Best Bike Bell?

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited February 2019 in Commuting general
OK - does anyone have any recommendations for a bike bell that isn't too big, but will not break in the first couple of months?

All the cheap bells that come fitted with the bikes I've had break in no time at all, case in point, yesterday the temperature was 1°C, and when I tried to use the bell, the plastic level arm was too cold and brittle and simply snapped off! :?

As my commute is on a shared cycle path, it gets a bit annoying having to shout at everyone, so I really need a bell, but need something that doesn't rust, and doesn't rely on plastic parts that either lose their spring, or snap off in the cold!
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I was bought a Knog Oi for my birthday by my son. Doesn't look like a regular bell and has quite a pleasing tone. It's loud enough but not too loud if that makes sense. It's quite pricy and I haven't used it below about 3'C, at least not yet.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    edited October 2017
    I've got these on my bikes but the Chinese ones off Aliexpress rather than the very expensive American one;

G8luSU5tQ4e3MckYjt0N_OEM_BELL_BLACK_WEB_600x.jpg?v=1481759301

Have lasted well and have a good loud ring
  • adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    Its got to be the Dutch Widek Ding-Dong bell

https://www.tesco.com/direct/widek-ding ... rce=others

The 'Dutch Bell' Ding-Dong sound is really plesant (and loud). Its not small, but it is very effective.
  • veronese68
    Of course if not carried away by the obsession with small, light, aero, looking good, etc a traditional bicycle bell does work very well.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Incredibell

Sounds Ok, peds not wearing headphones usually hear it, taken a lot of abuse and not broken
  • seajays
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Of course if not carried away by the obsession with small, light, aero, looking good

Yeah - but I want all of the above too. :lol::lol::lol:
    My Strava
  • Made in England, I've got one and it's a thing of beauty

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/
  • veronese68
    Seajays wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Of course if not carried away by the obsession with small, light, aero, looking good

Yeah - but I want all of the above too. :lol::lol::lol:
    As did I :oops:
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Made in England, I've got one and it's a thing of beauty

If I was in the market for a bell, that's the one I'd buy.
  • seajays
    London-Red wrote:
    Made in England, I've got one and it's a thing of beauty

If I was in the market for a bell, that's the one I'd buy.

It's a lovely bell - but it's just too "retro" and wouldn't go with the bike :mrgreen:
    My Strava
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • seajays
    OK - not a good story so far. I decided I like the look of the Knog Oi myself, and ordered it on Wiggle. I then read the reviews (I know - wrong way round), and saw lots of complaints about spring etc., and tried to cancel (like 60 seconds after pressing order).

Unfortunately then received an email later saying it was already on its way and couldn't be cancelled. Ah well, I thought, maybe it'll be OK anyway.

Arrived on Monday, looked nice, fitted, went for first ride yesterday. Rang the bell about four times. By the time I got home, that evening, the spring is already bending away from it's normal position and feels loose, and doesn't always hit back. It's a very feeble metal spring. It's going back as not fit for purpose. :( Sad as I liked the look of it, and with a better spring it could be great.

I am looking more seriously at the Lion one above - it looks as though it's about the only one with a truly solid construction!
    My Strava
  • Seajays wrote:
    OK - not a good story so far. I decided I like the look of the Knog Oi myself, and ordered it on Wiggle. I then read the reviews (I know - wrong way round), and saw lots of complaints about spring etc., and tried to cancel (like 60 seconds after pressing order).

Unfortunately then received an email later saying it was already on its way and couldn't be cancelled. Ah well, I thought, maybe it'll be OK anyway.

Arrived on Monday, looked nice, fitted, went for first ride yesterday. Rang the bell about four times. By the time I got home, that evening, the spring is already bending away from it's normal position and feels loose, and doesn't always hit back. It's a very feeble metal spring. It's going back as not fit for purpose. :( Sad as I liked the look of it, and with a better spring it could be great.

