cycling and wild camping

compostcorner
compostcorner Posts: 8
edited March 2019 in Tour & expedition
i"m looking to do a tour of the highlands of scotland, and hopefully taking in a lot of mountain passes that are well away from the main roads, i will be taking my tent and just pitching up whenever i"ve had enough for the day or find a spot with a spectacular view, but i am a bit wary about leaving my bike out in the open unlocked during the night times, even though it wouldnt be visible from any road. has anybody any experience of doing this kind of thing, or is it just a foolhardy thing to do in the first place, in my head it seems so idyllic but i guess the real worlds not like that.

Comments

• The midges will kill you AND steal your bike.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    No one's going to steal your bike. You'll probably have a lock with you anyway, lock it to the nearest sheep and be done with it.
  • Check out the scenic bike pics thread. Someone went bike packing in the snow somewhere in the UK earlier this year.

Lock your bike to your ear piercing.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

Lock your bike to your ear piercing.

A D-lock through the Prince Albert is far more secure.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Take a lightweight cable lock and maybe thread it through a guy rope or tree/fence next to tent. If you are wild camping in the middle of nowhere it’s highly unlikely anyone will try to steal your bike. If they do, the noise will wake you up. I’ve camped and wild camped with my bike for nearly 30 years in UK, France and Spain. Never had a hint of any issues.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Get an extra-large sleeping bag
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Take a decent lock - even if it's unlikely someone is going to sneak up on you at night on some hillside chances are you'll want to visit a pub/shop or look round some sights on foot at some point.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • towser44
    towser44 Posts: 21
    Whip the front wheel off and put it in the tent? Reduces the risk of someone nicking it if they can't ride away.