Online injury recovery training plans

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
So almost 4 months after my accident i have finally had some more positive news today in that I am to start physio shortly and can start to do light lower body exercises - provided my upper body is still and does not move.

At the moment turbo training is out as the drs say it would put too much strain on the upper body and set back the fractures, but also said the physio would guide me. I should point out that same Drs advised me a few weeks ago, and regularly since, that I should not consider riding a bike again due to the injuries I sustained but the more i have thought about this the more I am determined to get back on my bike - hopefully the physio will be more supportive of this idea than the Drs.

Anyway, with the thought that in a couple /few more months I may be recovered enough to get back on the turbo I'm starting to think of training plans to follow as I know I am very susceptible to over train, which will no doubt set me back and slow my return to fitness. I had a coach last year but don't want to pay for him again so have been looking for online training programs which are designed specifically for injury recoveries, but they appear few and far between. The only one which I have found that comes anywhere close is trainerroad base plans, but after speaking with them at length, even these are designed for riders with some level of fitness and strength and not for those recovering from significant lay offs.

So I just wondered if anyone knew of any I may be missing?

Would appreciate and recommendations or advice.

Thanks

Comments

• I don't know of any online training plans that cover injury rehab, because, plans are 'generalised' and injuries and rehabs aren't the same for everyone.

it's unlikely the physio would have much help for you once you start to progress out (i.e. actually being able to turbo) because that's going to be out their remit for anyone that was presumably competitive/serious previously (I'm presuming that applies to you as you've previously had a coach).

i'm not sure what is (or isn't) wrong with your previous coach, but not everyone will have expertise in dealing with injuries (note: i'm not sure what's actually happened to you, but from your message it appears it wasn't road rash ;-)!). It maybe that you need help from someone experienced in this field (yes, i know it's self-promotion!). i've worked with squad riders on the GB Paralympic squad, the Aussie Para squad, and the Ireland squad. I've worked through injuries of my riders with multiple broken bones and fractures, pelvis displacements, fractured vertebrae, leg amputations, coronary heart and artery disease, metabolic disease, DVTs, and auto-immune diseases.

Give me a shout if you want some help.
    Ric
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Unless you get a personalized plan then I don't see how any standard injury recovery plan could work.
    Injury. Fitness. Age. Experience. Seriousness of injury.

When I've broken legs I just sort out my own training. Nobody knows your body better than you ?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks both for your replies.
    I realise now that the reason such plans don't exist is because they need to be specifically designed to the individual. For some reason I hadn't considered this tbh.

Previously when i have returned from injury i have done just what i feel like, but i know i tend to overtrain and after such a lengthy and frustrating layoff i am concerned i may run before i can walk, so to speak.

Ric, thanks for the offer, i may well be in touch as soon as i get a more definitive timeline for starting training again.
  • Cheers, still not certain what's wrong. but i think the general advice of take things easy and very to steady to begin with are worthwhile mentioning. feel free to send me a PM
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I'm not sure I can be too much help apart from share what I've learned, but anyway...

I had a bad hip/femur break in July, finally getting rid of crutches after 5 months. Walking is still painful and difficult though. Like you I was keen to get back on the bike, albeit a static one, and try and get some fitness back or at least halt the slide. I've never had a lay off anywhere near that long before, and in hindsight I think I underestimated how much you lose.

I started gently for a couple of weeks, and then started into a trainerroad plan (that normally would have been a doddle), but initially could barely complete the warm up. Two months of dipping in and out of the plan, and I can complete the odd session, but not two consecutive days. Power is woeful. I've also had a coach in the past, and even though he knows his onions, he's honest enough to say he knows little about re-hab.

Frustration and disappointment is the name of the game. Your accident sounded grim, and I'm fairly sure you've probably had your fair share of both of those already, but I don't think there's any short cuts. Staying motivated and determined will help a lot, but yeh, easier said than done.

Ric's offer sounds like a good one, I think if I'd had that two or three months ago, I'd have taken it.

Good luck.
  • i'm still not certain exactly what injuries the OP has. it doesn't seem to be in this thread.

@Harry-S, give me a shout. not sure if you still need some coaching or not, but feel free to ask me a few questions if it's just something quickish.