Can't Decide - Vector 3's or Assioma's

grahamcp
grahamcp Posts: 323
I'm in the market for dual sided power pedals, looking for recent experiences/thoughts that might help my decision making...

The way I see it:-
Vector 3's - had lots of issues with battery covers last year, but these are allegedly fixed now. More widely available to the point that I could get discounts bringing the price down to the same as the Assioma's. Might "play nicely" more with a Garmin head unit (Edge 520) - maybe/maybe not. Replacement cleats appear to be straight forward / easily obtainable.

Assioma's - only available from a couple of (non-local) retailers, I wouldn't be able to get any discounts. Get great reviews, rechargeable batteries perhaps a better design. Cleat options look rather confusing - some people have had issues with Keo cleats, "Xpedo" have been mentioned but these don't seem to be readily available with the main retailers I use. Seen a few comments about them being really tight. I'd also like to be able to get cleat covers fairly easily.

Any help appreciated. I had been leaning towards the Assioma's, but confusion around the cleats has put me off slightly, especially as I can get the Vectors for about the same price. Accuracy and Features seem quite evenly matched.

God I wish I was more decisive sometimes :?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You could read this thread from a few days ago with the same question:
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13102714
  • Assuming all the issues have been sorted out, they are both exceptionally featured and accurate pedal based systems and both (in my opinion) ahead of the dated PowerTap offering. Now it basically comes down to three factors.

- Looks. Which pedal system do you like the look of the most?

- Cleats. Will you need to change to a new shoe/cleat type? Is this an issue for you?

- Battery. Internal USB rechargeable vs user replaceable. Personal preference.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Thanks, I have no idea how I missed that other thread - thought I was fairly up to date with the main forums!
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Get the Assioma's, I wouldn't even think about it.

I have used a set of Favero BePro's for 4 years daily, over 30,000 miles.

They have been superb. Never had a power drop-out or a power surge, they are totally reliable!

Rechargeable battery is great, four hour low battery warning, so you should never get caught without charge.

Don't worry about cleats, I use Look Keo's and they are totally compatible.

The Assioma's don't have the odd set-up process of the BePro's which is a nice bonus.

Even without all the Garmin Vector issues I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Favero.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    joe2008 wrote:
    Get the Assioma's, I wouldn't even think about it.

This.
  • I am overwhelmingly pleased with my Assioma Duos. I could not be happier.

Get the Assiomas!
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Been looking at both these myself and mate also added Powertap p2s into mix!?!
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Been looking at both these myself and mate also added Powertap p2s into mix!?!

Just get Assioma's, you won't regret your choice - more reliable, easier to charge and cheaper.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Still seeing reports of issues on the Vector 3's, check out the DC Rainmaker comments on the review of the Vectors or the Garmin forums. I would avoid. The Assioma's seem to be rock solid though so between the two I would go that way if you definitely want pedal based.
  • Been looking at both these myself and mate also added Powertap p2s into mix!?!

These are not even in the mix. They're more like a P1.1 rather than a P2 and they fall a fair way behind both the Garmin V3 and Assioma Duo.

I've had zero issues with my Assioma Duos.
  • I've had zero issues with my Vectors but I suspect I'd have been just as happy with the Assiomas. Vectors do look nicer though as they don't have any kind of pod sticking out.
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    There is an offer on probikekit reducing the single sided vectors to £399 (I was e-mailed code this morning) ... I am very tempted.

Whats everyones thoughts on single sided vs dual sided power meters?
  • hostman wrote:

Depends what you’re aiming/training for really.
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    hostman wrote:

To measure and make improvements to fitness on indoor training. I'll also then be able to participate in zwift / sufferfest etc.

When outside on the bike it will provide me with a better gauge of effort (based on some FTP tests), rather than just smashing around at one near to max level.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    hostman wrote:
    hostman wrote:

To measure and make improvements to fitness on indoor training. I'll also then be able to participate in zwift / sufferfest etc.

When outside on the bike it will provide me with a better gauge of effort (based on some FTP tests), rather than just smashing around at one near to max level.
    If you'll be using the same PM everywhere, and you have no reason to suspect that you have one leg massively more powerful than the other, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

Most people will have some L/R discrepancy. Very roughly speaking, my power is around 48%/52% L/R, so if I used a single sided PM which doubled my left power, it would display at about 96% of my total combined power. That's still easily close enough for most purposes.
  • bcmf
    bcmf Posts: 25
    Another one here recommending Assioma's.
    Bought mine from a lad on here.
    Easy to charge and travel mode to switch them off via the app.
    A club mate asked me to order him as set.Ordered via powermeter 24 thinking they were in stock but ended up waiting over 4 weeks as apparently favero cant keep up with orders.
    So if ordering make sure the shop has them in stock!