Boardman MTR 8.9 Full Suss - Thoughts & Opinions please

nomadicbry
nomadicbry Posts: 223
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Been a while since I last posted on here...
About to pull the trigger on buying the Boardman MTR 8.9
I tried both this and their Hardtail MHT 8.9. Both nice bikes but preferred the FS.
However i have no experience of FS bikes so was curious if any of you out there have any thoughts on the bike or if you own one, how do you find it?

This is the bike:
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman- ... -2019.html

I've read two reviews one bike radar one offroad.cc and they almost entirely contradict each other

Cheers
NB
Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    To be fair, I’d look at other options if you’re paying £1,600? Calibration BBB or see if there are any 2018 bikes in sales.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Can't comment on this specfic model of bike but have seen/heard good things about Boardman FS bikes in the past.

I rode HT's for years and got a FS 2 years ago. I still enjoy riding both on different terrain but the FS gets used more and tends to put a bigger smile on my face.

There are some good sales on bikes right now on-line. I saw on Evans Cycles yesterday up to 50% off some FS bikes (I was looking specifically at Norco at the time). Rutland Cycles do as well. I'm sure CRC etc are doing the same.

As jamski said, it might be worth looking elsewhere as well. If you go via the sales, you might be able to pick up a £3k bike for £1600.

What size you after?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    That is the bike I'd buy for my grandson if he needed a FS right now. :)

i just had a look at the suspension and I saw a Rockshox Revelation RC fork and a Rockshox Deluxe R shock. Those are the suspension components on my new emtb, so they are robust. I was a little bit dubious about the suspension on the emtb, but I couldn't afford the next one up (you have to draw the line somewhere!) But I have been delighted with their performance. I had been thinking to swap out the damper on the fork and fit a Charger 2 damper to upgrade the fork to a Pike. It's early days yet, but if I continue to be as pleased as I am now, I don't think I'll be bothering.

But I will be putting some air spring tuning bands in the shock to increase the progression past the 30% sag point. I don't believe this is a shock problem, but a feature of my bike's suspension geometry.

PS: I agree with the thrust of what Billy Cool is saying, that you can get more for your money if you can get a 2018 bike instead of going for a 2019. (I've done this in the past, you don't lose any money on the deal when you come to sell).
  • I think I’d look around and see if I could find a better bargain in a sale. The MTR Boardman’s aren’t quite as good value for money as the previous Pro FS model in my opinion.