Skoda Karoq - Will a bike fit in the back?

Sanjay
Sanjay Posts: 108
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello,

Bit of a random one: I have a winter bike with full mudguards and I want to be able to put straight in the back of the car. Are there any Skoda Karoq owners (or anyone else with a similar sized SUV) who can verify that you can fit a bike in the back without having to take the wheels off? Thanks!

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Have you thought of taking your bike to a Skoda dealer and asking them to try it?

PP
  • We’ve got a Yeti and I need to put the back seats down, take the front wheel off and lie it down. The Yeti does have a front fork clamp you can buy that allows you to put in two bikes in an upright position, but front wheels off and back seats down. The Karoq is a similar size.

TBH I can’t get an upright bike with front wheel still on in a Volvo XC90 either without dropping the back seats and doing some jiggling.
  • Sanjay
    Thanks for the replies. I was planning on taking the bike to the local dealership to see if it fits in, but thought I'd ask on here first.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Sanjay wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I was planning on taking the bike to the local dealership to see if it fits in, but thought I'd ask on here first.

Hi sanjay,

I haven't tried fitting the bike in, but I was seriously disappointed by the size of the boot in a Karoq.
    I seen one last week and the boot is much smaller than my 2010 Octavia, so I don't think you have much chance of squeezing a full bike in there with the wheels on.
    I don't understand the point of these small SUV type wagons, which offer no more room, and in some cases less room than a normal hatchback.
    The Kodiaq would be a different ballgame in terms of space, but also a very different price bracket!

EDIT: now realise you probably mean the back of the car with the seats down.....def best bet to take a pop down to the dealer, but i'd say you would get it in there ok.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I have the Kodiaq, which is the larger version. I think it would be a squeeze to get the bike in that with the wheels on, so I doubt you will with the Karoq.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    TBH, I've no idea of the size of the Karoq but FWIW, I've got an Audi Q5 and it easily takes a bike with the rear seats folded and both wheels on.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    bsharp77 wrote:

Hi sanjay,

I haven't tried fitting the bike in, but I was seriously disappointed by the size of the boot in a Karoq.
    I seen one last week and the boot is much smaller than my 2010 Octavia, so I don't think you have much chance of squeezing a full bike in there with the wheels on.
    I don't understand the point of these small SUV type wagons, which offer no more room, and in some cases less room than a normal hatchback.
    The Kodiaq would be a different ballgame in terms of space, but also a very different price bracket!

EDIT: now realise you probably mean the back of the car with the seats down.....def best bet to take a pop down to the dealer, but i'd say you would get it in there ok.

I completely agree. These SUV's costing many 10's of thousands of pounds really have no practical use at all. Jaguar, BMW, Porsche, Volvo etc etc etc have poor load length capacity. Yes, the volume is big because they are wide but the boot is short.

I too have a Skoda Octavia. Easy to get a road bike with full mudguards in the back with the rear seats down. Also full height internal and external doors. Going to Ikea is a synch.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Honda CRV will take a bike with wheels on and rear seats folded, no problem.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've got a Seat Ateca, same as the Karoq, though I think you can move/remove the rear seat in the Karoq whereas i can only fold the seats over. Mines the 4x4 as well but didn't go for the false floor option, so as to maximise bootspace.

My road bike carrying "solution" was to temporily fix a board to the isofix point on the back of one rear seat. The board has a Saris QR mount so the front wheel comes off, the forks mount on the back seat, and the bike (with rear wheel) sits in the boot well. Think I also have to lower the seat post. Worth mentioning this is with a gravel bike with a relatively long wheel base and 40mm tyres. No pictures I'm afraid.

Have to say I really miss my SMax for effortlessly carrying 2 or even 3 bikes in comfort...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    If it’s any help, full winter bike with guards easily fits in a Ford S-Max.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Managed to fit my Tarmac in the back of a mk5 golf this evening with both wheels on!

My next car will be an Octavia estate, but to be honest if you are carrying bikes regularly, a towbar mounted carrier is so handy - I have a Thule that I got from decathlon and is one of the best bike accessories I’ve ever bought.
  • Sanjay
    Thanks for all the replies and advice folks.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    This is probably of zero use, but with the rear seats folded down in my Grand Tourneo connect, I can get 5 fully assembled bikes in upright without having to remove or lower *anything :D

*aside from the rear seats!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Luv2ride wrote:

Have to say I really miss my SMax for effortlessly carrying 2 or even 3 bikes in comfort...
    SMax owner here. The day it dies I'll just buy another (or possibly a Galaxy). Superb cars for cyclists 8)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sanjay wrote:
    Hello,

Bit of a random one: I have a winter bike with full mudguards and I want to be able to put straight in the back of the car. Are there any Skoda Karoq owners (or anyone else with a similar sized SUV) who can verify that you can fit a bike in the back without having to take the wheels off? Thanks!

I've got a Touareg. With the rear seats down, I can get a bike in with the wheels on laying it on its side. With the 3/4 rear seat up, I can still get a bike, but the front wheel needs to be removed. I fortunately have a tow bar and ball mounted 4 bike rack that takes the bikes with the wheels on.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

Hi sanjay,

I completely agree. These SUV's costing many 10's of thousands of pounds really have no practical use at all. Jaguar, BMW, Porsche, Volvo etc etc etc have poor load length capacity. Yes, the volume is big because they are wide but the boot is short.

I too have a Skoda Octavia. Easy to get a road bike with full mudguards in the back with the rear seats down. Also full height internal and external doors. Going to Ikea is a synch.

