 9 years old / 26” wheels / isn’t 1x / I’d imagine it’s not a great peddling bike. I think you might get more money for it if you split the parts and sell them separately.
  • Thanks Joe.
    You’re probably right. I just want rid though to be honest.
    It’s a surprisingly good peddler, especially with the shortened fork in climb mode. It was my second Enduro, perfect for the Alps where I lived.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick it on Ebay at 99p reserve. It will sell for what someone is willing to pay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi there.
    I have a 2010 Specialized S-Works Enduro in Large. I rode it a handful of times before I moved back to the UK from France. It's literally like new!
    I kept the bike thinking that I'd get back on it at some stage but my wife kept producing babies and......it hasn't happened.

Finally.....I've decided to sell it. But....I have no idea whet to ask for it.

Hers's the spec:-
    https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/specializ ... arbon-2010

The bike was vandalised, only the frame and levers were damaged. The frame was replaced with the same Fact-10 carbon frame in black, but without the S-Works decals. The brakes were replaced with Hope V4 brakes.

Any ideas? Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Cheers.

I would hope you were involved in the process of producing those babies, normally it's a 2 person process.

Looking at that bikelist site they are saying £2,100 for a bike originally £5,000. I would take the approach of doing a really good advert and trying for something like £2,500 but have some expectation that it may struggle to sell for that and you could end up at £1200 or something but its always worth trying high first because you never know who is out there and what they are prepared to pay, sometimes there is more interest than you realise and sometimes much less. My advice is basically don't start at the lowest price you will accept but start high and gradually move down in price and allow sometime for it to sell to give some chance of getting the maximum price.
  • Thanks Bonzo. Seem to remember being involved in the baby process - all a little hazy now.
    Any recommendations where to advertise? I guess eBay would take a big lump.
  • Looking at that bikelist site they are saying £2,100 for a bike originally £5,000. I would take the approach of doing a really good advert and trying for something like £2,500

Not a hope in hell that will go go for £2,100. I sold a 4 year old Nomad3 last year, carbon frame, enve rims, XTR, XX1, reverb etc, cost over £8k, for £2400, after 3 months of listing it higher.

my standard measure is 50% off after the first year, then 10% off for every year after that. that would get you to £950, but then factor in that most of the standards aren't current which will kick it further, the saving grace is its in good nick

As much as it will hurt OP, i reckon youll be lucky to get more than about £800 as a full bike and im not sure you'd do any better splitting it. Unless you have a pressing need for it to go, id keep it for the few times youll ride it, its not a bad bike, its just been superseded serveral times by various updates.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Ouch, that does hurt!
    Better £800 in my pocket though than sat in the shed I guess. Hoping to get a bit more though due to its lack of use.
  • Yeah, there is no money in 2nd hand bikes... try the various classifieds sections of websites (pinkbike, here, singletrackworld) but the problem with those is that they're all enthusiast sites, so know that 26" isnt current, what else is available etc. ebay might well take a cut, but they have a bigger market place of less knowledgeable people, so you might get a hook there.

80% of something is better than 100% of nothing...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Stick it on Ebay at 99p reserve. It will sell for what someone is willing to pay.
    Or more correctly 1 bid higher than the second highest bidder was prepared to pay......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    OK, its no longer got cutting edge geometry, but it was an extremely good bike only a few years ago. Why let it go for a pittance? If you don't need the money or the space, why not keep it! You will ride it from time to time and it won't be that long before one of your kids will want to ride it. :lol:
  • Fair point Steve. I have two girls, they'll never be tall enough to ride it. It won't get ridden so might as well get something for it. Would be great for a young lad starting out I guess.
  • The sad reality with 2nd hand bikes is that they just aren't worth as much to anyone else as they are to you. What you paid for it rarely enters the equation.

I have a nice 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper HT. I've replaced/upgraded most parts except for frame and forks. It's a great bike for winter hacking and doing the more local tarmac/farm tracks. It's 3x9 and has 26" wheels. The geometry is quite upright and ideally I'd like a slacker HT for chucking down hills etc. Despite the fact that I've `spent` about £2500 on it - in reality it's worth about £300. I would get more if I split it.

I could buy another frame and move as much stuff over as I can, but I might then have to go to 27.5" wheels if I can't get a frame for 26".

The bottom line with your bike is that it's older geometry and has 26" wheels. I don't mind 26" wheels but a lot of buyers now see them as old technology.

As others have said, if it's that unused, sell bits off separately or keep it. It's worth more to you than anyone else. If you keep it long enough, it will become `retro` and will be worth £millions!

If you want what you can get for it, then sell it and accept you might get £500. It's a lovely bike but sadly the market is less generous.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Thanks Bonzo. Seem to remember being involved in the baby process - all a little hazy now.
    Any recommendations where to advertise? I guess eBay would take a big lump.

