The NFL - Superbowl LIII (53) - Rams v Pats

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
This Sunday sees the conclusion of possibly the best NFL season I can remember in years.
Except for a misfiring Aaron Rodgers (Packers) all the top Qbacks have been in scintillating form and a couple of rookies have made a great start to their professional career ( Baker Mayfield & Sam Darnold). The outstanding Qback for me has bed Patrick Mahomes of Kansas City Chiefs. Google the 'no look pass'. Incredible.
The outstanding game of the season had to be Chiefs @ Rams in week 11, a 54 - 51 win for Rams. If only Mahomes and Co had got going earlier in the AFC Championship game against the Pats then perhaps we might have seen a similar game.
Any how for my part I'm rooting for the Rams. Should be a great game.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Who is Lill?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    orraloon wrote:
    Who is Lill?
    I guess she's a bowls player, probably still in her prime at 53.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This Sunday sees the conclusion of possibly the best NFL season I can remember in years.
    Except for a misfiring Aaron Rodgers (Packers) all the top Qbacks have been in scintillating form and a couple of rookies have made a great start to their professional career ( Baker Mayfield & Sam Darnold). The outstanding Qback for me has bed Patrick Mahomes of Kansas City Chiefs. Google the 'no look pass'. Incredible.
    The outstanding game of the season had to be Chiefs @ Rams in week 11, a 54 - 51 win for Rams. If only Mahomes and Co had got going earlier in the AFC Championship game against the Pats then perhaps we might have seen a similar game.
    Any how for my part I'm rooting for the Rams. Should be a great game.
    I think the last couple of seasons have been pretty decent.
    I think there has been some great balance this year though. Both conf championship games saw the best two teams and each were new vs old as will the superbowl.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I suspect that there will be some wet paint that needs my observation on Sunday.
  • mr_goo
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I suspect that there will be some wet paint that needs my observation on Sunday.
    Is the snooker on telly then?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Not watching it this year as I have a very early start on Monday, I'm not bothered who wins (my team, the Jets, have been typically crap this season!) as long as I don't hear about a Patriots win!
  • mr_goo
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Not watching it this year as I have a very early start on Monday, I'm not bothered who wins (my team, the Jets, have been typically crap this season!) as long as I don't hear about a Patriots win!
    Sam Darnold looks promising. The AFC East needs to get more competitive as I'm fed up seeing Pats win it every season.
  • crispybug2
    Yep, Darnold does look like he could fix a few of the Jets problems but it’ll need a lot more than just him, the new head coach will hopefully address a few more of the teams shortcomings!

The AFC east is big problem for the NFL as it seems that the Jets, Dolphins and the Bills have spent over a decade now rolling over and playing dead to the Patriots!

There does seem to be a slew of new QB’s who’ve seemingly appeared at once, Goff and Mahomes are already living up to their promise, Darnold is starting to be great but I think in the next couple of years Baker Mayfield could emerge as a true great and drive the almost permanently underperforming Browns to a divisional title and maybe a first ever Super Bowl!
  • morstar
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Yep, Darnold does look like he could fix a few of the Jets problems but it’ll need a lot more than just him, the new head coach will hopefully address a few more of the teams shortcomings!

The AFC east is big problem for the NFL as it seems that the Jets, Dolphins and the Bills have spent over a decade now rolling over and playing dead to the Patriots!

There does seem to be a slew of new QB’s who’ve seemingly appeared at once, Goff and Mahomes are already living up to their promise, Darnold is starting to be great but I think in the next couple of years Baker Mayfield could emerge as a true great and drive the almost permanently underperforming Browns to a divisional title and maybe a first ever Super Bowl!

There's a wealth of talent at QB at the moment. In addition to those mentioned, you've got Wentz, Rodgers, Luck, (Foles as super sub), Brees, Rivers, Wilson, Bortles ;) so it's interesting times.

I was disappointed the Eagles didn't fly quite so high this year. Wentz was amazing last season in effectively his rookie season. Goff was drafted same year and has been consistently progressing. Both players hugely influential in the trajectories of the two teams early in their careers.

But Mahomes, he's something else. Will be interesting to see how he develops vs how teams learn (or don't) to handle him.

A little bit harsh on the AFC East given that Pats consistently get to the championship game (it's not just those 3 teams struggling with them). Dolphins had looked to be steadily improving but kinda derailed mid-season.

I follow Cincinnati. Any talk of Browns is depressing.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    :lol::lol:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    ..always find Brits funny when they talk about stuff like this. They try to go all yank :lol:
  • FocusZing
    What about the yardage and interceptions the Rams have produced this quater? I think it's swell.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,382
    Swell?? It's got to be the winningest stats in any semester since homecoming! Jeeez
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • FocusZing
    laurentian wrote:
    Swell?? It's got to be the winningest stats in any semester since homecoming! Jeeez

Yeah sure, but it doesn't change the fact the QB are Dolphins!
  • morstar
    Robert88 wrote:
    ..always find Brits funny when they talk about stuff like this. They try to go all yank :lol:

I find the same with cycling when y'all start waffling in poncy French with yer bidons, pelotons and maillots of the Jaune persuasion.

It's just the vernacular mais non?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    morstar wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

I find the same with cycling when y'all start waffling in poncy French with yer bidons, pelotons and maillots of the Jaune persuasion.

It's just the vernacular mais non?
    Chapeau sir
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Anyway is Kaepernick playing or is trumps ban on him still in force? :/
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • morstar

He gets mentioned now and again but nobody has bitten yet. I doubt he'll play again. Only last season, it seemed daft when there were some decidedly ropey Qb's with starting slots and or big money.

