Triban 100 - questions

anga
anga Posts: 25
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello

Having a hard time getting info from Decathlon.

Few questions.

1. What is the BCD?

2. What is the width of the bottom bracket shell? 68mm or 73 mm.

3. What is the spacing between the fear dropouts?

4. What is the largest mudguard that can fit?

5. What is the maximum width of tire that can fit? With mudguard and without mudguard.

Thanjs

Comments

• steve91
    steve91 Posts: 30
    Fairly sure the BB is 68mm, and I have 25mm tyres on my 500 and I'm not sure I'd get anything wider in.

As for the rest, it might just be a case of taking a vernier to decathlon and doing some measuring. If that isn't an option I guess you could order one and if it doesn't suit you, it can be returned under the distance selling laws.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    anga wrote:
    Hello

Having a hard time getting info from Decathlon.

Few questions.

1. What is the BCD? Single 48T chainring, therefore no BCD.

2. What is the width of the bottom bracket shell? 68mm or 73 mm. More likely to be 68mm.

3. What is the spacing between the fear dropouts? For a caliper brake usually 130mm.

4. What is the largest mudguard that can fit? Will depend on fork clearances, 35mm maybe 45mm.

5. What is the maximum width of tire that can fit? With mudguard and without mudguard. 28/32mm with 35/45mm guards, 32mm without guards.

Thanjs

If you are referring to this model? https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100- ... 77732.html
    As suggested above if you can visit a Decathlon store you can double check this with a member of staff.
  • anga
    Thanks guys. Visiting a Decathlon store is not an option. Hoping to find an owner here. Apparently the triban 500 has the same frame. They can answer a few of the questions as well.

This is the flatbed version.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100-fb-uk-road-bike-id_8554239.html

1. It comes with 32 mm tires. Would like to fit widest possible tire and corresponding mudguard.
    2. It does not seem to be an integrated chainring and hence has a BCD.

Have to order the upgrades before I get the bike. Hence the queries.

1. What is the BCD?

2. What is the width of the bottom bracket shell? 68mm or 73 mm.

3. What is the spacing between the rear dropouts?

4. What is the largest mudguard that can fit?

5. What is the maximum width of tire that can fit? With mudguard and without mudguard.

6. Chainline?

Thanks
  • anga wrote:

Nobody upgrades a Triban 100
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    anga wrote:

Nobody upgrades a Triban 100

Have to agree, it's a no frills commuter road bike the Only thing I'd look at changing after worn is the tyres...
  • anga
    We all have our preferences and mine is to upgrade.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    anga wrote:
    We all have our preferences and mine is to upgrade.

The saying about a silk purse and a sows ear come to mind.
    Why not use the upgrading money to get a Triban 500 instead?
  • anga
    This is not a thread about whether upgrading a Triban 100 is worthwhile. Feel free to start a new thread and I am happy to contribute.

Can we get back on track?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    So why does it matter what the BCD of the chainring is? I doubt you're going to upgrade the chainring.

FWIW it's almost as cost effective to get a new crankset, especially if you're upgrading.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Screw on freewheel....

Would be better if it was 8 speed with downtube shifters not thoose silly handle bar jobs

bcd is 130mm probably

What upgrades are you fitting?

This crank will bling it up abit:

0024817_paul-components-royal-flush-crankset-black.jpeg

Only £265
  • anga
    Will provide the details once I get the info and finalize my plans.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    DJ58 wrote:

1. What is the BCD? Single 48T chainring, therefore no BCD.

Every chainring has a bcd, regardless of whether it is single, double or triple..
  • While Decathlon do some fantastic road bikes in the £300+ price range with decent groupsets at a great value price the Triban 100 is a very basic bike with very low end components. The same drivetrain you find on Triban 100 is found on sub £100 bikes. Personally I'd value the Triban 100 at about £180 for what you are getting. Just looking around I found this;

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... on-cx-bike

Yes its a cyclocross bike but you are getting a Claris groupset with brifters, much safer/better cantilever brakes although admittedly they look a bit weird. The bike has a rider weight limit of up to 120kg where as the Triban 100 is rated to a maximum of 100kg total load for everything including bike weight. Despite being slightly heavier bike the wider gearing means hills will be much easier and you can tailor it yourself too as it has the much stronger and smoother shifting freehub based drivetrain not the poor quality low quality freewheel based system of the Triban 100. If you have no local Decathlon store you are free to buy from any online bike retailer as you will not benefit from local support. A CX bike isn't a bad option if you are looking for a commuting bike it can be nicer on rough roads and you can take it off road for shortcuts etc.

For £250 I really don't understand why Decathlon didn't put a stronger freehub based drivetrain on the Triban 100, they have saved the cost of the front derailleur, multiple chainrings, front shifter, front shifter cable surely they can have spent some of that money on a freehub based wheel with cassette. You shouldn't buy by brand you should look at what you are getting and for me the Triban 100 is a very poor bike especially at that price point. Admittedly though if you are a light rider, spin more than grind and don't mind a very slow bike that is difficult climbing hills and slow on the flats and downhill then fair enough but because freewheels are made of such poor quality metal and have weak pawls the high gearing is limited to a smallest cog of 14. The Triban 100 would not only be a much slower bike than the Crixus but would need much more frequent maintenance because of its low quality parts and is much, much weaker so you would have to be more careful with it.

However you have stated you will be upgrading the bike anyway and I've seen some brilliant road bike offers recently just over £300 so can't help feeling if you combine your all the money together you could get a much better bike that doesn't need upgrading. Don't forget upgrading can sometimes void your warranty so to be safe you have to keep your original components in case you have to refit them to the bike for a major warranty claim like a crack in the frame.
  • anga
    Appreciate the thoughtful post.

