CX tyres

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited February 2019 in Commuting chat
Am thinking if turning old station bike (2005 Sirrus) into a semi offroad thing. Want some decent cheap CX tyres, capable of handling a bit if mud but less than say 33c width so they fit! Recommendations?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• CX tyres have almost zero puncture protection... if you really want to use CX tyres, then I suggest you look at tubeless options... including ghetto conversions.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sub 33mm CX tyres are bit of rarity, i think might me one at 30mm? probably better off looking at touring type tyres, which can cope with most things within reason, and tend to be better at puncture protection than most CX tyres which being race tyres, are fairly prone.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Schwalbe CX Pro come in 30mm - not sure they are very ‘CX’-oriented as they are wired and not that light, but make for an acceptable (and cheap) gravel tyre.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • X One Bites if you can fit 33s, or maybe a pair of Panaracer Gravel King SKs.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • or maybe a pair of Panaracer Gravel King SKs.

Hate them... the Panaracer Pasela are much much better. In fact I do have a pair of the more expensive Pasela Tourguard Folding with gum walls which have done maybe 300 miles and they are in need of a new owner, as I no longer have a bike that supports 32 mm

Happy to sell them for a reasonable offer
    left the forum March 2023
  • or maybe a pair of Panaracer Gravel King SKs.

Hate them... the Panaracer Pasela are much much better. In fact I do have a pair of the more expensive Pasela Tourguard Folding with gum walls which have done maybe 300 miles and they are in need of a new owner, as I no longer have a bike that supports 32 mm

Happy to sell them for a reasonable offer

Heh! I love them, the GravelKing SK. Copes with club runs and old gravelly tracks and what not. Reasonably robust I did slash one sidewall, and a few punctures but generally not a fragile tyre, which is handy since I do tend to,use it like a MTB lite
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Thanks all

It's just a hill. Get over it.