Temple Cycles Adventure Disc

-kk-
-kk- Posts: 15
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello there, In about a week's time I will be receiving my very own Adventure Disc from Temple Cycles (https://www.templecycles.co.uk/pages/ad ... sc-landing).

This will be my first bike purchase in the last 10 years and will replace an old specialized Ive been using for commuting / training / randonneuring. As you can probably imagine, this will be a big moment!

The biggest change for me will be

1) the transition from calipers to disc brakes, which I am really looking forward to; and
2) the transition to much fatter tyres, from the current 25 to 35.

Id be keen to hear from others who have experience with Temple, whether with this model or others?

Cheers!

Comments

• -kk-
    nobody?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Has it got mechanical disc brakes.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The one in the picture has TRP Spyres by the looks of it...

PP
  • -kk-
    Webboo wrote:
    Has it got mechanical disc brakes.

Yes, its mechanical - TRP Spyres. Why?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I thought they were supposed to be rubbish.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Not sure many on here will have any experience if Temple.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    A lovely looking bike. What colour have you chosen?

First thing I'd be doing with that bike is changing out the TRP Spyre for Juin Tech cable hydraulic brakes. I think you can pick a set up for ~£140. You could probably get £40 for the TRP Spyres if you sold them.

I run full hydraulic shimano on my good bike and originally had cable disc Promax Render (?) on my CAADX. The difference between those two is night and day. Not convinced the Promax were any better than rim brakes. Changed the Promax for Juin Tech 18 months ago and I'd say they are about an 8/10 compared to the 10/10 full hydraulic Shimano.
  • -kk-
    Ive gone with peat grey.

I will likely have to ride it for awhile and cant justify upgrades until perhaps next year. Thanks for your thoughts on the brakes though, very helpful and I will do some reading up on this. I am pretty sure I'll swap the bar at some point but we'll see how it goes.

Pretty excited about the new purchase. Not the fanciest / lightest / fastest bike around, but I love it!
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    -kk- wrote:
    Ive gone with peat grey.

I will likely have to ride it for awhile and cant justify upgrades until perhaps next year. Thanks for your thoughts on the brakes though, very helpful and I will do some reading up on this. I am pretty sure I'll swap the bar at some point but we'll see how it goes.

Pretty excited about the new purchase. Not the fanciest / lightest / fastest bike around, but I love it!

Fanciest/lightest/fastest mean less to me that something I like to look at, love to ride and maintain properly.

Also great to have a bike that not many others have.