Garmin 510 Production dates

paddy_pumpkin
paddy_pumpkin Posts: 33
edited February 2019 in Road general
I live in Spain and the battery life on my 510 is getting down to about 6 hours. So I wrote to Garmin in Spain to see if it is worth changing the battery instead of getting a new 520.

Garmin wrote back and said that they do not carry the parts. They also included a section of local consumer law that says they do need to carry parts for products that are out of production for more than 5 years. I think they are telling porkies about the dates, so I wrote back and asked when it went out of production....the reply was more than 5 years ago.

So some facts I have discovered. I bought and registered the 510 in July 2014. The 510 was released about Jan 2013 (new reviews are all in about Jan 2013). The 520 was released in July 2015 and is still available.

What we can deduce from the above is. If Garmin are not lying then the 510 went of production in less than 1 year (Jan 2013 to Jan 2014), compared to 510 which is still around after 3 years. There was no successor model for 18 months after 510 stopped production (Jan 2014 to July 2015). Is it just me or is that strange!!

Can anybody point me to any information that will unequivocally confirm the Garmin are telling porkies?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    It would probably be easier to just buy a new battery and replace it yourself. If you got Garmin to replace it you would still have to pay them as it wouldn't be a warranty claim so cut out the hassle and do it yourself.
  • Very true....but I just have a bee in my bonnet that they lied to me. If I can prove that they did lie then tbey will face consequences for breaking the law because in Spain they are legally obliged to keep spare parts for 5 years.