Locking up bike in the rain...

league
league Posts: 9
edited February 2019 in Commuting chat
Hi guys, so I have the option with C2W of a lovely Di2 road bike, or a tasty cyclocross bike, disc brake etc. I have only outside bike lockup, no protection from the elements/thieves.

Is it worth locking the road bike up and putting a thin rain cover over it to protect it, or giving up the dream of di2 (and a nicer bike for summer rides outside the commute) and heading for the cyclocross bike?

Any thoughts for those of you who also do not have a warm safe place at work for bike storage

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Cover is probably a good idea (in fact recommended by the met to help deter thieves - https://www.met.police.uk/scootersecurity) but personally I wouldn't lock up a bicycle of such value anywhere in easy reach.

Certainly if I did I'd make sure it was very insured and that I followed all the terms of that insurance to the letter.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited February 2019
    I was under the impression that if a workplace offers C2W then it must also provide secure, sheltered bike parking facilities as well as things such as showers.

I would never lock a decent bike outside, even with a cover. I'd also be surprised if an insurer would insure a bike that's left outside.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Joe Totale wrote:
    I was under the impression that if a workplace offers C2W then it must also secure, sheltered bike parking facilities as well as things such as showers.
    :shock: If only
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    rain I dont think is the problem, even in a covered secured bike shed, unless its like an underground car park, if it rains your bike will still inevitably get wet somehow.

but an unsecured outside location, you really only want something thats basically equiv of a pub bike, that works but no self respecting thief would want to touch even just for bits.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Rain isn't your worry but theft is. What bikes are there at the moment ? Speak to their owners. Any incidents ? I could take my best bike to work as it's all security passes and we'll away from the public. If your bike is the flashiest there and it's visible I'd not be wasting my money.
  • Thanks, I think you are right. I have had two bikes stolen from outside the office (albeit when I forgot my D-lock and had to use a thick non-D lock). It just makes me sad to not be able to ride a decent bike to work due to storage! Time to search for a pub bike...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    league wrote:
    Thanks, I think you are right. I have had two bikes stolen from outside the office (albeit when I forgot my D-lock and had to use a thick non-D lock). It just makes me sad to not be able to ride a decent bike to work due to storage! Time to search for a new job...
    FTFY
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Brompton and keep it under your desk. Go for a test ride and you'll be impressed.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    cougie wrote:
    Brompton and keep it under your desk. Go for a test ride and you'll be impressed.
    That's probably the best idea yet.

And if you hate it they have decent resale value, very little to lose if buying on cyclescheme.
  • I'm lucky in that I've never had to park my bike on the street...

...but if I did then I'd scour ebay for bargains. You'll find £1000 bikes or more for a few hundred pounds, often with light use and only a few years old (make sure the seller looks legit and isn't selling stolen bikes).

Potentially even better is when you buy a battered old(ish) thing but stick on a new groupset/wheels so it runs perfect but doesn't look much. Also means you don't have to worry about keeping it clean! Remember your fellow 'lock it up on the street' cyclists will bash the f**k out of yours when locking it up, they probably bought theirs for £25 down the market and treat yours as if it's the same value.
  • Good thinking. I probably should give a Brompton a whirl. I just have always wondered about the comfort factor over 12 miles each way. Time to borrow my colleagues and see how I hold up.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    league wrote:
    Time to borrow my colleagues and see how I hold up.

and this is an example of how punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence :)

Fixed gear? Old roadie in good fettle? I do hear that the lawless don't have much of an idea what they're making off with so they may not notice you've locked up a beater of some sort.
  • cougie wrote:

I drop in to see if there are any new (original topics) but this made me laugh out loud :D

I know I’m the arch-Brompton-hater, so I’m not posting to repeat that.

The idea though of commuting 24 miles RT on any folder because of bike security seems crazy. A steel “pub bike” without QRs and no other bits worth stealing is a much better idea - nowhere near as many drawbacks as a folder - especially if it’s an ugly but well-maintained pub bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH