Shaving

Pimster
Pimster Posts: 4
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
As a cyclist we have either thought about or actually shaved our legs. But would you consider shaving your arms as well?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    people with sleeve tattoos do it all the time.

why do you ask? are you thinkng of shaving yours?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I am thinking about shaving my arms as well as my legs. Was wondering if anyone else has and for what reason..
  • Matthewfalle
    people with sleeve tattoos do it all the time.

some cyclists do it.

swimmers do it all the time.

same reasons as shaving legs. no reason not to if you want to do it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Reason for shaving legs is ease of application of creams / balms etc and post ride massages so it doesn't pull hairs. The crash thing is nonsense as hairs growing through scabs is far more painful than nornal hairy scabs.

Shaving arms seems a bit random for a cyclist.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I usually shave my body whilst wearing trunks and use them as a template. That way I get perfect "hamster pants". My girlfriend loves the furry bits but my wife thinks I look ridiculous.....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Reason for shaving legs is ease of application of creams / balms etc and post ride massages so it doesn't pull hairs. The crash thing is nonsense as hairs growing through scabs is far more painful than nornal hairy scabs.

Shaving arms seems a bit random for a cyclist.

Nah, that's the side benefit for pros, but it's claimed as the "real reason" because blokes who shave don't want to admit they do it primarily because it shows off their cyclist leg muscles better.

I heard another claim that the "real reason" was to reduce dehydration impact on long rides, because one function of hair is to increase the surface area for sweat to evaporate. Shaving therefore reduced this effect.

Unless you're a pro rider doing 1500km a week training with a personal soigneur, it's all bollox. We shave because it looks good, end of...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    On a side note i have just booked a holiday with Haven and that's got me thinking about shavin.
  • According to the wind tunnel people at Specialized, shaved legs have a fairly big effect on aerodynamics. Shaved arms a small effect. Beards are negligible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I
  • Matthewfalle
    shaving sucks as its too dangerous.

the MFs use Veet - slap it on, stand there for a few minutes, shower off. sorted.

would al be perfect for the OP if he goes ahead.

as above though, no reason not to - its all the same reasons as when you do your legs.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I don't grow any hair on my legs, and so don't have to shave to achieve that look. It's never occured to me to shave my arms though to make them match. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Never considered my arms, I often wear arm warmers if I am on a time trial or a long sleeved suit. Outside this type of event I fail to see any benefit. I did shave my legs for the first time this year now the weather has warmed up enough to wear shorts. Cut my legs to ribbons. Especially on the back of my heel which bled for ages.