8 speed group set upgrades

simonl83
simonl83 Posts: 26
edited February 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I’ve just acquired an MTB and as it’s quite low spec, I’d like to upgrade some of the group set, it currently has an Altus m310 8 speed rear mech and a tourney Ty700 front mech with a 12-32t cassette and a 42 34 24t chainset. The gear changes are really clunky so I’m looking at upgrading the derailleurs. I’ve been led to believe that the Deore M610 rear derailleur is 8 speed compatible, but I’m struggling to find a front mech that’s 8 speed compatible. Can anybody recommend one? I don’t really want to change the cassette and the shifters.
2014 Giant Defy 1
2011 Dawes Discovery 501 Deore Hybrid
2019 Claud Butler Alpina 29 MTB

Comments

• Yep rear derailleurs is easy
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/der ... 4294963630

Front derailleur I would suggest ebay there are usually plenty of used parts on there, and to be fair to them front derailleurs last quite well. Just need to make sure you get the right type i.e top/bottom pull, band or braze on, top mount etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    M610 is not compatible with 8 speed shifters. Shimano 7 8 and 9 speed mountain bike mechs are all the same cable pull. 10 isn't.

Front are not actually anything compatible. They will work with any lever.

Shifters make the biggest difference so a nice mech with a cr4p shifter will still feel nasty.

I'd say look on Ebay or Retrobike for some nice older XT or XTR shifters and mechs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • "Front are not actually anything compatible. They will work with any lever"

Thats not true - the width of the cage varies between chain speeds and sometimes between double / triple chainsets, so whilst the cable pull determines how much it moves, the amount of space in the cage is different.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    8 speed kit rocks. Any of the older 8 or 9 speed kits from way back when will work and LX and xt kit from the 90's is really good.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.