Surrey to Solihull

trevorh
trevorh Posts: 87
I'm looking to do some longer day trip rides, maybe even spanning weekends towards the summer. I have three destinations in mind so far - Warminster in Wiltshire (I have a route for this already), Portsmouth (and back again) maybe in the same day and Solihull (I Have relatives there). Has anyone cycled Surrey to Solihull and if so has anyone done the ride without using the Grand Union Canal? As far as I can see the canal route is actually quite slow and may take up the two days with me having to get back all in a weekend. I would rather cycle up early on a Saturday (possible stay overnight) and then get the train back home. Any advice would also be appreciated in regards to carrying kit. Do I treat the ride like a sportive (gels food and spares) or do I take a bikepacking type saddlebag with spare clothing etc (essential if I do stay over or get the train back). Lastly I have a kinesis Racelight 4S and a 2019 Diverge. I was leaning towards using the Diverge for these rides with 32mm slick tyres (Roubaix Pro's) just for the comfort factor. what do you guys reckon?

Comments

• I live in Solihull, used to live in Surrey.

My advice would be follow the Thames path from Surrey (Richmond) to Oxford (Sustrand no. 4) and from there follow the Sustrand No. 5 to Stratford upon Avon. It is a very beautiful and scenic route, with a few short off road sections, which can be avoided if you prefer to stick to tarmac. From Stratford you have another 20 odd miles to go and I would follow this route, which is the one I always use

https://www.strava.com/routes/17059754
    left the forum March 2023
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Concur with ugo. Though it's route 4 as far as Reading then route 5 north through Oxford.

Used to be Sustrans Ranger for section of NCN5 from Wallingford to Didcot, since moved home to N Oxfordshire; it is pretty but does wander off the direct line in places. If you want direct, I'd follow 5 to Wallingford but then go to Oxford via Stadhampton and Cowley. The A4074 can be very busy at times with lot of HGV traffic and some stretches where it's a bit narrow.

Then as ugo says NCN5 to Stratford. Lots of rolling countryside, little kicker climbs but nothing too difficult.