I have a chance to return my bike...what should I be looking at?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road beginners
So after thinking long and hard about what alot of people said I've spoke to go outdoors and they said I can actually return the bike asking as no damage is done.

So this is the bike I got 2 weeks ago :

https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-nibi ... ke-p347145

And I'm thinking about getting this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540- ... 77756.html

Would you consider this to be a much better bike and worth the hassle of returning my current bike?

Or is there any other bikes for sub £700 that are real bargains? Maybe any ofast years models going cheap anywhere.

Thanks all

Comments

• The decathlon bikes do go get reports so it is a good option. Have you looked at gumtree? There are loads of folk spend a fortune buying a new bike, find that cycling is actually a lot harder than they thought and jack it in after a couple rides. There are a lot of good "second hand" bikes to be picked up there for a good price
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The frame and fork look nicer on the Calibre, but the groupset is significantly better on the Triban. It depends if you want to upgrade components, and how quickly. Some people (me included) will buy a bike with a better frame and worse components, knowing that we're likely to upgrade groupsets and wheels anyway. If you want to just have it working and not really do much to it, I would probably go for the Triban.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    The frame and fork look nicer on the Calibre, but the groupset is significantly better on the Triban. It depends if you want to upgrade components, and how quickly. Some people (me included) will buy a bike with a better frame and worse components, knowing that we're likely to upgrade groupsets and wheels anyway. If you want to just have it working and not really do much to it, I would probably go for the Triban.

Well I was thinking if just getting some really nice wheels for the calibre but then someone said the bike wasn't worth upgrading and to just get a better bike which was about saddening to hear.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Can you stretch the budget a bit? (Bearing in mind you were on about spending 500 quid on wheels for that Calibre).

Something like this would be superb...
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... gJ_OfD_BwE
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Can you stretch the budget a bit? (Bearing in mind you were on about spending 500 quid on wheels for that Calibre).

Something like this would be superb...
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... gJ_OfD_BwE

£1000 for a tiagra system though? I believe the bttwin after 900 is about 8.8kg with a 105 groupset on it.

But unfortunately no can't stretch budget .
  • mrb123
    You can get 10% off at Halfords with a British Cycling membership.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited February 2019
    Depending upon what sort of road bike you are after and if you are somewhere close to 5'9", these two would definitely be in my shortlist...
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cub ... prod165625 £579
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cub ... prod167434 £750

IIRC, Aksium q/r wheelsets are ~1880g, so potentially with something like https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-24wide ; latex tubes and say 700x25 GP4000S IIs you could easily go sub 8Kg. But even with just a tyre upgrade, the GTC Pro would be a lovely ride (presuming it rides very similar to my Cube).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • There's this?

Is this a good price?

Seems a bit heavy though?

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/cube-at ... QAQAvD_BwE

Or am I just better getting 105 groupset put in the calibre I have or a new set of lighter weight wheels?
  • mrb123
    I'd rather have rim brakes than those discs.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    have you looked at planet x? they also do cycle 2 work or whatever its called nowadays.

pro carbon with 105?

hunt wheels are overpriced for what they are.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • what about a Ribble or Planet X ??
  • Tyke999 wrote:
    what about a Ribble or Planet X ??

They both don't seem to have anything that stands out for sub £700 or am I missing something?
  • Matthewfalle
    Bongofish wrote:
    Tyke999 wrote:
    what about a Ribble or Planet X ??

They both don't seem to have anything that stands out for sub £700 or am I missing something?

not that i am aware of - sometimes they have some really good deals: seems on this occasion not.

just a suggestion.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • So my absolute limit after working everything out is £730. So any suggestions would be great. Had a look on gumtree and nothing that stands out.
  • mrb123
    My suggestion would be to just ride your Boardman and other bikes for the time being until you can save up for something else that will be a decent step up or until a good second-hand deal comes along.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's wrong with the bike you bought?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

To be honest nothing g really. But I'll only etc this chance to spend this kind of money every few years on a bike with having a young family and would rather swap it and pay a little more if it's worth it. Like £700 mark everything seems to come with 105 groupset etc etc
  • Matthewfalle
    cooldad wrote:

bike snobs on here knocked it and gave him the jitters.

if it would have been bought from their clubbie mate's shop it would have been a fine entry level bike.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bongofish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

To be honest nothing g really. /quote]

You have answered your own question there. Just ride the bike you have, hopefully your day will come when you can afford a top end bike but until that time comes don't fill your head with what ifs and don't get yourself into debt trying to keep up with the Jones's.

