The NFL - Superbowl LIII (53) - Rams v Pats

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Isn't British people being interested in the SuperBowl a bit like people who don't come from Norfolk being interested in the World Banger Racing championships?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Mr Goo wrote:
    A great defensive display from both teams. Tom Brady ultimately was able to unpick the Rams with a pass to Gronk which set up the only TD from Michel.
    Jared Goff really struggled throughout and looked shell shocked. The Pats, ever the tactical geniuses called 2 early time outs to reset their play book. It worked. I think the Pats WR Julian Edelman had more receiving yards than the entire Rams team combined.
    Thoroughly enjoyable despite the lowest Superbowl score in history.

Note. The half time show was awful. Normally there's something enjoyable about them. Only thing this one had going for it was Sponge Bob Square Pants.
    Fascinating tactical battle. Goff will either come back stronger or never get over it.
  • morstar
    Rolf F wrote:
    Isn't British people being interested in the SuperBowl a bit like people who don't come from Norfolk being interested in the World Banger Racing championships?
    No!

It's people enjoying a sport.

Weird how so many people seem threatened by it given the responses in this thread.
  • Rolf F wrote:

No weirder than being interested in the Tour de France back in the 80s, I'd say.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Rolf F wrote:

No weirder than being interested in the Tour de France back in the 80s, I'd say.

I didn't know the extent of the weirdness though? I just thought they were good at bikes and were going purple because it gets cold in the mountains.
  • rolf_f
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    No!

Weird how so many people seem threatened by it given the responses in this thread.

In what way do you logically assume from my post that I have made any comment about people enjoying a sport (or not)?! Or that I feel threatened by the Super Bowl?

See KingstonGrahams logical response (but a bit different I would say - I can't see SuperBowl having the same following in the UK in 30 years time as TdF does in the UK now - unless it's a side effect of eating chlorinated chickens!).
  • NFL drug use makes Festina era cycling look positively spotless.
  • morstar
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    No!

In what way do you logically assume from my post that I have made any comment about people enjoying a sport (or not)?! Or that I feel threatened by the Super Bowl?

See KingstonGrahams logical response (but a bit different I would say - I can't see SuperBowl having the same following in the UK in 30 years time as TdF does in the UK now - unless it's a side effect of eating chlorinated chickens!).
    Your question clearly implies there is an element of British people following the superbowl that is either not logical, needs explaining or you don't understand. My response seems reasonable in that context.

Or otherwise what is your question? What do you want clarifying so I can provide a logical answer to your ambiguous question?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    NFL drug use makes Festina era cycling look positively spotless.

I think you'll find that like all sports there was a dark era. NFL no doubt had one, but it's as clean as it can be. There will always be some that think they can cheat the system, but don't taint all NFL players with the doping brush. We don't do it those on two wheels.

Do yourself a favour. Instead of dismissing the sport.
    Watch some of the highlight packages on YouTube.
    Pick a team or 2/3 (except Patriots). Get to know some of the star players and about the franchises and history and follow them for the next season. I guarantee you'll have more than one favourite team and a handful you'll love to hate.

I like: Packers, Dolphins, Bengals and Cardinals.
    I love to hate: Vikings, 49ers, Steelers and Giants.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • You're kidding yourself if you don't think it's still rife. The NFL and the NFL Union dictate and control their own testing and it's all done behind closed doors. It's the same for Baseball. USADA don't get a look in.

$$$$$$$$$
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Tbf concussion is probably a much bigger health risk to them than PEDs.
  • Don't mind watching the highlights but a live game is ridiculous with all the breaks in play. I saw more of Gareth Southgate than Tom Brady.
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • rolf_f
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    No!

Your question clearly implies there is an element of British people following the superbowl that is either not logical, needs explaining or you don't understand. My response seems reasonable in that context.

Or otherwise what is your question? What do you want clarifying so I can provide a logical answer to your ambiguous question?

What it meant was that it seems odd to be interested in a rather strange provincial sport that exists a long way from home though if you actually come from that part of the world it might make sense. Norfolk might tend to host the world banger championships but nobody has ever heard of the world banger racing champion outside of Norfolk. So it is weird to be interested in the goings of a weird sport in Norfolk unless you come from there but it probably makes sense if you do.

