garmin random power down

keef66
keef66 Posts: 13,123
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Garmin Touring Plus, latest maps and firmware. Still occasionally going completely blank mid ride. When I power it back up there's plenty of battery showing, but my only option is to save the ride so far, reload the course and hope it works out I'm part way round it.

Seems to be when I'm following a longer turn-by-turn course and also recording it, so maybe it's an issue with memory?? I've now switched to recording to the SD card rather than internal memory which was mentioned by a few on the Garmin forums, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

Anything else I can try? Plan B is to stick it on Ebay and buy an Elemnt....

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    How long are the rides? I've only had this happen on a 400km audax. I think its related to the size of the file (maybe the level of detail in the route such as how many waypoints you are asking it to use to or something?).

I build routes in ridewithgps and export to my garmin as .gpx, it gives you the option to reduce to 500 waypoints before exporting which I think is recommended. However, I might be spouting nonsense.....

I use an edge 800 this way and have only had the issue on a 400km ride, probably after about 300kms. Ever since I've split routes over 250km into two small .gpx files and it's never happened again. You can still record as one ride, just need to load up the new route when you need to.
  • keef66
    Rides about 50-60 miles. Planned in RWGPS and exported. Not sure if as GPX or TCR, and no idea about the number of waypoints. Maybe that's something to look into...
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I doubt it's a file size issue for rides of that length but don't know much about that model. Hope you get it sorted one way or another!
  • Why not create your ride before you go
    Remember waypoints and towns or villages
    Along the way and just enjoy the riding? First world problems.
  • keef66
    Some of the lanes round here are like a proper maze; I've lived here 30 years but can still get lost 30 minutes from the house. I bought the Garmin so I didn't have to memorise a 4 hour ride, or stop every 3 miles to look at the map like I used to do in 1972. Most days I think I'm winning if I remember where my car keys are.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Some of the lanes round here are like a proper maze; I've lived here 30 years but can still get lost 30 minutes from the house. I bought the Garmin so I didn't have to memorise a 4 hour ride, or stop every 3 miles to look at the map like I used to do in 1972. Most days I think I'm winning if I remember where my car keys are.

LOL it's not just me that loses car keys then :)