With so much talent entering the league of late, it now seems less likely. Although if he stays fit a back up slot may open up.
  • mr_goo
    morstar wrote:

He gets mentioned now and again but nobody has bitten yet. I doubt he'll play again. Only last season, it seemed daft when there were some decidedly ropey Qb's with starting slots and or big money.

With so much talent entering the league of late, it now seems less likely. Although if he stays fit a back up slot may open up.

Kaepernick has been out of game too long now to be reinstated.

Will be interesting to see the 2019 draft in April. The poorest performing teams have reasonably good QBs so may go for linemen as their first choice.
    Mind you I'm yet to be convinced by Alex Smith since his move to Redskins. Maybe they'll go for Nick Foles on a free trade or draft in Drew Lock or Kyler Murray.
    Will the Cardinals stick with Josh 'The Chosen' Rosen or will they use their first choice draft to replace him. Or will Foles be attracted to warmer climes.

LA Rams v Cincinnati Bengals is one of the London games this autumn. Might even be at Spurs new ground if it ever gets opened. Quite a soft spot for the Bengals so might go.
    The other 3 games are:
    Bears v Raiders
    Texans v Jags
    Panthers v Bucs
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    How can a 'major' sport have a season that starts in September, runs to December-ish then peters out in January? Is 4 months plus some add ons. Insignificant.
  • morstar
    Mr Goo wrote:
    morstar wrote:

Kaepernick has been out of game too long now to be reinstated.

Will be interesting to see the 2019 draft in April. The poorest performing teams have reasonably good QBs so may go for linemen as their first choice.
    Mind you I'm yet to be convinced by Alex Smith since his move to Redskins. Maybe they'll go for Nick Foles on a free trade or draft in Drew Lock or Kyler Murray.
    Will the Cardinals stick with Josh 'The Chosen' Rosen or will they use their first choice draft to replace him. Or will Foles be attracted to warmer climes.

LA Rams v Cincinnati Bengals is one of the London games this autumn. Might even be at Spurs new ground if it ever gets opened. Quite a soft spot for the Bengals so might go.
    The other 3 games are:
    Bears v Raiders
    Texans v Jags
    Panthers v Bucs
    Where Foles ends up is an interesting one. Washington could be a good fit. Smith is never going to be one to light up the place but at the same time, was Cousins really worth mega bucks? I can see why they looked elsewhere but then again, at some point they need to get a qb they are going to stick with.

Been considering the Bengals game. I'm not convinced it will be a great contest though as Bengals are a weak team at present unlike the Rams. If Hue Jackson becomes head coach, well...

Bears v Raiders could be an interesting match up. Carr and Gruden both have a lot to prove next season and Bears have made huge strides forward.
  • mr_goo
    orraloon wrote:
    How can a 'major' sport have a season that starts in September, runs to December-ish then peters out in January? Is 4 months plus some add ons. Insignificant.

You need to understand any sport before making judgements.
    NFL is exceptionally physically demanding, complex and ultimately makes for a very exciting sport. But only if you understand it.
  • morstar
    Mr Goo wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

NFL is exceptionally physically demanding, complex and ultimately makes for a very exciting sport. But only if you understand it.

Tbh, I love the short season. Every game really counts and every play is executed at 100%. + It isn't a lifestyle choice to follow it. Blooming English football goes on all year.
  • mr_goo
    morstar wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Tbh, I love the short season. Every game really counts and every play is executed at 100%. + It isn't a lifestyle choice to follow it. Blooming English football goes on all year.

And with the exception of NE Pats (which will end when BB and TB retire) their is parity throughout the NFL. Mind you some teams still manage to be completely hopeless...... Cardinals.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mr Goo wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

this exactly. when i was at college over there (BC) i loved it. lost touch coming this side of the pond but its still really enjoyable.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    orraloon wrote:

That’s the best thing about it.

More or less every match matters.

Dovetails nicely with the cycling season.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    I’m fairly clueless but presumably the Rams defence Pats offence match up suits Rams because Brady tends to dislike inside rushes up his mouth rather than the outside rush and that’s exactly what Donald et al do; and Donald is good enough to draw two and still help stop the run.

You just hope McVay makes the adjustments quick enough and Gough can cope with them.

I do wonder if McVay has the balls for all-or-nothing plays in the final quarter but we’ll see.

The biggest challenge is trying to watch it as if it’s live over Mon-Tues whilst holding down a job, a long commute and a 4 month old, without finding out th me result or just permanently falling asleep.
  • crispybug2
    edited February 2019
    Patriots 13 - 3 Rams

Apparently a really awful game, not that any Patriots fans will care

Patriots now have six Superbowls to tie the Steelers with the most victories

It’ll be interesting to see now how much longer both Brady and Bellichek will, or want to, carry on, I suspect they’ll try for one more to get the all time record but their statuses as the greatest QB and coach is already assured
  • mr_goo
    A great defensive display from both teams. Tom Brady ultimately was able to unpick the Rams with a pass to Gronk which set up the only TD from Michel.
    Jared Goff really struggled throughout and looked shell shocked. The Pats, ever the tactical geniuses called 2 early time outs to reset their play book. It worked. I think the Pats WR Julian Edelman had more receiving yards than the entire Rams team combined.
    Thoroughly enjoyable despite the lowest Superbowl score in history.

Note. The half time show was awful. Normally there's something enjoyable about them. Only thing this one had going for it was Sponge Bob Square Pants.