Slick Tyres and PSI Stuff

wardy_mk
wardy_mk Posts: 6
edited February 2019 in MTB beginners
Hello. I'm a total newbie so please bear with me. I have entered the London to Brighton bike ride and have chosen to do it on a MTB. I've done this because I needed a bike (didn't have one) and I know I'd never use a road bike after the event so thought it financially prudent to get a MTB.
I've purchased a Specialized Pitch Sport and have taken it out yesterday for a quick 10km.
The tyres were very soft so I was wondering if anyone can tell me the PSI limitations of the tyres as a general rule of thumb. I got the XL version of the bike, I'm 6'2" and weigh 95kg - if that makes any difference.
Lastly, I understand that slick tyres (or ones with less knobbly bits) will aid me greatly on this road course - can anyone recommend a set which will be compatible with what I have purchased please?
Below is a link to the bike I have.
Thanks everyone!

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV306345

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The tyres should have the max psi written on the side. Pump up to that and see what it's like. See how you get on with those tyres before you change to slicks. They'll be good training
  • cougie wrote:
    The tyres should have the max psi written on the side. Pump up to that and see what it's like. See how you get on with those tyres before you change to slicks. They'll be good training

Ah, I haven't even noticed! Great stuff. Thanks.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Not sure if the specification has changed but my mates pitch sport came with specialized fast track tyres, which are quite light cross country tyres and small knobs so not bad on road with high enough pressure.

I'm a similar weight and height, and I'd hazard you'd want to be running at least 30psi, maybe a bit more on the back tyre.

Off road I'll go down to about 27psi, much lower and I get rim hits. but if it's all tarmac then maybe just over 30 depending on preference.
  • My tyres have a 60psi limit and if I'm on tarmac then I'd run them as high as possible.

Even off-road I prefer something around 35psi. I'm not a big fan of `less is more` as the tyres feel too squishy and roll a bit on the rim, which is unsettling at the critical points.

Never had a problem with lack of grip and rider ability is exceeded well before tyres let go.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • For road, go as high as you can, (the narrower the tyre, the higher you can go) then back off just a touch to add more comfort, though that will increase resistance.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • For what you're after, if the standard MTB tyres don't suit, something like these would be a decent option if in budget

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-touring-mtb-tyre/rp-prod143816

Or these at a bit dearer, but wider and a more plush ride...

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/schwalbe-g-one-speed-road-tyre-snakeskin/rp-prod154966

Similar things in other brands are available, but for your size wheels the options are fewer.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited February 2019
    for road use the Schwalbe City-Jet is the go to budget MTB slick, a little heavier and dead feeling than more expensive options but not at all bad.

For the next step up have a look at Continental Sport Contact, much livelier ride feel and faster rolling than the CJ, at that price (circa £25/tyre) the Maxxis Detonator is also worth a look but IMO not quite as good as the Conti.

I'd use a circa 1.5" for the lower aero drag, tyres are a big source of aero drag and on a road bike the aero exceeds rolling resistance at about 15mph (as an indication - with wider tyres it's likely to be lower on an MTB), you could also consider flipping and/or slamming the stem for the event to get the bars a little lower to improve your overall aero drag slightly, it's what I do for longer rides on an MTB (including 100 mile/200km rides).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    for road use the Schwalbe City-Jet is the go to budget MTB slick, a little heavier and dead feeling than more expensive options but not at all bad.

For the next step up have a look at Continental Sport Contact, much livelier ride feel and faster rolling than the CJ, at that price (circa £25/tyre) the Maxxis Detonator is also worth a look but IMO not quite as good as the Conti.

I'd use a circa 1.5" for the lower aero drag, tyres are a big source of aero drag and on a road bike the aero exceeds rolling resistance at about 15mph (as an indiaction), you could also consider flipping and/or slamming the stem for the event to get the bars a little lower, its what I do for longer rides on an MTB (including 100 mile/200km rides).
    Yep both good options, but I'm not sure if the City Jet comes in 650B size, do they? Not on the mfr website in that spec.

Conti have a couple options, a "Super Sport" road tyre in 650B is the cheaper one

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/continental-supersport-plus-city-road-tyre/rp-prod165047

Or the equivalent of the Sport Contact maybe now replaced? Looks good, but dearer..

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/continental-contact-speed-folding-city-tyre/rp-prod170294
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry, your right, the CJ doesn't come in 650B.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.