Which rack and guards

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all.
Hopefully I should be taking delivery of a Mason Bokeh 52cm frame, ultegra disc, with both 700cx35mm & 650Bx47mm wheels/tyres.
I'm looking for a rear rack that'll fit - want minimalist looks mainly to carry just one pannier bag for daily commute so just lunch and clothes and maybe occasional bit of shopping, I would like to do a bit touring but as young family realistically not going have opportunity.
I'm looking at the Tunis cargo but think need the logo? Anyone know if either would fit? Any others that I need to look at?

For the guards, I want metal rather than plastic so looking at the Portland Design Work beast 650bx46mm max I think - anyone know if these would fit or other best options?

Thanks Andy

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Tortec Velocity is a cheaper alternative to the Tubus.
    More problems but still living....
  • andyh01
    The velocity is what I used to have on my old road bike 700cx25mm rim brakes. IMax tyre is 28mm so not wide enough? But I like look and does up to 25kg payload.

The fly looks ok but only rated to 18kg which I'm sure be ok for the commute, whereas the cargo rated up to 40kg.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    are you seriously going to carry more than 18kg?
    my kit for a weeks skiing in the alps, inc. ski boots, helmet and all the winter kit needed for a week in the snow was only 18kg and filled a Mountain Equipment Duffle - and I really wouldn't want to carry that too far (or plonk it on a bike !) ;)

if you are thinking of carrying more than this on a bike you need to go on a series weight loss / packing diet!

my 2p... :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Have you asked Mason which racks they'd recommend for your frame / wheel / tyre combo?
  • andyh01
    moonshine wrote:
    are you seriously going to carry more than 18kg?

if you are thinking of carrying more than this on a bike you need to go on a series weight loss / packing diet!

my 2p... :)

Probably not, as I say main load is dayily commute, so jeans,shirt, jumper, underwear lunch, towel and washkit, worse case jacket and shoes, maybe laptop once in blue moon. I do have locker so can leave stuff there like shoes and jacket. I bring in towel Monday and bring home Friday, it's now a micro fiber one too. I've never weighed the load before and currently using rucksack/back bag

My view was as I have two bags able to carry max 20kg each if I ever did something like LEJOG I know I "could' carry the max 40kg. I've never done a week's cycling holiday,, we have a camper van with a young family so chances of a sustainable travel cycle tour is far off.

My last rack was rated to 25kg again I'd rather be way under the limit then on/over and have it fail mid ride. Although having looked at a few racks the weight limits seems to be due to child seat carriers, if over 26kg then it subject to additional tests to do with supporting child seat, so some racks can carry more than stated but not suited to support kids seats so they state the lower limit.

.... I'm sure 18kg be fine.... Or just in case have extra....lol I'm just not sure if either the cargo/fly would fit disc brake with both. 700c and 650b wheels
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    AndyH01 wrote:

Probably not, as I say main load is dayily commute, so jeans,shirt, jumper, underwear lunch, towel and washkit, worse case jacket and shoes, maybe laptop once in blue moon. I do have locker so can leave stuff there like shoes and jacket. I bring in towel Monday and bring home Friday, it's now a micro fiber one too. I've never weighed the load before and currently using rucksack/back bag

My view was as I have two bags able to carry max 20kg each if I ever did something like LEJOG I know I "could' carry the max 40kg. I've never done a week's cycling holiday,, we have a camper van with a young family so chances of a sustainable travel cycle tour is far off.

My last rack was rated to 25kg again I'd rather be way under the limit then on/over and have it fail mid ride. Although having looked at a few racks the weight limits seems to be due to child seat carriers, if over 26kg then it subject to additional tests to do with supporting child seat, so some racks can carry more than stated but not suited to support kids seats so they state the lower limit.

.... I'm sure 18kg be fine.... Or just in case have extra....lol I'm just not sure if either the cargo/fly would fit disc brake with both. 700c and 650b wheels
    no problem. I jut wanted to reality check the need for a big load capacity. :)
    fwiw, i have a tubus fly on my fixed commuter and it has been perfectly adequate.

i still reckon it is fine for your purposes - and if you were thinking of longer touring (and needed more load carrying capacity (i.e. >18kg, which i doubt) you could add the bike packing frame packs.

Whai i like about the Fly is the narrow form - it suit a road bike
  • keef66
    AndyH01 wrote:

Probably not, as I say main load is dayily commute, so jeans,shirt, jumper, underwear lunch........

I usually have a sandwich and some fruit... :D
  • andyh01
    I'm sure mason recommends the cargo, although when I've looked to source info suggests not suitable for disc. Likewise some suggest rated to 25kg others say 40kg.

I do prefer minimalistic look of the fly and I'm sure you're right about the weight capacity not being an issue....
    I'm not sure where the eyelets are located on the bike for the rack.
    Do you know if the fly would fit disc brake bike with both 700x35 and 650bx47mm tyres? Does it take a rear light too?
    Thanks Andy
  • keef66
    Online pics of the Fly suggest it has a rear plate with 2 holes, presumably to take a light.
  • andyh01
    Cool thanks, photos I've seen are side on so couldn't tell.
    Spoke to mason again and they confirmed any Rubus disc rack will fit... I saw the fly rated at 20kg on one site.

Also what guards? Mason sells the SKS Blummels, alloy sandwich with plastic, I used to have plans clip on ones and they were crap, all broke after a few months, tempted with either Orange Velo or PDW anyone any experience of either?
  • I have PDW guards on my Kinesis Pro6, very robust, don't rattle and easy to fit and adjust.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I wouldn’t worry too much about rack load recommendations unless you are taking the kitchen sink. I have done solo camping tours for years and my load including tent and cooking gear is 15kg split between front and rear panniers. I might add another kilo for wine and food bought daily on my travels.

Tubus are excellent racks. Recommended. As for mudguards, SKS Chromoplastics are really good. Spa Cycles have them for just £24 at the moment. In my experience they are better than SKS Bluemels as they come fitted with a (small) mudflap and rear reflector. Bluemels don’t. Chromoplastics have thicker and stiffer 3.4 mm stainless steel stays. Bluemels are 3mm. Both have a front quick release safety mounting - vital for preventing you going over the bars if you pick up a stick or something on your front tyre. Looking at pix of the Velo Orange guards, they don’t have this feature. PDW do have a safety quick release.

Fitting guards is fiddly and time consuming and you will need a hacksaw or strong cutter to get the stays the exact length. Get it just right and they will look great. I’ve just spent much of an afternoon and following morning fitting some Chromoplastics to my tourer to replace some elderly Bluemels. But I took my time and am delighted at how stiff and silent they are.