Ti Spitfire

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited February 2019 in Your road bikes
I wasn't going to get a new frame till end of the year but two things happened. Frame was on offer and more importantly I picked up a nice bit of damage from an ice slide around the rear brake boss.

Annoying but not the end of the world an I picked up on it quick enough still works to a fashion long as you don't want a rear brake so may be morphed into a turbo mule who knows.

Anyways

New frameset - PlanetX Spitfire and a Selcof fork. Frames a Reilly design welds are all lovely and fish scaly as they should be not ridden as yet as I found out earlier I've pinched a nerve in my back an been told no till it sorts itself out.

Kits basically lifted from the old RT80 bar the headset which is an FSA job.

Here it is sat on the summer OE Reynolds Strike 66's minus tyres and a cassette. Its currently on some cheapy mis matched shallow rims so no photos of that.

46986327032_5121b90858_h.jpg

Full 11 spd Etap and Red brakes, quarq power meter, Deda seatpost and Stem, Ritchley bars and Specialized saddle, Jagwire cables. Geo is nearly identical to the old frame bar the seat tube which is a little lower so a bit more post showing to get the correct stack.
Weight if anyone curious is 8.51Kg with the right wheels on, probably possible to loose some weight but that can come off me first. Ill do some decent photos at some point with a proper camera not a phone.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ooooh - more please. am very tempted on this.

whats the geo like? i really want a race geo ti bike - if you say its the same as a CAAD or a Bowman it would be joyous.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    Ill get some soon as I can Matt.

Geo wise its kind of between I'd say it's in between the two really, maybe a little more stretched out along the top tube which seems to be a thing with PlanetX frames. The CAAD and Bowman were on my list along with a couple of Cinelli's but this won out mainly because it looks industrial with the raw finish, and being Titanium I know it'll last.

One thing I will say is finish wise its lovely no rough edges etc but the paint appears almost to be a matt finish primer so its a furniture polish job along with the fork. Hoping to have a gentle spin at the weekend though so I should have some feed back.
  • Matthewfalle
    cheers dude!

i built up one of their other ti frames for a friend and yup - the build quality is really nice as you say.

keep us posted!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    is it a sloping top tube or is that just the piccie?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    Slight slope to it, dont know why its a gif image but gives you a better idea

spitfire_overview.gif
  • Matthewfalle
    Step83 wrote:
    Slight slope to it, dont know why its a gif image but gives you a better idea

spitfire_overview.gif

That's not actually too bad - worried it would be like one of their Pro carbon jobs.

Bit gappy in that picture, but slam it, deep rims like yours, couple of carbon cages, hmmmmmmmm: could look well pukka mint dope.

Keep us updated on yours please!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 'Tis a lovely frame. I have one but with the straight Selcof forks.

Like you I swapped over from a PX carbon frame and particularly find the rear end of the titanium a lot less harsh and lot more comfortable than the previous carbon frame.
  • Matthewfalle
    'Tis a lovely frame. I have one but with the straight Selcof forks.

Like you I swapped over from a PX carbon frame and particularly find the rear end of the titanium a lot less harsh and lot more comfortable than the previous carbon frame.

Picture please!

And how do you find the geometry? Please say really racey and sharp and not like an audax/endurance bike.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • peterdowning
    peterdowning Posts: 67
    edited February 2019
    Here's mine. Treated myself with some PPI money. Lovely.

47049019612_c1d8911cd5_o.jpg
  • Hey Matthewfalle Dude! Can you still not see the image? No problems here but will repost if necessary.
  • step83
    edited February 2019
    First proper ride out, whooshy wheels and leccy gearing, very happy racey handling without being twitchy and responds well to out the saddle efforts couldn't detect any brake rub but I only stamp out around 800w on a good day!
    Deliberately went down routes I know are a bumpy, front still felt about the same, maybe a little less harsh with the curved fork helping soak up the bumps but the rear was very well behaved and noticeably smoother.
    I'd say the only let down was me today legs just didn't get going for some reason.

46200364715_5c8d2c2304_h.jpg
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Here's mine. Treated myself with some PPI money. Lovely.

Looks a nice bike. What's the seatpost?
  • USE Duro Ti. My mother used to tell me I must have more money than sense. Not any more.....

Seat pin collar is a Ti one I found on Amazon. I also changed the headset spacers and top cap for Ti parts (from China via eBay). The stem is a Deda Zero 100 alloy in dull pewter colour so it matches. It's all very sad :-(

It came from PX with Vision Team Comp 35 wheels but I put some Shimano RS700s on.
  • Here's mine. Treated myself with some PPI money. Lovely.

Lovely machine still got it ? Is it medium ?
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    Very cool. I like the little detail that it has the D-Day stripes on the top tube.