Matter of opinion. There's undoubtedly more room in an SUV than your Octavia if we're talking seats down and even with the seats up when compared to a proper size SUV. Baby SUVs granted have small boot space with the seats up. They make up for that though with ground clearance and crumple zone safety. My Touareg was rear ended about 12 months ago. My car had a hefty repair bill covered by the other driver's insurer, but was repairable with no visible signs of repair or consequential faults. The other driver's car was a write off.

When it comes to piling rubbish from the garden and building works in the boot for a tip run, I can do so in the Touareg without damaging door panels, seats etc. Wouldn't fancy my chances in a saloon or even an estate.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    SUV in style over substance shocker.

If you can operate a quick release then any car with folding seats will do. I could get a bike in a mini metro with the front wheel off.
  • StillGoing

If you can operate a quick release then any car with folding seats will do. I could get a bike in a mini metro with the front wheel off.

What a ridiculous comment. What do you know about individual users needs for their choice of vehicle? The answer is nothing. Even if a user doesn't take their SUV off road, it has far more practical uses and advantages than a saloon, hatchback or estate for those that have one. If you can get by using a mini metro, bully for you. I can't. :roll:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    philthy3 wrote:

What a ridiculous comment. What do you know about individual users needs for their choice of vehicle? The answer is nothing. Even if a user doesn't take their SUV off road, it has far more practical uses and advantages than a saloon, hatchback or estate for those that have one. If you can get by using a mini metro, bully for you. I can't. :roll:

https://youtu.be/7thvLM-PjUs
  • First.Aspect
    MrB123 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Brilliant.

A lot of SUVs are just tall salloons. Many are 2wd. If you don't take them off road, ground clearance is irrelevant. All cars have 4 wheel stop, but SUVs generally stop more slowly because they are heavier. The elevated driving position is both unecessary and disguises yourspeed. They handle much worse on the surface they are far more likely to be used on. They are less fuel efficient than the same non-monster truck version.

Other than that they are great.

I have an Evoque, because I live on an untreated road and occasionally drive it on to a beach in the west of Scotland, or to the Glenshee car park, which is the most challenging vehicular environment in the UK. I have a gran coupe, which replaced a conventional coupe, which replaced a saloon, and all had bigger boots that were otherwise far better for transporting a bike. Lower if you put them on the roof, as well.

The Metro I had as a student was a truly awful piece of engineering, but as a space utilization exercise, remarkable. If you do away with safety features, soundproofing, seat padding, padded door liners and your wheels are smaller than a wheelbarrow's, there's a lot of room left for other things.
  • I have an Evoque

That's a bird's car.
  • First.Aspect
    I have an Evoque

That's a bird's car.
    my wife has an Evoque.
  • That's better.
  • First.Aspect
    That's better.
    I know. If I wasn't married it would have been nearly as humiliating as a Audi TT, or a mini.
  • StillGoing
    MrB123 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Brilliant.

A lot of SUVs are just tall salloons. Many are 2wd. If you don't take them off road, ground clearance is irrelevant. All cars have 4 wheel stop, but SUVs generally stop more slowly because they are heavier. The elevated driving position is both unecessary and disguises yourspeed. They handle much worse on the surface they are far more likely to be used on. They are less fuel efficient than the same non-monster truck version.

Other than that they are great.

I have an Evoque, because I live on an untreated road and occasionally drive it on to a beach in the west of Scotland, or to the Glenshee car park, which is the most challenging vehicular environment in the UK. I have a gran coupe, which replaced a conventional coupe, which replaced a saloon, and all had bigger boots that were otherwise far better for transporting a bike. Lower if you put them on the roof, as well.

The Metro I had as a student was a truly awful piece of engineering, but as a space utilization exercise, remarkable. If you do away with safety features, soundproofing, seat padding, padded door liners and your wheels are smaller than a wheelbarrow's, there's a lot of room left for other things.

The Evoque is a typical Chelsea tractor along with the BMW X3/5 & Mercedes M Class. You can add the newer Maserati Levante, Jaguar F Pace, Alfa Romeo Stelvio VW Tiguan etc. Small interior and poor load carrying defeats some of the expected advantages of a SUV. The Stelvio can't even take a tow bar! But, there may be other needs for such vehicles such as users that cannot get in or out of lower seated vehicles due to injuries, or have to put disabled young children into their seats, my grandson for example who is 5.
  • I have got a Ferrari 348 an Audi Q7 and a Smart.
    The only car I cannot get a bike in is the Ferrari, do have to take both wheels off to get it in the Smart though.
    Hope that helps.
  • First.Aspect
    Oh god by dismissing SUVs for bike carriage I've inadvertently insulted whole swathes of society's most vulnerable.

Yup the Evoque is a bit frilly but I've driven an identical one up a 45 degree wet grass slope (and down) and had it at about 30 degrees sideways over a rock garden. So whilst it's not a land rover, nor is it an X5 or a stelvio. I live 350 miles north and about 250m above Chelsea and it has come in handy. Rest of the time the Chelsea tractorishness makes it jolly comfortable thanks.

It also has isofix points and you secretly want one.
  • First.Aspect
    I have got a Ferrari 348 an Audi Q7 and a Smart.
    The only car I cannot get a bike in is the Ferrari, do have to take both wheels off to get it in the Smart though.
    Hope that helps.
    is this you?
    https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... -Ff3QgugRM:
  • I have got a Ferrari 348 an Audi Q7 and a Smart.
    Hope that helps.
    is this you?
    https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... -Ff3QgugRM:

No Magnum had a 308.
    I have this:-

https://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/sports-c ... s/348-gtb/

And no moustache.
  • And no moustache.

There goes your kudos. Sucks to be you.