Reporting things to Roadsafe

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited February 2019 in Commuting chat
Just curious how many do and if you hear much back.

I've reported four things in the last 8/9 months (and a fifth today) - all with video.

Two of the four got sent on a driver awareness course - both white van men pulling away parked up from the opposite side of the road into my path.

One incident was ignored (which was just as bad as one they did take action on - plus the driver had a brake light out) and the other I got a 'don't care' letter.

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Very rarely, needs to be quite extreme and often don't get a response.
    One of the more interesting was
    "The vehicles, and the owners documentation has been checked and the details have been added to our ANPR (automatic number plate registration ) system, and to the briefing for that area so as to alert officers to this incident. Intelligents suggests that there are other probable offences which need to be established when stopped".

I reported a driver who was driving along on a flat tyre taking on his mobile - I'd chased after him to warn him after seeing his flat tyre only to see him on the phone.

They responded that this may be one of the cases where he was okay to use a mobile phone which seems ridiculous to me..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Never even heard of roadsafe.

The bit about its fine to drive and talk on your phone if you have a flat is rubbish though.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Fenix wrote:
    Never even heard of roadsafe.

The bit about its fine to drive and talk on your phone if you have a flat is rubbish though.
    You provided details of the vehicle concerned and all appropriate checks
    have now been undertaken.
    Although the use of hand held mobile telephones whilst driving is
    prohibited under current legislation, there are circumstances where
    exemptions will apply and this may be one such case.
    As a result, from the information you have provided, but without further
    corroboration, there is insufficient evidence to take any action against
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • pastryboy
    Just to update this I've had two recent ones and on both occasions I got an 'intention to prosecute' confirmation 24 hours after submitting.

First one - well ahead of second stop line on ASL texting away. I said to her I can see you texting and she started mouthing off about being stationary! Reported just for being such a moron.

Second one - driver shouting at me and making hand gestures after he passed - deliberate close pass in a 20mph zone when I was riding at 20mph. Words cannot described how pleased I was with this one - absolute arrogant POS.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    :)

Just checked on my wifes close pass report to Operation Crackdown - advisory letter sent - that's a 100% "success" rate - as in advisory letters sent to all 5 (? I think) reports we've made with video - all close passes (out in the sticks we don't get to video much else... )
  • pastryboy
    Please find below the court result for a traffic offence that was reported by yourself.

The Result: The defendant was charged in total £826 and given 6 points on his licence

On behalf of the Metropolitan Police Service, I would like to thank you for your assistance in this matter and for helping us to try to achieve our policing objectives of reducing the number of killed and seriously injured on London’s roads.

8)

Basically, driver being a dick in a 20 zone when I was riding at 20 and holding my line (approx. 2ft from kerb) due to a coach in the oncoming lane. He closed passed and shouted abuse at me. I shouted back it was a 20 zone he shouted more abuse and started waving his arms. All for me to overtake him 20 seconds later at a set of lights. Just for good measure I noted he also had a brake light out and hadn't indicated at the roundabout.

The fine and penalty was because he refused to provide details to the police.
  • I honestly didn't know they actually acted on these, might get around to fitting my camera soon in that case
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    pastryboy wrote:
    The fine and penalty was because he refused to provide details to the police.
    Nice, that will have been more painful than any punishment for the original offence (6 points and a total bill of circa £500-650) plus the insurers love to load an MS90 code.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Would be helpful to know if people had camera footage or a witness.

Driven towards forcing me into railings by left turning non indicating driver at roundabout before I made a comment to driver and being chased Benny Hill fashion around the roundabout - response saying 'oooh that sounds dangerous, you should report it' subsequently I was contacted by the po po via Bike Radar as having written about it on here (liveried Van of K9 Capers, now Kingston K9s) and someone else making a comment about leaving dot 5 brake oil on the van which the offender thought meant to torch their car/house, the officer as there had been a harassment claim who called me had no knowledge of my Roadsafe report and was a bit baffled when I explained.

Various others including meathead in a BMW threatening me in Colliers Wood - no witnesses, either silence or a letter saying not enough evidence to do anything.

Close Pass by a car in Wimbledon almost putting me into a Taxi - Witness - Police claim they didn't hear from the Witness in time so no action.

Close Pass/almost crushed by an arctic - Witness - Photos of Driver/truck - Am told they've sent an NIP when I chased but have heard nothing further.

Guy driving like a tool and almost hit me, saw him almost hit others - Witness - Photos of Driver/car - only reported last week but have heard nothing.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • pastryboy
    Would be helpful to know if people had camera footage or a witness.

Always camera - unless you have an injury or damage to show for it I can't see you'd get anywhere with just a witness.