I am looking more seriously at the Lion one above - it looks as though it's about the only one with a truly solid construction!
    Send it back and buy quality!!
  • seajays
    Send it back and buy quality!!
    Indeed. Somehwat disappointed as the knog isn't the usual cheap 1.99 bell off ebay. But price does not necessarily equal quality either! 8)
    My Strava
  • veronese68
    Seajays wrote:
    Oh, sorry to hear that. I'm a bit surprised at that as mine's been on since April and is still fine in that respect, it gets quite a lot of use as I ride on a shared path through a park and there are endless joggers and dog walkers not paying attention. The only slight issue is my fault as I fitted it too close to the stem so it occasionally dings quietly if I hit a bump.
  • seajays
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Seajays wrote:
    Oh, sorry to hear that. I'm a bit surprised at that as mine's been on since April and is still fine in that respect, it gets quite a lot of use as I ride on a shared path through a park and there are endless joggers and dog walkers not paying attention. The only slight issue is my fault as I fitted it too close to the stem so it occasionally dings quietly if I hit a bump.

Yeah - glad yours is working OK - lots of others seem to get on OK with it too, but there do seem to be a significant number with problems with the spring in the comments, so not sure whether they have a variable manufacturing/quality control problem, and I've also managed to get a duff one! Maybe it just doesn't like the Scottish weather. :lol:
    My Strava
  • veronese68
    Seajays wrote:
    Maybe it just doesn't like the Scottish weather. :lol:
    Rather different to the Australian climate, maybe it's sulking.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've yet to find one that works in the rain.

While I have bells that give a nice "ting!", "ping!" or "rrrrriiiinnnggggg!" in dry weather, as soon as they've got a few water droplets on them it's "tng", "pnk" and "kkkrrrkkkkk".
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:

While I have bells that give a nice "ting!", "ping!" or "rrrrriiiinnnggggg!" in dry weather, as soon as they've got a few water droplets on them it's "tng", "pnk" and "kkkrrrkkkkk".

Me neither

I am guessing that the rain drops have a dampening effect on bell.
  • https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/crane-sakura-stem-bell

Best I`ve ever used. And very pretty
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • seajays
    https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/crane-sakura-stem-bell

Shame I didn't see that earlier - that looks nice too. :D

My new bell just arrived though and I've gone for the Lezyne Classic. So far looks pretty sturdy, no plastic parts and the spring is nice and firm - doesn't look like it will deform any time soon.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-bells-clscbrassbell.php

Product-bells-clascbrassbell-zoom2.jpg
    My Strava
  • Toulie
    Toulie Posts: 1
    I tried every different bell I could find over quite a long period including the usual suspects. The sweetest, longest, loudest was the Arundel Jezebell. So happy with it I now have one on each bike. Heartedly recommended.
  • Seajays wrote:
    https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/crane-sakura-stem-bell

Shame I didn't see that earlier - that looks nice too. :D

My new bell just arrived though and I've gone for the Lezyne Classic. So far looks pretty sturdy, no plastic parts and the spring is nice and firm - doesn't look like it will deform any time soon.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-bells-clscbrassbell.php

Product-bells-clascbrassbell-zoom2.jpg

How is the Lezyne holding up? Have you used it under cold conditions?

I need a new bell, considering the Lezyne or the new Knog Oi Luxe. Anyone have the Knog Oi one?
  • There is a gap in the market for cool bells...

I would call them Hells Bells
    left the forum March 2023
  • There is a gap in the market for cool bells...

I would call them Hells Bells

:D Don’t know about them gaps but i need a loud bell that does not take too much space from the cockpit so i can fit all the other gimmicks (Garmin, light etc.) in there too :)

Especially now that it is winter here in Finland and people use beanies&woolhats (plus the headphones:-), my current bell does not have any effect on them.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    This one replaces a 10mm spacer on the stem.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PDW-Alexander- ... B00CJHCX8E
    I've had one for a few years. It looks nice and is loud enough for use on paths. Keeps the handlebars clear, but hard to reach without taking a hand off the bars.
  • seajays

How is the Lezyne holding up? Have you used it under cold conditions?

I need a new bell, considering the Lezyne or the new Knog Oi Luxe. Anyone have the Knog Oi one?

Yes, the Lezyne is still going strong - no problems at all - works perfectly in sub zero temperatures. Very happy with it.
    My Strava
  • greenamex2 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Me neither

I am guessing that the rain drops have a dampening effect on bell.

Anybody found a wet weather compatible bell yet? Mine is awesome in the dry, and goes "dnk" in the wet.