They do often have £1 weekends and you can list it with for 30 days buy it now price that accepts offers so you get a whole month of advertising for £1 and if you accept a lower offer it is still £1. Don't auction it as vultures like me using sniping sites try for bikes at much below market value. I would typically place the first 99p bid to ensure the auction lasts until the end and then come in at the last seconds with my paltry bid, most of the time others bid higher but occasionally I get a bike for stupidly low money. If your bike isn't fashionable then you may get very low money but next week someone else may have been prepared to pay twice as much. Whatever you do only accept cash on collection. So many scammers on ebay who will try to get payments reversed and paypal always sides with the buyer pretty much even if you can prove the buyer is completely dishonest. It's too high risk to accept paypal as a payment for such a high value item in my opinion. Besides paypal take 3-4% which on £1500 is £40-60. If you list when the £1 offer is on and accept cash on collection only you will only pay £1 in fees.

Looking at the completed auctions etc for that model.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 5573.m1684

You can see the general range of prices they are going for. Maybe £1,800 would be a realistic first attempt at buy it now with a make offer option. Looks like if you can clear a third of its original value you have done well. Personally I'd rather play the waiting game and get a high price even if it took 2 months to sell than sell it low within a week.

Best of luck with your sale.
  • Maybe £1,800 would be a realistic first attempt at buy it now

Are you on crack? a 2008 model sold (your link was completed listings, not SOLD) for £450... you'd pay £1800 for a nine year old bike? Here is what £1800 buys you.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2507496/ 2015 carbon bronson, decent spec
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2488652/ 2016 pivot mach 6 carbon, high spec
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2494696/ another high spec 2016 bronson
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • Thanks again Bonzo, top tips.
    Tom, it is almost unused remember. I'll be happy enough with a grand.
  • Here is what a grand buys you

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2518537/ 2 year old Whyte T130 SX. Ridden twice. All current standards, 11 speed kit, dropper post etc. I know its not XTR/XX kit, but the rate of development of bike kit is so rapid now, means that mid range kit is just as good as older, higher range kit

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade but if you want to get it sold, and not go through the agony of having to keep reducing the price (I originally listed the above Nomad at 3.5k) you need to pitch it properly, by all means don't cut your legs off from the start, but if you price it so high, no one will bother making an offer.

Absolutely the worst bit about cycling is selling bikes
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • Tom Howard wrote:
    Maybe £1,800 would be a realistic first attempt at buy it now

Are you on crack? a 2008 model sold (your link was completed listings, not SOLD) for £450... you'd pay £1800 for a nine year old bike? Here is what £1800 buys you.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2507496/ 2015 carbon bronson, decent spec
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2488652/ 2016 pivot mach 6 carbon, high spec
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2494696/ another high spec 2016 bronson

Do you have to act in such a childish manner are you 11 years old or something. I'm suggesting he starts high in case he can get a sale at that price. The completed listings are in green where a sale has been achieved. I've put stuff on ebay at a higher than market value price and achieved that on occasion and sometimes the very same item I got cheap because someone sold it on auction and didn't achieve normal market value. Sometimes the item I bought was dirty with poor photography and sometimes just by taking the time to clean the item do decent images and ensure the copy you write is decent can achieve a high price point.

Pinkbike surely is a site where potential buyers will have a much better understanding of bikes that could drive prices down or be set more realistically. This thread is about trying to maximise the seller's price not lower it and ebay would have a wider range of potential buyers. I've picked up a bike for 99p via ebay with a decent quality altus drivetrain and many decent features and while looking at completed sales at the time for the same bike cleaned up, well presented and decent copy go somewhere close to £80-100 (only stated best offer accepted at £100). Other completed sales were in the £50-60 range. Just making the point there is no static price point for the same item.
  • A 2010 Carbon Stumpy I was watching recently fetched £880 and described as being in VGC

Specialized bikes do seem to have some sort of brand loyalty, and many fetch decent prices either on eBay or private classifieds such as Gumtree, Shpock and FB Marketplace.

Plus, 'Enduro' is still a bit of a buzzword in MTBing
  • This thread is about trying to maximise the seller's price not lower it and ebay would have a wider range of potential buyers. I've picked up a bike for 99p via ebay with a decent quality altus drivetrain and many decent features and while looking at completed sales at the time for the same bike cleaned up, well presented and decent copy go somewhere close to £80-100 (only stated best offer accepted at £100). Other completed sales were in the £50-60 range. Just making the point there is no static price point for the same item.

There's a big difference in the buyers in the £0-£100 market than the £6-700+ market, even on eBay. At that price most people will do their research/want a specific thing and know what its worth. But you might get lucky with someone who hasn't a clue what they are looking for, with money burning a hole in their pocket.

Best of luck OP, let us know what it sells for.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • Thanks for all your input guys.
  • I think Tom is being way more realistic on price for a bike of that age with no modern standards (wheel size / boost / has it got a tapered steerer on the fork etc?).

To maximise the value I’d advertise it without listing the year of the bike and don’t mention the wheelsize. Labour the point about the lack of use it’s had / carbon frame / brand value / quality of kit hanging off it.

Hope that someone coming back to mtb after years off and out of touch with things sees it and thinks Whyte getting a bargain. I’d probably be trying it at a buy it now of around £800 but allowing best offers and see if you get any interest.