Which tyres?

13»

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Did you end up trying an aggressor? I was considering it to match up with a high roller II at the front.

Is it available in 2.4 does anyone know? I’ve heard the 2.3 comes up a little small more like a 2.2.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Ref going tubeless: I came a cross a new wrinkle recently.

New bike. Already had to remove the rim tape on the rear wheel before I'd even ridden the bike! the tape was poorly applied and had not sealed the rim; air was leaking from the rim vent hole. Three weeks later, I replaced both OE tyres. The rear tyre went straight up, but the front tyre just would not go up despite all my usual tricks. I even checked the rim vent hole in case that was venting air.

What it turned out to be was something I had never come across before. The rim tape was really carp stuff. It looked and felt like 30 years old Sellotape. It was super thin and crackly. Despite several layers and only being in use for three weeks, the tape had sunk into the spoke holes to such a degree that the tyre bead on one side was bridged across the spoke holes so there were 32 ways for the air to escape all around the tyre. So I stripped off the old carp tape and used two layers of Gorilla tape and the tyre went straight up.

I have to add that the spoke holes were not down the centre of the rim, but well offset; never seen that either. Wheels were 30mm internal rim width, tyres OE 29x2.6, new ones 29x2.5
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    slc123 wrote:
    Did you end up trying an aggressor? I was considering it to match up with a high roller II at the front.

Is it available in 2.4 does anyone know? I’ve heard the 2.3 comes up a little small more like a 2.2.

The Aggressor comes in 2.5 WT no 2.4
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    slc123 wrote:

Not yet I ended up buying a minion dhr 2 exo tyre from crc for 26.99. I'm still running 26" wheels on my hardtail bike but I am upgrading it to 27.5 wheels later.

I think I might get one for summer but around here its a bit muddy and slippy at the moment so going to stick the dhr 2 on.