It's just an observation on similarity; if you get your kicks from banger racing or Superbowl then fine. But of course, there are far better sports out there than either :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    It’s got a few more dimensions than banger racing.
  • I want to know how you can make a 13 minute half time show quite that tedious.
  • morstar
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    No!

What it meant was that it seems odd to be interested in a rather strange provincial sport that exists a long way from home though if you actually come from that part of the world it might make sense. Norfolk might tend to host the world banger championships but nobody has ever heard of the world banger racing champion outside of Norfolk. So it is weird to be interested in the goings of a weird sport in Norfolk unless you come from there but it probably makes sense if you do.

It's just an observation on similarity; if you get your kicks from banger racing or Superbowl then fine. But of course, there are far better sports out there than either :wink:
    Funnily enough, like KG, I was going to reference cycling in the 80's but chose not to. However, the path was identical.
    Grandstand showed TDF highlights in 1986 and I had a look into the sport a bit more. Similar to around 1980/1 ish when I saw Superbowl highlights on Grandstand.
    Both obscure sports that dragged me in. Vastly different to each other but both vastly alien to a UK audience.
    NFL is not a perfect sport but you'll struggle to find another sport played at such high intensity combined with such detailed strategy.
  • mr_goo
    Couple of points for those posting on this thread.

1. Perhaps it's not a squeeky clean sport. As highlighted by Mark Chapman on the Beebs NFL Show when discussing Julian Edelmann winning Superbowl MVP. He had to sit out 1st game of regular season after being done for performance enhancing substance use.

2. The sport is so physical and attritional that it wouldn't be possible to have a season longer than 5 months.

3. Tactically it is the best sport there is. It's like chess with real live pieces that run, tussle, throw, catch, summersault, dive, drive etc etc. The offensive play books are thicker than the bible, so players have to be intelligent and have a great memory. Not withstanding pretty brave. Very unlike a Premier, La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A player.

4. There is a huge College league with massive local support which in many instances has stadia and attendances that eclipse the pro game of the NFL. That would never happen in Association Football/ 'soccer'.

I got into the sport back in the 80s when Channel 4 had a show hosted by Mick Luckhurst and I think Nicky Horne. It was the era of Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Boomer Esiason, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Marcus Allen and William 'The Fridge' Perry.
    I went to see the Bears v Cowboys at Wembley in 86. It pi55ed down. I got soaked (5th/6th row) but I loved it. Have been interested in the sport ever since.
    This last season possibly the best ever. Apart from Packers not doing much. Looking forward to the draft in April.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Mr Goo wrote:

4. There is a huge College league with massive local support which in many instances has stadia and attendances that eclipse the pro game of the NFL. That would never happen in Association Football/ 'soccer'.

I was lucky enough to be invited to a college football game a couple of years ago. It really is incredible how the whole city/area get involved and how much it means to the community. A football match in this country honestly has nothing on it. Honestly, if Northampton Town made the FA cup final, I doubt there would be as much "buy in" from the county as there is every time a college football fixture is on. It starts in the gardens, the frat houses, the streets, the car parks and the bars way, way before kick off. . . in fact, from the night before.

At 51,000 seats, the stadium I went to (TCF Bank Stadium Gophers, Minneapolis) was something of an embarrassment to the locals due to its relatively small capacity. I was told of high school (ie up to 18 years old) stadia in Texas that are 120,000 seaters! (Although the design of the TCF Bank stadium is such that it will facilitate expansion to 80,000 at some point in the future).

The multiple breaks (elongated for TV revenue purposes) are very handy for more beer and cheese smothered unhealthiness.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day and would jump at the chance to go again.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • mr_goo
    laurentian wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I was lucky enough to be invited to a college football game a couple of years ago. It really is incredible how the whole city/area get involved and how much it means to the community. A football match in this country honestly has nothing on it. Honestly, if Northampton Town made the FA cup final, I doubt there would be as much "buy in" from the county as there is every time a college football fixture is on. It starts in the gardens, the frat houses, the streets, the car parks and the bars way, way before kick off. . . in fact, from the night before.

At 51,000 seats, the stadium I went to (TCF Bank Stadium Gophers, Minneapolis) was something of an embarrassment to the locals due to its relatively small capacity. I was told of high school (ie up to 18 years old) stadia in Texas that are 120,000 seaters! (Although the design of the TCF Bank stadium is such that it will facilitate expansion to 80,000 at some point in the future).