Plan is to change the drivetrain to an IGH. Have a couple of spares. Experience a road bike (sort of) at a low cost. If I like it, will upgrade to a better bike. If not, will fit the original parts and sell it.

Can we get back to the info I need to decide?
  • anga wrote:
    Appreciate the thoughtful post.

Plan is to change the drivetrain to an IGH. Have a couple of spares. Experience a road bike (sort of) at a low cost. If I like it, will upgrade to a better bike. If not, will fit the original parts and sell it.

Can we get back to the info I need to decide?

If you are planning to use hub gears wouldn't a fixed gear bike be a better option. That will give you the horizontal dropouts for tensioning the chain as long as you make sure the dropout spacing is compatible. If you went for a steel frame you could always adjust the spacing if necessary. Personally if you are going to be experimenting and customising I would go the secondhand route.

Did you see this bike offer, fantastic deal. I'd just thought I'd mention it as its a hub geared road bike.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/genesis-d ... -2018.html

Anyway best of luck with your project.
  • anga
    I am not in the UK, so Triban 100 provides the best starting point among the available bikes. Have half-links and cogs with 19 and 20 teeth to avoid tensioning problems.

Would love to own a bike like the Genesis, but the shipping and 50% customs duty make it way too expensive. A chainglider and it is perfect. Book marked the link, thanks again.

Need to find the rear dropout spacing first. You don't happen to be near a Decathlon, do you?
  • I'm no expert on this but would imagine a fixed gear frame is something like 120mm spacing with horizontal dropouts and probably ideal for some 3 speed hubs. Different hubs especially those with more gears might need 130-135mm spacing and 135mm would be mountain bikes and hybrids and road bikes designed to cope with modern 8 speed or more cassettes would be 130mm. If the Triban 100 is the same frame as used on more expensive Triban bikes just fitted with very low end components then I guess it should be 130mm too unless they have altered the spacing because of a 7 speed freewheel I'm unsure of the dropout size needed for a 7 speed freewheel, I would assume 130mm minimum. I think if you have a classic old frame with a 5 speed freewheel it won't necessarily take a 6 or 7 speed freewheel without widening the dropout spacing.
  • Moonbiker
    You could try emailing decathalon?

Might be 126mm droupout for 7 speed?

I have a peogeuot thats 128mm.

or 130mm modern?

BCD might be 104 mtb, 130 road , 144 track

All you can buy chainrings for or you couls just swap the chianset as they are fairly cheap?

What country where bikes are so limited buying options?
  • anga
    First googled, then emailed Decathlon. Finally posted here.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    BCD is 110, drop out is 128mm, bottom bracket shell is 68mm.
  • Moonbiker
    Where did you get that info from do you have one? 8)

Not many single chainsets are 110 bcd?

I think you might of just made it up as you are a troll?
  • anga
    Tyresome wrote:

Thanks.

Do you mind rechecking the dropout spacing? 128 mm is unusual in a new bike. Apparently it was used in the early 90's during the transition from 7-speed to 8-speed drivetrains.
  • imposter2.0
    Tyresome wrote:

As with most other posts from this troll, I would ignore it.

BCD will not be 110 - in the pic it looks more like 130 or even 144. Drop out width for Altus 7sp hub should be 135 - there is no such conventional width as 128.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    I thought I’d double check what I had been told about the dimensions, and being bored and suffering from jet lag at the moment, I thought I’d see if anyone was around at Decathlon to answer my questions at this hour of the morning.

qGFq1eU.jpg

4d4HZeP.jpg

Well I never :lol:

The BB shell is 68mm, I was mis informed previously about the dropout width and Chainring though. The dropout width is 100mm, and the chainset is a one piece job which goes with the cranks and can’t be swapped out. You’ve got to love Decathlon ( and jet lag ) getting me the answer at this ungodly hour.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

Did you see this bike offer, fantastic deal. I'd just thought I'd mention it as its a hub geared road bike.

That's a serious deal, any idea on the logistics of upgrading to hydraulic discs? Assuming it might be a no go, due to the complication of needing a rh 8 spd shifter for the hub gears?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    Tyresome wrote:
    I thought I’d double check what I had been told about the dimensions, and being bored and suffering from jet lag at the moment, I thought I’d see if anyone was around at Decathlon to answer my questions at this hour of the morning.

qGFq1eU.jpg

4d4HZeP.jpg

Well I never :lol:

The BB shell is 68mm, I was mis informed previously about the dropout width and Chainring though. The dropout width is 100mm, and the chainset is a one piece job which goes with the cranks and can’t be swapped out. You’ve got to love Decathlon ( and jet lag ) getting me the answer at this ungodly hour.

FFS can you just give it a rest. 100mm will be the front fork width, not the rear - even a fixed/singlespeed rear has a wider OLD than that....and you only have to look at the pic of the bike to see that the chain set is not one piece. Not sure who is more clueless, you or decathlon.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Daniel B wrote:

That's a serious deal, any idea on the logistics of upgrading to hydraulic discs? Assuming it might be a no go, due to the complication of needing a rh 8 spd shifter for the hub gears?

XS and S sizes only.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    craker wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

XS and S sizes only.

Noticed that, but even a small had something approaching a 540mm top tube.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:

You beat me to it, as soon as I looked at the link, the first thing that jumped into my mind was... Could be a great reliable commuter with hydraulic disc upgrade! :lol:

If the Genesis is flat mount, £250 before using reward points and/or cashback for https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rs ... 89846.html

The hub shifter is bar end, like the Pinnacle Arkose did on their hub gear and the old 10-speed variant from a few years ago.
    Edit: Oh, small Arkose Alfine with TRP Hylex brakes included for £650 https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275630
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • anga
    Bump

Can we get back to Triban 100?