I think a lot of people are dissing your bike because you have bought it from gooutdoors not based on any experience of having rode or worked on the bike in question.
  • If you are set on sending the Calibre back, then this from Ribble is an absolute bargain:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-g ... agra-sale/

Only thing is you'd need to be a bit of a short-arse as it's only available in small.
  • If you are set on sending the Calibre back, then this from Ribble is an absolute bargain:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-g ... agra-sale/

Only thing is you'd need to be a bit of a short-arse as it's only available in small.

I'm 6 foot 2 haha
  • What about this?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/roa ... n=MASRT58A

Seems like an absolute bargain unless I'm missing something? 105 groupset , 9.4 weight, wheels are a bit naff but could be upgraded later on?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So you'd be trading in the budget carbon frame for a pretty generic alloy one, but upgrading the important bits of the groupset to 105. Only you can know if that's worth the hassle of returning the first bike.

If it was my money I'd just ride the bike you have and replace things as they wear out. You'll probably be surprised how long that takes. Sora is pretty durable.

When I bought my first road bike I read extensively about upgrading various bits, but in practice that first wheelset is still going after 11 years, as is the transmission. OK, I've replaced tyres, chains, cassettes and brake blocks, but the only non-wear items I've played around with have been the contact points, ie saddles, bars and pedals
  • keef66 wrote:
    So you'd be trading in the budget carbon frame for a pretty generic alloy one, but upgrading the important bits of the groupset to 105. Only you can know if that's worth the hassle of returning the first bike.

If it was my money I'd just ride the bike you have and replace things as they wear out. You'll probably be surprised how long that takes. Sora is pretty durable.

When I bought my first road bike I read extensively about upgrading various bits, but in practice that first wheelset is still going after 11 years, as is the transmission. OK, I've replaced tyres, chains, cassettes and brake blocks, but the only non-wear items I've played around with have been the contact points, ie saddles, bars and pedals

The issue I have is. If I keep my current bike. Is it worth spending £300 to put a 105 groupset in it ? Or is it worth putting £300 wheels on it? If is the frame too cheap to bother upgrading?

That's my issue I'm struggling with. Like I said earlier with having a young family. Spending £750 on a bike doesn't come every month so want something that will last me a few years bad be getting something im happy with it and not thinking I've got a cheap bike.

At the same time my bike now is not doing anything wrong. But I've never rid a 105 groupset bike but here alot of good things. Also I would say the brakes on my current bike seem pretty horrible.... But that's it really.

If there's a bike out there for sub £750 that's alot better and is a half descent road bike that may see me through some long rides and maybe into some sportives later on then I would like that.

Or is my bike not that bad and worth upgrading over time. I just don't know
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "The issue I have is. If I keep my current bike. Is it worth spending £300 to put a 105 groupset in it ? Or is it worth putting £300 wheels on it? If is the frame too cheap to bother upgrading?

That's my issue I'm struggling with. Like I said earlier with having a young family. Spending £750 on a bike doesn't come every month so want something that will last me a few years bad be getting something im happy with it and not thinking I've got a cheap bike. "

I can't answer the question about whether you'll be happy with it, but the bike will probably last a few years as it is. Then you could either sell it complete or upgrade it. A 105 groupset and better wheels would make it seem like a new bike. You can always sell off the Sora gear on Ebay; it's a staple for the commuting community.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    What I can’t understand is your figures, you say you’ve got £750 to spend. However you bought the bike for £599, then talk of spending £300 on wheels and £300 on a new group set. That appears to be £1200 to me.
  • Webboo wrote:
    What I can’t understand is your figures, you say you’ve got £750 to spend. However you bought the bike for £599, then talk of spending £300 on wheels and £300 on a new group set. That appears to be £1200 to me.

The upgrades would be down the line as and when a spare £300 comes in. Or obviously I can spend £750 now and get something with a 105 already on. But means returning the bike and spending more to put towards it .
  • My old Allez and winter (botched together) bike both run Sora and they both work fine.

Nowt more I can say really.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    With your limited budget you are never going to get something that is going to be perfect to upgrade to the bike you want it to be. You might be better just sticking with it for a couple of years and save up for something better down the line.
    I think you will find most of us didn’t start out on Carbon super bikes. My winter bike which was originally my best bike and when I needed a new winter bike. I found a great deal on a bike that had been a demo bike which meant I got a new best bike instead.
  • A good bit of advice I feel is to buy a decent bike that has the potential to be converted into a winter/commuter bike a few years down the line if you take a shine to road cycling and decide to save up for something snazzier.

In that case something like the Triban would be a good shout as it can take wide tyres, has mudguard mounts and has disc brakes. All things that the Calibre bike doesn't have.

If you get the Triban instead then don't spend a penny on it on wheels and stuff, just ride it. The money saved should go towards the new bike or if you don't actually like road cycling then spend it on the kids.