KMC Quick Link - Permanent solution??

samfailed
samfailed Posts: 82
edited February 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I snapped the chain on my mountain bike whilst on a ride and used a KMC quick link to get me home.

Is this now a suitable permanent solution or do I need to purchase a new chain and use the pin that comes with it?

It would make life much easier if I could just use the quick link but does this leave me chain prone to breaking again? Can the quick link take the strain long-term?

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    The quick link is the permanent method for connecting up KMC chains, it'll be fine
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fine as it is. Lots of chains are joined by a quick link.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Quick links are better than stupid joining pins.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    The kmc quick links from what I can gather are good for the life of the chain, so when the chains worn, the link is too.

If the quick link is brand new it should be fine till the chain needs replacing, at which point you bin the chain and don't re use the quick link.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Most bike chains are supplied wit quick links as inherent parts of the chain. If it's the right size for the chain, it's (to all intents and purposes) as good as a normal chain link.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I use the quick link to quickly remove the chain as and when I need to, I don't see it as a one time use item. But I do use a new one on a new chain. I keep a few old ones and carry them in my backpack for emergency use or for give-aways to others in trouble.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Its only sram powerlinks that they say are one use only.

Never had a problem with KMC quick links I've had two in my latest chain as I stupidly sized it wrong and had to put a link back in.

thanks for reminder need to purchase a couple for my spares box, like to replace them every so often.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    swod1 wrote:
    Its only sram powerlinks that they say are one use only.

I regularly break open the SRAM magic link and reconnect it. Never had a problem, although it does get easier the more times I open it!
  • swod1
    good to know, I once snapped a chain on way back from work, luckily Evans Cycles was still open and walked it back to there. they only had them in stock and told me that.

Currently only use KMC quick links as I bought a few in case.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Have been using KMC quick links for years, occasionally break the link to take the chain off and replace the link when putting on a new chain. Never had an issue, its a great idea.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • swod1
    drlodge wrote:
    Have been using KMC quick links for years, occasionally break the link to take the chain off and replace the link when putting on a new chain. Never had an issue, its a great idea.

yep, probably the reason why shimano started to make them for their chains
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    swod1 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

yep, probably the reason why shimano started to make them for their chains

I read that most shimano chains are actually manufactured by KMC to shimano spec.