Any such thing as the tyres I'm wanting?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
So currently running gator skins on all my bikes. Even including my adventure bike as so far they seem bomb proof.

But my adventure bike does lack that slight bit of grip obviously. Is there any tyres out there that are fast rolling...puncture proof....and have a little bit of grip on them . Tried the schwalbe g-one all rounders and could tell a massive difference and they felt verry draggy.

Any suggestions

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I use Clement Strada USH on my Gravel bike. I’m impressed...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    You didn't specify the surfaces to be ridden on but nowadays, I don't use anything but Conti GP 4 Seasons - 25s on one bike and 28s on another. I've always found that they corner well and are very puncture resistant and really do not notice them to be any worse 'on the roll' than the GP4000s that I used up to a few years ago. Whether you will find then 'draggy' or not is up to you - no offence but I often think that such things are in the mind and that any differences in rolling resistance are more in evidence under test conditions rather than every day riding. Doubtless, somebody will be along in a minute to tell me that I'm wrong and not 'at one with my bike' or similar cobblers but it's just another opinion.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Animal72 wrote:
    I use Clement Strada USH on my Gravel bike. I’m impressed...

Clement make a great tyre.

I use LGG tubeless tubulars year round; they wear out before you get any cuts in them... and it takes a lots of miles to wear one out.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Not sure why the op finds the g one's draggy and the gator skin not. In terms of rolling resistance the gatorskin is not a good tyre.

Gator skins and GP4 seasons are not everyone's friend. I used to puncture them regularly so much do I moved onto to other tyres.

Tyre recommendations are not easy as everyone has different experiences. My reply to one point you raised illustrates this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Not sure why the op finds the g one's draggy and the gator skin not. In terms of rolling resistance the gatorskin is not a good tyre.

Gator skins and GP4 seasons are not everyone's friend. I used to puncture them regularly so much do I moved onto to other tyres.

Tyre recommendations are not easy as everyone has different experiences. My reply to one point you raised illustrates this.

The gatorskin felt so much better and lighter and honestly it was such a softer smoother ride.

I really don't know how you manage to keep puncturing gatorskins. I've done about 400 miles on them and road through glass, single-track, gravel paths...hit some big potholes and nothing.