Lagerfeld (and others)

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
Should we hold them in high esteem for their creativity and 'innovation' or should we condemn them for promoting images of unnaturally thin, anorexic women?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Pinno wrote:
    Should we hold them in high esteem for their creativity and 'innovation' or should we condemn them for promoting images of unnaturally thin, anorexic women?

Can I pick A & B? Being a great artist doesn't make you a good person.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    edited February 2019
    Never mind all that.

What am I going to wear!?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pinno wrote:
    It is possible to do both...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Wasn't it Kate Moss who said "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"?

I like my food and a pint, but I must say being a lean race weight feels better than chips taste.

Don't put all the blame on the designers.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ben6899 wrote:

I like my food and a pint, but I must say being a lean race weight feels better than chips taste.

agree with lean being good but when i was racing proper i was 68kg. i'm 6'2. it ain't a good look.

currently at around 80kg with no blubber (lots of gym work) - ok, not as fast on the bike but my clothes fit me and i can carry my work stuff around with no problems. the ladies also like it more.

75kg, or one Nick rucksack, is probably optimum amateur race/looking good weight at 6'2 tbh.

proper race weight is just unhealthy if you also have a normal life.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

agree with lean being good but when i was racing proper i was 68kg. i'm 6'2. it ain't a good look.

currently at around 80kg with no blubber (lots of gym work) - ok, not as fast on the bike but my clothes fit me and i can carry my work stuff around with no problems. the ladies also like it more.

75kg, or one Nick rucksack, is probably optimum amateur race/looking good weight at 6'2 tbh.

proper race weight is just unhealthy if you also have a normal life.

:lol:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pinno
    I was actually more concerned with the image of what a woman should apparently look like to young women, not males aspiring to be Esteban Chavez's. :roll:
  • Ben6899
    Pinno wrote:
    I was actually more concerned with the image of what a woman should apparently look like to young women, not males aspiring to be Esteban Chavez's. :roll:

Yes, I know. And I'm saying it's nice to be lean. I even quoted a former supermodel, to stay on topic.

In addition to all of this, you might want to look at Lagerfeld's campaigns to see what kind of models he used...
    Ben

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    He's left a 'substantial' part of his estate to his cat who apparently has its own maid and bodyguard. I've got nothing against anyone making as much money as they can providing it is done legally and without exploitation and feel that people have the right to choose how they then spend that money but leaving tens of millions to one cat is obscene. Hopefully there is a clause that once the cat dies the remainder goes to something more useful such as an animal charity if that's where his affiliations were.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross wrote:
    He's left a 'substantial' part of his estate to his cat who apparently has its own maid and bodyguard. I've got nothing against anyone making as much money as they can providing it is done legally and without exploitation and feel that people have the right to choose how they then spend that money but leaving tens of millions to one cat is obscene. Hopefully there is a clause that once the cat dies the remainder goes to something more useful such as an animal charity if that's where his affiliations were.

No, the kittens will inherit. If there are no kittens, there will be all sorts of waif's and strays making a claim against the estate.

Who is really driving the skinny thing? Is it the designers themselves or the hands on organisers of fashion shows / photo shoots who really do the hands on day-to-day stuff around deployment and model selection.

As a male, I'm not all sure it's all male driven. I think the skinny model industry is self fulfilling. It's run by skinny women for skinny women at least as much (more I'd say) than men saying you must look like this.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    morstar wrote:
    Pross wrote:

No, the kittens will inherit. If there are no kittens, there will be all sorts of waif's and strays making a claim against the estate.
    I'm sure there will quite a large number of pussies who will make claims...
  • pinno
    morstar wrote:

:P
    morstar wrote:
    As a male, I'm not all sure it's all male driven. I think the skinny model industry is self fulfilling. It's run by skinny women for skinny women at least as much (more I'd say) than men saying you must look like this.

Well, this will be controversial. My ex who was Swedish suggested that the fashion business is run by a lot of gay men (and women) who aren't looking for feminist symbols. Rather, the post pubescent boy look!
  • Pinno wrote:
    morstar wrote:

:P
    morstar wrote:

Well, this will be controversial. My ex who was Swedish suggested that the fashion business is run by a lot of gay men (and women) who aren't looking for feminist symbols. Rather, the post pubescent boy look!
    Nah, the principal reason the fashion industry uses such skinny models for the haute couture parades is that they want the entire focus to be on the "clothes" (loose term in many cases lately), and not whether they fit the model properly.

The models are simply walking coat hangers. If they were gorgeously attractive "real" people, the audience would be looking at them rather than just the designer's work. It's also why the hair and makeup is so extremely over-done, and the models maintain such a deadpan expressionless face image on the catwalk; it removes as much as possible the sense that you are watching and interacting with an actual person. No distractions looking at big jiggly bits, or whatever.

With very few exceptions (Naomi Campbell for example) the models are there to showcase the clothes, not themselves.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has ever done a parade with marionettes on a conveyor track out around the catwalk, with motors to shake them about a bit and simulate walking movement. Just hang the clothes on those.

Bit like a Sushi train concept. Cheaper than paying supermodels in the long run. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    Interesting point WS and plausible.
    The 50's saw quite flattering outfits and that has evolved (devolved) into this gaunt, look.

Though, going back to my point - there's no denying that the catwalk image is not a healthy one or one that is good for young women (and indeed men).