The multiple breaks (elongated for TV revenue purposes) are very handy for more beer and cheese smothered unhealthiness.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day and would jump at the chance to go again.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S BACK!

Sounds fantastic.
    Check out VirginiaTech as the team run out onto the pitch of their 65,600 capacity stadium to Metallicas Enter Sandman. The whole stadium are jumping up and down. Just an incredible spectacle and atmosphere.
    I'm gonna have to get in a college game when I next go out to US.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I want to know how you can make a 13 minute half time show quite that tedious.

Must be even worse if you have sat through hours of tedium in the hope that the half time show would at least bring some entertainment... :wink:
  • mr_goo
    Ballysmate wrote:

Must be even worse if you have sat through hours of tedium in the hope that the half time show would at least bring some entertainment... :wink:

This year's half time was the worst ever. I think the best one must have been Janet Jackson with Justin Timberlake. Google it. Lucky old Justin.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

This year's half time was the worst ever. I think the best one must have been Janet Jackson with Justin Timberlake. Google it. Lucky old Justin.

Springsteen 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06FMoT-hkk
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The Who 2010
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Couple of points for those posting on this thread.

1. Perhaps it's not a squeeky clean sport. As highlighted by Mark Chapman on the Beebs NFL Show when discussing Julian Edelmann winning Superbowl MVP. He had to sit out 1st game of regular season after being done for performance enhancing substance use.

2. The sport is so physical and attritional that it wouldn't be possible to have a season longer than 5 months.

3. Tactically it is the best sport there is. It's like chess with real live pieces that run, tussle, throw, catch, summersault, dive, drive etc etc. The offensive play books are thicker than the bible, so players have to be intelligent and have a great memory. Not withstanding pretty brave. Very unlike a Premier, La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A player.

I got into the sport back in the 80s when Channel 4 had a show hosted by Mick Luckhurst and I think Nicky Horne. It was the era of Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Boomer Esiason, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Marcus Allen and William 'The Fridge' Perry.
    I went to see the Bears v Cowboys at Wembley in 86. It pi55ed down. I got soaked (5th/6th row) but I loved it. Have been interested in the sport ever since.
    This last season possibly the best ever. Apart from Packers not doing much. Looking forward to the draft in April.

I've tried a few times to get into it, back in the 80s when it first became popular over here and a couple of times since. In terms of the sport itself when the ball is actually in play I find it interesting but I just find the constant stop / start nature and bringing on different teams for attach (sorry 'offence') and defence plus a bloke who comes on solely to kick the ball. In response to the highlighted points above number 3 is the thing that most puts me off, there's a lack of spontaneity - it is creeping into rugby as well but at least the way the game continues after a breakdown there means there is still a lot of adaptation too. I'm not sure intelligence is the right word for learning a load of standard plays and I prefer to see sportsmen looking at what's in front of them and adapting to it. It isn't like chess at all really because there, if the opponent reacts differently to anticipated you have to adapt on the move as it doesn't grind to a halt and get re-set. On point 4, that's really a whole part of the American tribal set, they really get into the whole Alumnus thing a honour of their old school / college - they sell out arenas with thousands of seats for a collegiate acapela singing competitions and I'm not convinced that coaches going around offering all sorts of financial deals to get a kid into their college to play a sport is that good a thing really. That said, the facilities they offer are incredible and I'd certainly like the rugby team I support to have something anywhere near that standard.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Mr Goo wrote:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S BACK!

Sounds fantastic.
    Check out VirginiaTech as the team run out onto the pitch of their 65,600 capacity stadium to Metallicas Enter Sandman. The whole stadium are jumping up and down. Just an incredible spectacle and atmosphere.
    I'm gonna have to get in a college game when I next go out to US.

Funnily enough, the lady we were staying with in Minneapolis was a mad VirginiaTech fan (her alma mater). She and her husband have "the means" and go to lots and lots of sports events worldwide. She said to me that if I really wanted to experience "proper" college football, that I should go to a game in any small college town in the Shenendoah Valley. If ever I'm in that neck of the woods I will.
    Wilier Izoard XP