Glasgow 2023

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,137
edited February 2019 in Pro race
Glasgow have been awarded the 2023 World Championships. This will be the first of the new style Worlds (held every four years) where all the cycling Worlds (road, track, BMX, MTB, para) are all held together (in August)

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-re ... ps-in-2023
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Wait, what? Every four years? The rainbow stripes last FOUR YEARS?

Or do the individual events host their annual WCs and it's just a big cycling family get-together every four years?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Wait, what? Every four years? The rainbow stripes last FOUR YEARS?

Or do the individual events host their annual WCs and it's just a big cycling family get-together every four years?
    Every four years they are going to bring all the disciplines together for the Worlds. The other three years will remain as they are now.

Also I should point out that it's really Scotland 2023 rather than Glasgow 2023
  • Just started to discuss this on Valencia coverage.
    The road worlds back to August.
    I wonder if that a permanent return or just for this.
    The 2022 winner is going to be a bit miffed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Excellent news :)
  • RichN95.
    The road worlds back to August.
    Unlikely with things such as the Olympics and European Championships on two of the other three years.
  • lets hope the road cycling tackle the crow road and the dukes pass
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    They'd need some serious road surfacing particularly around Venachar side...
  • Perfect chance to dust down the Nationals/Commonwealth/European Games circuit!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds exciting
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Do you reckon this would help or hinder some discipline cross pollination..? A re-arteried PFP or MvdP might prefer road and XCO to be more separate. Likewise TT and IP contenders...or not.

Bit of a shame CX will be left out on its own.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    But CX is traditionally a winter sport ?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Saw a conversation on Twitter regarding CX being left out; whilst it is a 'winter sport' and would require a major shift every 4 years - it's an opportunity missed in some regards; would have been a great chance to showcase the sport on a wider scale - even if it wasn't in the middle of winter. As said above, yet again it's been left out.

Too 'roady' for MTB-ers, and too 'off road' for road fans.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    Bear in mind that cyclo-cross isn't in the Olympics or the European championships which will take place in two of the other years. Track and MTB are (not sure about BMX for Euros).
  • Aw yes lads, so buzzed for this!!
    lets hope the road cycling tackle the crow road and the dukes pass

Throw in Tak Ma Doon as well - a stinker!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yeah, but all the "indoor cycling" events are too, which I assume is the impressive, albeit...niche, events like dancing and polo. They re not Olympic - it's basically Germany plus a few other individuals no?

They list track separately, we must not confuse cycling podcast injokes with reality ;)

Kinda think it's a shame CX is left out in the cold again (arf!). It's not a winter sport like winter Olympic sports are
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ddraver wrote:
    Kinda think it's a shame CX is left out in the cold again (arf!). It's not a winter sport like winter Olympic sports are

its not but it does require some suitable staging environment to hold it, you wouldnt hold the winter olympics in the middle of a pan flat desert, youd pick somewhere thats got the range of venues you need and snow/ice preferably

it already feels like this new arrangement means host venues will be severely limited by dint of having to support multi disciplines and there arent that many locations around the world that can support all of that, plus a suitable CX course

and yet of course Glasgow doesnt support all that, which is why the "combined" all together event will actually be split with parts in Glasgow and other parts 100miles away at Fort William anyway

so the point of it all is ?

its also worth highlighting certainly in the womens events, alot of riders combine track programs with road or MTB yet surely you always want the best riders competing at a WC event, not the riders who have had to choose based on what their national federation wants them to do instead because they wont be able to prepare for combined WC events.

cant help think by 2027 theyll have quietly retired the idea again.
  • You’re a bundle of laughs aren’t you.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Dates confirmed for the 3-13th of August.

A proper road worlds, right after the Tour, as nature intended.
  • August in Scotland replicates quite well continental climate in October...
    left the forum March 2023
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    With added midges
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    flite said:

With added midges

Racers won't be inconvenienced. Roadside spectators on the other hand.....
    Depends entirely on location though. Some areas have nigh on zero.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    If cyclocross was in the mix the CX field would be weaker as the likes out WVA, MVDP and TP would presumably be focussed on the road. I suspect it would be even worse in the women's race
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    looking at some of the earlier posts about CX: this year’s WC wasn’t exactly Belgian winter, Glasgae in August is likely to be closer.

Having said that, I was there last September in 28C, which was very odd.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Think they could do a circut with the Duke and Crow, then head back to town for the finishing circuit.

Can only be a good thing for us up here as maybe some of the roads will be redone.
  • Chuck in a Gravelfoyle section after the Duke's Pass and we're laughing, no?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Time trial is to be held in Stirling with a finish up the cobbled climb to the castle.

https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/news/stirling-to-host-2023-uci-cycling-worlds-time-trial
  • RichN95.

Time trial is to be held in Stirling with a finish up the cobbled climb to the castle.

https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/news/stirling-to-host-2023-uci-cycling-worlds-time-trial

It doesn't actually say that in the article though. I hope they do. I walked up there last year with a torn calf muscle. That wasn't a pleasant walk.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited March 2022
    Boardman was on a video on the 2023 instagram banging on about it. He won the TT up it at the 1998 Pru.
  • Time trial is to be held in Stirling with a finish up the cobbled climb to the castle.

Absolutely buzzing for this. Right in my back yard. Tried to burst myself many times up that climb to the castle. Can't wait to see some of the ridiculous strava times up that segment.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Dates & schedule released...

https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/schedule/
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."