LBL 2019 +

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,551
So I've signed up to ride the full length LBL this year... Any tips or guidance other than it's a bloody long way so save yourself.

Plan on staying in Liege a couple of days after, including to watch the pros race. Anyone done any other shorter rides out of Liege? Suggestions on routes or must do climbs that we won't do on the LBL sportive?

Comments

• dish_dash wrote:
    So I've signed up to ride the full length LBL this year... Any tips or guidance other than it's a bloody long way so save yourself.

Plan on staying in Liege a couple of days after, including to watch the pros race. Anyone done any other shorter rides out of Liege? Suggestions on routes or must do climbs that we won't do on the LBL sportive?

Don't try and make it sound as if it was such an epic ride for you in uncharted territory... you'll probably go round it in 8 hours and look fresh like a rose at the finish... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Its hilly for sure. You'll have enough climbs on the day. The food stops are not much use and there norlt enough opportunities to buy extra when I needed it. Youll need extra food. I did and that why I failed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    its decent. I do it every year, and as a non climber, completely unsuited to doing it quickly, there are some epic roads. the climbs are all tough- ish, but overall its a fun day. the legs take a fair hammering. sub 10 hours including food stops is pretty brisk. sub 9 is very fast.

estimate for around 4500m of climbs backloaded. the front end is easy, nice rolling roads, the back is lots of zingy nasty climbs. save the legs and steady does indeed win the day. compact chainsets are a godsend.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    its decent. I do it every year, and as a non climber, completely unsuited to doing it quickly, there are some epic roads. the climbs are all tough- ish, but overall its a fun day. the legs take a fair hammering. sub 10 hours including food stops is pretty brisk. sub 9 is very fast.

estimate for around 4500m of climbs backloaded. the front end is easy, nice rolling roads, the back is lots of zingy nasty climbs. save the legs and steady does indeed win the day. compact chainsets are a godsend.

I bet the OP will do it in 8:30 :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    philbar72 wrote:

I bet the OP will do it in 8:30 :shock:

that would be very very quick....
  • dish_dash
    Thanks All

@Ugo - 8.30 sounds ambitious but I'll take it as a target... :D
    @Phil - have you spent any time riding out of Liege pre/post LBL? Wondering if you have any recommendations for post ride loops for Sunday/Monday. And assume that best place to watch the race is to just go find a TV in Liege?
  • dish_dash
    Been meaning to post a quick update on the LBL front.

Was quite the day. Managed to get around in 10.22 (moving time of just under 10 hours). Was a tough old day with harsh weather conditions. Started off cold and damp, headwind out to Bastogne (which is a long slog), then heavy rain, some hail, and a bit of sunshine at the finish. Tried to get some groups going in the first 100km but there seemed to be a variety of views on how to run one. And was pretty much solo for the second half once the climbs really started.

Food stops were alright. A few waffles and some cheese rolls kept me going along with my own supplies. I did have to resort to a few gels once the big climbs kicked off. It's back loaded and relentless to the finish...

The Ardennes were lovely though, and Liege much better than I was anticipating. It definitely wasn't a "dump" as I've seen it described in previous LBL threads. It's clearly not as rich as Flanders but nothing as bad as around Roubaix for example. We had a couple of nice meals and were able to do a decent amount of sightseeing on Sunday (a long set of stairs up to the war memorial and a famous font in a church) before heading to the finish line to watch some pretty knackered looking riders while nursing a Jupiler. All very chill and had a good nosey around the buses/bikes.

Went for a good ride out to the three country border (Belgium/Netherlands/Germany) on the Monday and then a taster of some of the Amstel Gold climbs towards Maastricht. A nice mix of quiet roads, decent climbs, and some astonishing cycle lane infrastructure once in the Netherlands. The Cauberg was a bit underwhelming though.

Easy cycle lane along the river from Maastricht to Liege and I now slightly regret not going up the river to do the Mur de Huy. Another time...

May put Amstel Gold next on the list as I reckon you'd have a great sportive ride and then, given how much the route switches back and forth, a good chance of watching the pros from a few different spots on race day.