Trek emonda sl6 pro

georgedach
georgedach Posts: 5
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I’m new to this forum, I’m just looking for some feedback on the above bike if anybody fancies giving their opinion on it.
I’m currently riding a tarmac expert but have come across the emonda sl6 pro and to me it looks like like a decent deal for the price £2900.
Carbon wheels, Ultegra and full carbon frame.
I’ve never rode a trek before and I’m slightly apprehensive about the whole buying new bike thing.
I’m reading good reviews on the bike so surely that must be a good thing??

Thanks in advance to anybody that bothers to reply.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I rented one in Mallorca last year - an excellent bike. Very light and comfortable and I throughly enjoyed using it for the week. I have Ultegra on one of my own bikes and it is fantastic, all the performance most cyclists are ever likely to need - very smooth. I would imagine the Emonda is pitched at the same level as your Tarmac but not sure how your specs compare. If you are not convinced about buying a new bike, maybe upgrade your Tarmac? I'm sure Specialized and Trek are very similar in many respects so buying one or the other is unlikely to require a large leap of faith as may be the case with a lesser known brand.
    Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • That’s great, thanks.
    All reviews have been fantastic to be honest, I’ve thought about upgrades to thectarmac which I do love and don’t really want to let go but once you start soending money on day new wheels, gearing etc I’m thinking I may as well take the plunge got a new bike. My LBS are offering part ex too so that helps with the fact no deposit is needed!! I’d looked on Evans cycles and they offer the trade an old bike in for 2-3 hundred quid but they’ve stoped doing finance since Mr Ashley has took over (not his biggest fan either)
    I was in Mallorca last year and hired a bmc teammachine slr02 one, that was some bike!! What an amazing place to cycle!!
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!!
  • crescent
    In a bizarre twist of fate, I have just purchased a BMC Teammachine SLR 02 One from Evans using their trade-in deal - small world :-) . I only bought it last winter and it has done less than 50 miles outside - first impressions are great though - can't wait to get it out in the decent weather, good to hear you were impressed with it. It's always an option to keep your Tarmac as a winter/poor weather bike. I would suspect that it is worth more than Evans would have offered for it (I think it is about £300 for the Trek you are looking at, you could probably get more than that elsewhere). I traded in a 10 year old Allez for £200 so it owed me very little and I was happy with the deal. Enjoy whatever you choose.
    BTW - I think Evans still have the SLR2 One on sale for just a shade over £2000 - another option maybe unless you have your heart set on the Trek.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Strange twist of fate!!
    I was well really impressed the bmc, I was thinking about keeping the tarmac andprobaly will.my bike shop have offered me 500 for part ex, I can do the 10% deposits on the finance there I suppose or wait till Evans put the finance back on and trade in the old wreck out the shed.
    I’ve still been looking at the bmc’s Only yesterday!! This buying a new bike business is horrible!!
    Nice speaking to anyway, enjoy the slr02!!
  • Rode the Trek on a recent cycle trip to Southern Spain, same frame ultegra groupset acnt remember wheelset sorry. We did lots of climbing miles, absolutely stunning bike - light, fast, and nimble, found it to be better up the hills than my supersix evo Di2. Highly recommend.

So much so, my OH who rides a Liv, rode the same bike and has bought one from the rental company for delivery at the end of the season in May £1000 bargain!!
  • crescent
    That was my lasting impression of the Emonda in Mallorca, it was amazing going up hills and, generally speaking, I am not. I didn't count but I assumed at first it was a 32 on the cassette only to find when I returned it that it was a 28 - felt surprisingly 'easy'. I was staying in Port Soller as well so you have to climb a hill to go anywhere.
    Deliberating over a bike purchase is part of the fun 8)
  • Now you’ve got me back on the bmc’s after this discussion!! I’m torn here!!
    I never stayed that side on the island, I was in Alcudia, so I got cap de formentor in early one morning. I’m hoping to get back there again this summer and get sa calobra in. I’d gladly move out that way, most of the roads I come across where pretty much perfect!!