How to remove black oil marks from my white creamy road bike?

topshopper19
topshopper19 Posts: 20
edited May 2019 in Commuting general
I have a white bike. Something very similar to this.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/alight-1-disc-2019 (https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/alight-1-disc-2019)

There are black oil marks (or “stains”) on the frame of the bike which i simply cant get rid of. I have bike cleaner and with a sponge, but no matter how hard i try, just doesnt come off. I've even tried baby wipes, and no luck!

Forums suggest using White Spirit or GT85. But I need advise from people who have actually done this before. I DO NOT want to damage the paintwork!!

Comments

• Ive got a Focus Cayo carbon which is black red and white, I occasionally use gt85 or wd40 to clean oil marks off, ive not noticed any damage to the paint. I spray a small amount on a cloth or paper and rub the oil mark off then wipe over with a clean cloth.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    lemonenema wrote:
    Ive got a Focus Cayo carbon which is black red and white, I occasionally use gt85 or wd40 to clean oil marks off, ive not noticed any damage to the paint. I spray a small amount on a cloth or paper and rub the oil mark off then wipe over with a clean cloth.
    +1 This works for me.
    White spirit/meths also works and I've not noticed any damage to the paintwork.

If you need to scrub it hard, make sure you start with a clean cloth so you don't scratch the paint from any sand/grit on the cloth.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've recently discovered brake cleaner (for use on car brakes) is a very effective solvent for all sorts of things. I'm sure that would shift it.

Smells lovely too!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've found that Isopropyl Alcohol does the job without any problems. It can be bought very cheaply on-line and at pharmacies where it costs more IME.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What are the stains from ? I've done white bikes and oil and grease wipe off very easily.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    GT85
  • WD40
  • ‘Big Wipes’ that you can buy from DIY shops are good for this type of thing. I use the red top ones, you can twist them to a string and floss your cassette very effectively, too.
  • keef66 wrote:
    I've recently discovered brake cleaner (for use on car brakes) is a very effective solvent for all sorts of things. I'm sure that would shift it.

Smells lovely too!

Hi mate,

can you recommend a particular brand? also what store did you buy it from ? (note: i am from London, UK)

Thanks
  • cougie wrote:
    What are the stains from ? I've done white bikes and oil and grease wipe off very easily.

Not entirely sure. But I do ride my bike 5 days a week to and from work. about 15miles each way.

Has to be from the roads here in the UK, which isn't always the best quality! :shock:
  • MrB123 wrote:
    GT85

Does it cause any damage to paintwork?

Thanks
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    MrB123 wrote:
    GT85

Does it cause any damage to paintwork?

Thanks

Never known it to. If in doubt try on a bit of the frame that's not readily visible first.
  • keef66
    keef66 wrote:

Smells lovely too!

Hi mate,

can you recommend a particular brand? also what store did you buy it from ? (note: i am from London, UK)

Thanks

I just bought it online from Eurocarparts when I was buying brake pads / discs for the car. Big aerosol can for a couple of quid. No idea about the brand, but I’m sure they are all very similar
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    T-Cut.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Morgan Blue. Amazing stuff.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-ch ... pray-head/

Used it on my paintwork without issue.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I've found that Isopropyl Alcohol does the job without any problems. It can be bought very cheaply on-line and at pharmacies where it costs more IME.

You can mix it with orange juice too. mmmm. Blindingly good!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Cellulose thinners will get any marks off, together with the first few layers of paint!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    T-cut. It's what it's designed to do.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • keef66
    Just be aware that T-Cut as well as containing some lovely smelling solvents is also mildly abrasive. It's great for rejuvenating jaded solid paintwork on an old car as long as you follow it up with a decent wax / polymer polish. No reason it would behave any differently on bike paintwork?
  • sparquin
    sparquin Posts: 69
    Baby wipes. Unbelievably effective at such varies tasks as cleaning stains off white shoes or white handlebar tape, tar off paintwork or grease/oil off almost anything. Since they're meant for cleaning babies that should be quite worrying.