Noise cancelling heaadphones for the turbo

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
I have some very cheap over the ear type headphones which supposedly cancel ambient sound (in this case, turbo + fan). However, they don't seem to work very well. I am always a relieved at the end of the session to take them off as the music still has to be quite loud in order to cover the sound. Turning the music just means I get annoyed by the noise of the fan and the turbo instead. On top of this, the over the ear design is very warm which is also a bit annoying.

It'd be great to get something I can reduce the music level as this would not only be good for my long term hearing but I think would also help avoid building up a level of background stress from what turns in to a high noise environment.

Has anyone got a good suggestion for other headphones? What are you wearing? I did toy with getting some ear defenders and some cheap in-ear headphones. It would still be warm but might be quieter.

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Bose are regarded by many as the standard and they do in/over/on-ear types. there are other brands tho'. Blue tooth prob best to avaoid trailing wires
  • joey54321
    My hesitation with Bose if they are damaged from the sweat they'll be expensive to replace.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Same with any in ear phones but then are on/over ear better? there are the bone conduction ones but obviously not noise cancelling
  • I’ve used Bose SoundSport Sweat & Weatheri Resistant in ear headphones for the last two years with around 3000 miles of turbo use with no issues. The design works well for me and I use for running and general use. Seem to cut most background noise out. Like others I am always careful re volume and these to allow decent sound without massive volume. They come with 3 x different ear sizes and stay in the ear v well. No cables is great too.To be fair I have not used over ear headphones, but can imagine the heat might be oppressive for the amount I sweat! £114 on John Lewis with a 2 year guarantee. They were a great surprise present from my wife.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have some Bose over the ear phones and to be honest they were no better than the in the ear ones that came with one of the many phones I have had over the years.
    They work great however when I’m watching the cycling on the iPad while the missus is watching the telly.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Do you need headphones?

Admittedly I have an uber quiet turbo, but I do have a noisy fan, and I just use one of these on a shelf beside me:
    4156XclY4QL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I have a vision of ear phones of pretty much any description becoming manky and orrible within days!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Given the price of some headphones, would not a cheap direct drive turbo be better.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've a stack zero turbo. It's magnetic and the only noise is from my chain.

It's quiet enough to hear my echo dot over the sound of the fans.

Over the ear headphones would be incredibly sweaty surely ?
    You can buy decent noise cancelling headphones for £25 or so. Work for me traveling and lawnmowing etc.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I solved that problem by buying a quiet turbo, still have the fan noise, I use a loudspeaker/amplifier instead (Bose sound touch 10 on special)
  • joey54321
    So I have a Tacx Neo which is amazing, most of the noise is the fan.

I turbo early morning and try and do it without waking my partner in the next room so a speaker is out.

I currently use some very cheap, knock off type "noise cancelling" headphones, they are warm and not what I would call "A+" condition but they aren't too bad. I don't think the NC actually does anything.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    If you decide to get some in ear headphones, the ones that I bought following a recommendation in my recent thread have been superb so far.
    viewtopic.php?f=40121&t=13101759
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    joey54321 wrote:
    I currently use some very cheap, knock off type "noise cancelling" headphones, they are warm and not what I would call "A+" condition but they aren't too bad. I don't think the NC actually does anything.

Surely all over the ear headphones will be as warm ? My cheapo ones have a switch on them to turn the NC on and off. You can clearly hear the difference.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I have used Bose Quietcomfort 25 noise cancelling headphones when on my turbo trainer (I bought them for plane use not turbo use). The noise cancelling function was great and cutting out the turbo noise. They did get very smelly from the sweat and I needed to replace the pads to get rid of the stink.
  • joey54321
    cougie wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Surely all over the ear headphones will be as warm ? My cheapo ones have a switch on them to turn the NC on and off. You can clearly hear the difference.

Yup, which is why it'd be nice to swap to some in-ear ones. Though the noise cancelling is a higher priority. After all I've been using the over ear ones for > 2 years.
  • https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HH5KSKP/ ... B005HP3OB0

Just get those. If you can hear your turbo over them, buy a new turbo
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I’ve used Bose SoundSport Sweat & Weatheri Resistant in ear headphones for the last two years with around 3000 miles of turbo use with no issues. The design works well for me and I use for running and general use. Seem to cut most background noise out. Like others I am always careful re volume and these to allow decent sound without massive volume. They come with 3 x different ear sizes and stay in the ear v well. No cables is great too.To be fair I have not used over ear headphones, but can imagine the heat might be oppressive for the amount I sweat! £114 on John Lewis with a 2 year guarantee. They were a great surprise present from my wife.

Ditto, I've also got the Bose QC35 which I use on the train, etc. The sound sport are better for turbo sessions as they isolate the outside noise by plugging your ears, its more effective than cancellation which tends to work well for consistent, low thrumming noises (think trains, plane engine noise, etc).

I'd go noise isolation over cancellation
  • joey54321
    Stueys wrote:
    I’ve used Bose SoundSport Sweat & Weatheri Resistant in ear headphones for the last two years with around 3000 miles of turbo use with no issues. The design works well for me and I use for running and general use. Seem to cut most background noise out. Like others I am always careful re volume and these to allow decent sound without massive volume. They come with 3 x different ear sizes and stay in the ear v well. No cables is great too.To be fair I have not used over ear headphones, but can imagine the heat might be oppressive for the amount I sweat! £114 on John Lewis with a 2 year guarantee. They were a great surprise present from my wife.

Ditto, I've also got the Bose QC35 which I use on the train, etc. The sound sport are better for turbo sessions as they isolate the outside noise by plugging your ears, its more effective than cancellation which tends to work well for consistent, low thrumming noises (think trains, plane engine noise, etc).

Interesting, thanks for the input. Wouldn't a fan count as consistent noise though?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    joey54321 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the input. Wouldn't a fan count as consistent noise though?

Where I find noise cancellation works well is if there is consistent noise that the NC isolates, that enables you to hear other things around you and your media better. So on a plane I can hear someone talking to me more clearly with the NC earphones in as they've stripped the engine drone away, likewise I can hear my music at a lower volume as it's no longer competing with the engines. But the NC is seperating out frequences, so it's killing some background and letting others through - if someone talks to me I can clearly hear them even though the headphones are stripping the noise out.

Whereas isolating headphones just block everything. Personally if I'm walking around then I prefer noise cancelling as I can still hear traffic, people, etc. But if I'm sitting on my turbo I don't really want to hear anything other than my music so isolating tends to be my go-to.

So it's horses for courses, the other advantage of isolating is that they tend to be cheaper. Which given you're going to sweat all over them tends to be handy...
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Jabra Elite Sport for me, cheaper than Bose.