Di2 or disc brakes?

2

Posts

  • joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 728
    edited 13 February
    YiannisM wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

    The industry is heading to the disc brakes, some companies on their endurance line they dont even have an option for rim brakes. The practical part its just one of the factors, the business is an other. Simple a disc brake bike will hold its value better

    The only bikes that hold any value on the market are Brompton... a 3 year old Brompton can sell for up to 75% of the RRP... anything else has a pathetic resale value, unless you wait for 30 years, you keep it pristine and you hope it becomes a "classic" like a Colnago C40... chances are it won't

    Buying a bike with resale value in mind is a bit of a waste of time... that said, I've never seen figures suggesting what you say is true... if you have them, then point us in that direction.

    Its common sense man. Its pretty clear where the industry is going, in a few years the rim brake will fade away. Most of the bikes will be disc brake, so when you decide to sell it guess what. Most people will looking for disc, or a bergain rim. It will push the price even lower. The same happened with the MTB's too.

    You've missed Ugo's point, a bike should never be bought with selling it on in mind. The only thought should be about what suits you for the given situation.
    Discs will probably dominate in the next few years but there's too many users of rim brakes for them to "fade away".

    If you do want to sell something on the most important factor will be how well you looked after it.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 23,878
    YiannisM wrote:

    Its common sense man. Its pretty clear where the industry is going, in a few years the rim brake will fade away. Most of the bikes will be disc brake, so when you decide to sell it guess what. Most people will looking for disc, or a bergain rim. It will push the price even lower. The same happened with the MTB's too.

    Common sense has nothing to do with the reasons people buy one bike over another.
    Your idea that rim brakes are facing obsolescence is not supported by the reality... the slice of the market with disc brakes will stabilise probably around 50-60%... it will never be the same as MTBikes.

    The reason is off road rim pads wear in hours, so rim brakes were impractical, as well as often ineffective, but that's not the case on the road.
    Anyway, point is there is no evidence to suggest what you are saying is true and even if it was true, the second hand market is so flat that it wouldn't make enough difference to actually care
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,912
    YiannisM wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

    The industry is heading to the disc brakes, some companies on their endurance line they dont even have an option for rim brakes. The practical part its just one of the factors, the business is an other. Simple a disc brake bike will hold its value better

    The only bikes that hold any value on the market are Brompton... a 3 year old Brompton can sell for up to 75% of the RRP... anything else has a pathetic resale value, unless you wait for 30 years, you keep it pristine and you hope it becomes a "classic" like a Colnago C40... chances are it won't

    Buying a bike with resale value in mind is a bit of a waste of time... that said, I've never seen figures suggesting what you say is true... if you have them, then point us in that direction.

    Its common sense man. Its pretty clear where the industry is going, in a few years the rim brake will fade away. Most of the bikes will be disc brake, so when you decide to sell it guess what. Most people will looking for disc, or a bergain rim. It will push the price even lower. The same happened with the MTB's too.
    And new tech, materials, colour schemes, marketing won't have exactly the same effect as the type of brake on a bike. If resale value ever becomes a factor in buying a bike, I'd assume someone has forgotten the reason they ride in the first place.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • There was a recent article on one of the bike websites from one of the big brands (I'll try and find it) stating that they had no intention of stopping rim brake bike frame production in the future. They'd be cutting off an income stream.

    Look at tubular tyres. They're as old as the hills but tyre manufacturers keep on producing them, the Pros keep on using them and punters like me keep on buying them. I'm no luddite, I bought my first tubeless road wheels in 2011, bought two subsequent sets, binned them and I've now phased out all but two of my clincher wheel sets for more tubulars.
    #f*ckwit
  • kingrollokingrollo Posts: 3,138
    Some of the more challenging sportives are now disc brake only.
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,912
    kingrollo wrote:
    Some of the more challenging sportives are now disc brake only.
    Really, do you have an example?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kingrollokingrollo Posts: 3,138
    kingrollo wrote:
    Some of the more challenging sportives are now disc brake only.
    Really, do you have an example?

    No just seeing if anyone would take the bait !
  • It was a good one.
    #f*ckwit
  • I'd rather have discs than Di2. That's what I chose when I bought my new bike last year in a similar situation and I don't regret it one bit. Will upgrade to Di2 at some point but not for a couple of years yet.
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,912
    kingrollo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Some of the more challenging sportives are now disc brake only.
    Really, do you have an example?

    No just seeing if anyone would take the bait !
    Classic, and here's me thinking I'm on Road Buying Advice forum :roll:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kingrollokingrollo Posts: 3,138
    kingrollo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Some of the more challenging sportives are now disc brake only.
    Really, do you have an example?

    No just seeing if anyone would take the bait !
    Classic, and here's me thinking I'm on Road Buying Advice forum :roll:

    Sorry - slow work day - couldn't resist - feel free to be stronger with your insults - I deserve it.
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,912
    kingrollo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Some of the more challenging sportives are now disc brake only.
    Really, do you have an example?

    No just seeing if anyone would take the bait !
    Classic, and here's me thinking I'm on Road Buying Advice forum :roll:

    Sorry - slow work day - couldn't resist - feel free to be stronger with your insults - I deserve it.
    Nah, I know the feeling :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bondurantbondurant Posts: 789
    Well I thought it was a good one KR!
  • YiannisMYiannisM Posts: 343
    Resale value its just one point its my opinion, and not my main argument. Wider tires, and safety are. Plus you can always upgrade to Di2, but you cant upgrade to disc brakes.
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,912
    YiannisM wrote:
    Resale value its just one point its my opinion, and not my main argument. Wider tires, and safety are. Plus you can always upgrade to Di2, but you cant upgrade to disc brakes.
    fair point!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 23,878
    YiannisM wrote:
    Resale value its just one point its my opinion, and not my main argument. Wider tires, and safety are. Plus you can always upgrade to Di2, but you cant upgrade to disc brakes.

    What safety? He says he never rides in the wet...
  • meanredspidermeanredspider Posts: 12,550
    they are both vanity purchases,

    Coming from the man who wants to do LEJoG on a folding bicycle to claim a record that no-one else might have attempted, this is priceless :lol::lol::lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • YiannisM wrote:
    Resale value its just one point its my opinion, and not my main argument. Wider tires, and safety are. Plus you can always upgrade to Di2, but you cant upgrade to disc brakes.

    What safety? He says he never rides in the wet...


    Exactly! Avg temp where I ride is 25 C. Never rains. Maybe I’ll resell maybe not. Di2 seems like a good option. Easier to change wheels (rim) in the future than the whole group set.
  • GrahamKGrahamK Posts: 5
    Hi
    I'd go for the disc option, I've been avoiding full carbon wheels because of the unreliable brake performance and I'd didn't want to spend a large amount on carbon wheels only to ware down or overheat the rims (although the latest wheels are better in this area). Also modern carbon rims benafit from a more aerodynamic curved shaped side wall, which can't be achieved if you need a flat surface for brake pads. With disc brakes as long as you don't crash or ding your wheels, then they will last a life time
  • GrahamK wrote:
    Hi
    I'd go for the disc option, I've been avoiding full carbon wheels because of the unreliable brake performance and I'd didn't want to spend a large amount on carbon wheels only to ware down or overheat the rims (although the latest wheels are better in this area). Also modern carbon rims benafit from a more aerodynamic curved shaped side wall, which can't be achieved if you need a flat surface for brake pads. With disc brakes as long as you don't crash or ding your wheels, then they will last a life time

    A broad selection of nonsense. Top job!
    #f*ckwit
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 23,878
    edited 14 February

    Coming from the man who wants to do LEJoG on a folding bicycle to claim a record that no-one else might have attempted, this is priceless :lol::lol::lol:

    In the same way as Jens Voigt was the first to have a go at the Hour record with the new rules, knowing perfectly well any record would be demolished in a matter of months by more realistic contenders...
    Or the very creator of the Hour Record (Desgrange, same as TdF)... he had a go himself to set a benchmark, before being demolished by someone else more prepared

    Vanity and vanity purchase are not the same thing though...
  • RoktRokt Posts: 493
    Well this post has divided opinion !

    Personally, for what it’s worth, I’d go disc.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 23,878
    GrahamK wrote:
    Hi
    I'd go for the disc option, I've been avoiding full carbon wheels because of the unreliable brake performance and I'd didn't want to spend a large amount on carbon wheels only to ware down or overheat the rims (although the latest wheels are better in this area). Also modern carbon rims benafit from a more aerodynamic curved shaped side wall, which can't be achieved if you need a flat surface for brake pads. With disc brakes as long as you don't crash or ding your wheels, then they will last a life time

    In the conditions the OP cycles, even rim braked wheels will last forever... it's only wet dirty roads that wear out rims prematurely
  • Having used Di2, the answer is clearly Campag EPS. :D

    Kidding aside, I'd vote for discs if you are regularly riding "mountains", regardless of it being mostly dry.
  • nitrousoxidenitrousoxide Posts: 3,821
    If you've recently won the lottery, why not have both? :lol:
    ================
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • YiannisMYiannisM Posts: 343
    YiannisM wrote:
    Resale value its just one point its my opinion, and not my main argument. Wider tires, and safety are. Plus you can always upgrade to Di2, but you cant upgrade to disc brakes.

    What safety? He says he never rides in the wet...

    It seems that you dont have ride disc brakes else you wouldnt question that. Rim brakes are pretty good, but not as good as disc, and i dont think that is debatable.
  • bondurantbondurant Posts: 789
    I think you missed his point a little bit...he's saying that the OP doesn't ride in the wet and thus there is less of a safety issue which might in turn push the OP towards getting discs.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
    Having used Di2, the answer is clearly Campag EPS. :D

    Kidding aside, I'd vote for discs if you are regularly riding "mountains", regardless of it being mostly dry.

    why? absolutely nothing wrong with rims in the "mountains".
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
    bondurant wrote:
    I think you missed his point a little bit...he's saying that the OP doesn't ride in the wet and thus there is less of a safety issue which might in turn push the OP towards getting discs.

    there is no safety issue with rim brakes either.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • shamrock134shamrock134 Posts: 714
    edited 14 February
    why? absolutely nothing wrong with rims in the "mountains".

    It's just my opinion. There is also nothing objectively wrong with disc brakes in the mountains (or on the flat :lol:). I guess bleeding them can be annoying.

    Personally, I'd go for discs to avoid rim wear, avoid overheating/delamination if you decide you want blingy carbon rims and also no worries if you do get caught in the rain at the summit. I value these things over having Di2 with its poor button ergonomics.

    To flip your argument around, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mechanical shifting.
Sign In or Register to comment.